Getting that big bass?

Sketty55

Hi all. I have a friend with a cottage on a private lake just north of Bancroft. It's a small lake full of largemouth and every year he sends out a pic of his big catch which looks to be around 7lbs. I only get up there once a year and have good success on senko's and scum frog's in the morning, however these have been more in the 3-4lb range. I'm hoping to target one of the trophy size fish, so my question is.....what lure and technique do you suggest for that big bass? I went to Cabela's and the staff suggested using a larger topwater frog like a Lunkerhunt. After reading a few articles online I see suggestions for larger swimbaits, jig and trailer combo's but I really have no idea else to try. My time is limited out there, so I won't have time to experiment with everything. My buddy caught his on mostly different lures each time. 

large baits for sure. You may not catch many but the ones you do will be big.  If you read up on the lakes that produce large bass over 10lbs in the US they all use huge baits.  Large swim baits, small snake like baits.  All that said, nothing wrong with a day of 3-4lbers on regular sized baits.  

Cheers

28 minutes ago, Garnet said:

The best fish will own the best areas. The bait you use will be secondary to finding the right area.

And the area will repeat.

X2. This has been my experience as well. Locations are primary, baits and presentation are secondary. 

• Like 1

gotta know the "big bass spots" they for whatever reason always seem to produce. As weird as it is any time ive hit a 20lb bag or close to it its been within a small range of water. Go outside of that range and you will never have the same consistency.

When i think about it overall, its probably just because that structure and area is just literally the best area of the lake for the fish with access to every single kind of structure, bait, water temperature and hiding spots. its like the perfect storm.

• Like 1

We have been having really good success using large (7") plastics, and a rather large plastic craw fish. we try to get them in tight to the weed edges or into pockets in the weeds. A couple of small pieces of split shot helps get them to drop deeper into the weeds and we rig them up so they are weedless. Works for us!

Location is key and getting the bait to the fish is just as important. Some of the biggest bass I have caught have been deep in the slop. I like to find coontail weeds that have open pockets  and lower a 3/4 oz pig and jig down in and jump it around. another area is under docks and blow downs. As you look at the lay of the land look for points and channels if you do not have a depth finder then you can usually visualize what the land leading down to the water most likely continues in that pattern.  If I have no idea what is going to work them I use a fast search bait like a spinner bait or crankbait depending on the weed growth. Once fish are located I will then start to work the area with a slower bait that can get further back into the cover that is around. 

Art

• Like 1

Great advice, so find the structure and use large baits. The lake is quite small and the water is deep and dark so I can only locate  the pads\weeds (where I have gotten all my fish) and the dock across the lake. I'll give it a shot at the end of the month and post pics....this includes any 1lber's which I hold up right against the camera lens and tell you guys it's 5lb's. lol. 

Appreciate all of the advice!

• Like 1

Upsizing baits is good, but location and timing are everything. Once you have the spot nailed down, try sizing up your bait for the situation you are in at that moment. Example, if you've locked down a big fish spot in the morning, throw a 5'' walking topwater as opposed to a 3.5'', or a 3'' frog instead of a 2''. Throwing a 5-8 inch glide bait is a great option if you have any, like the River 2 Sea s-waver 168 or 200. But, finding where they are holding is everything. 

14 hours ago, smithy97 said:

Upsizing baits is good, but location and timing are everything. Once you have the spot nailed down, try sizing up your bait for the situation you are in at that moment. Example, if you've locked down a big fish spot in the morning, throw a 5'' walking topwater as opposed to a 3.5'', or a 3'' frog instead of a 2''. Throwing a 5-8 inch glide bait is a great option if you have any, like the River 2 Sea s-waver 168 or 200. But, finding where they are holding is everything. 

Just looked up the River 2 Sea s-waver. Looks pretty cool....and big! Where can you buy these in Ontario? I don't see anywhere online and they are out of stock at Bass Pro. 

6 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Big bait big fish. Live bait might be cheatin'"to some, not  I. C&R anyway. Find good healthy green coontail and and cabbage then you will find the big Moma's. They got big for a reason, they aren't fooled by hardware or plastics. 

This 19.5" was taken on a plastic ?

IMG_0538.JPG

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2019 at 1:45 PM, Sketty55 said:

Just looked up the River 2 Sea s-waver. Looks pretty cool....and big! Where can you buy these in Ontario? I don't see anywhere online and they are out of stock at Bass Pro. 

Check smaller shops that carry JDM stuff, like Megabass, Duo Realis, etc. Often these stores will have swimbaits from different brands there. I believe you could order the bait thru Cabelas or Bass Pro site and have it delivered to your place. I order everything from Tackle Warehouse or other American sites when they run sales. Then I ship to a shipping depot in Port Huron MI and go over and pick them up myself.