Is it wrong

DRIFTER_016

Don't you think that some of this is just getting a little too much for catching fish the size of bass?  I'm sure it helps to catch fish and can be fun at times, but....I guess I don't know what I'm saying.  Way too much money sitting in front of him....probably the value of my whole boat. LOL

• Like 5

I've used electronics but I probably wouldn't go this far. I'm not a tourney fisherman, and I kind of prefer enjoying the scenery. wolsley bay and the west arm are stunning enough that all I worry about are the granite prop killers ;)  to each their own I 'spose

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vance said:

the neighbours wife has 38's but that doesn't make her better just bigger !!!!  ?

Good one Vance. If you notice the fisherguy looks to be an older gent. That's about the size of screens I need to be able to see them now. Too far away for cheater glasses and too close for distance specs.

Bit of an electronics junkie myself

twin 7’s at the console and a 9 at the front. Wish I could go bigger but I’m also not sponsored lol

chris zaldain has close to $20,000 in electronics on his boat. If I was running his boat and the electronics were free I’d be doing the same thing.

If it was in my budget would have 4 16 Lowrance graphs . Don't knock it till you try it ! Currently run a 10 and a 8 not bad then used a boat recently with 12s HDS live iam sold old eyes.see it better lol.

As for the 20ft deep remark maybe here in Ontario over 20 ft bass fishing isn't overly common but try staying on ledges and sunken timber in 60-80 ft of water in southern USA reservoirs all this technology gets developed in conjunction with pro s and then it's a trickle down effect to us weekend warriors

• Like 1

Looking at my 5" screen this weekend and trying to see the depth on the graph is a pain at times. Have to zoom in but lose alot of area. I am waiting for the 55 inch wide screen HD to come out. I will manage some how, to mount it to the toon. LOL

On 7/1/2019 at 12:24 PM, dave524 said:

Somewhere in the basement , there is a 40 year old Lowrance 1510B that runs 4 inch thermal paper if anyone want to go retro. ?

I have one also but I only have 2 rolls of paper left. I had picked up a good bunch of rolls from Shag but they got lost after a fire and I can't find them anymore.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smitty55 said:

I have one also but I only have 2 rolls of paper left. I had picked up a good bunch of rolls from Shag but they got lost after a fire and I can't find them anymore.

My first good finder was an X-16 paper graph.  :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

My first good finder was an X-16 paper graph:)

Today you can get a HiTech 7inch with GPS for about what we paid for those back then and even at that they ate a 5 buck roll of paper every couple of trips, but at least you could fill up a 5 gal tank for less than $10. The X16 came out in 85, think I got the 1510B in '80 or '81, had it a year or 2 before I got the boat in '82, got it at Shortwave Marine in Port Credit when they were still on Stavebank.

36 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Today you can get a HiTech 7inch with GPS for about what we paid for those back then and even at that they ate a 5 buck roll of paper every couple of trips, but at least you could fill up a 5 gal tank for less than $10. The X16 came out in 85, think I got the 1510B in '80 or '81, had it a year or 2 before I got the boat in '82, got it at Shortwave Marine in Port Credit when they were still on Stavebank.

I ended up trading mine in at Shortwave for an LMS-350A.  :)

Got a decent deal on it with the trade in. I was the first guy in my circle with GPS. ;)

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I ended up trading mine in at Shortwave for an LMS-350A.  :)

Got a decent deal on it with the trade in. I was the first guy in my circle with GPS. ;)

I went to another paper graph, a Sitex HE357, had a wide angle 50 khz transducer ,  actually, in the end preferred the narrow 192 khz of the Lowrance, even for downrigging, ended up with both on the centre console. Yeah , Loran C sucked, never owned one but had some experience with it on a buddy's charter.

I remember the hardware store in the port. That guy carried everything for the salmon guys. Also remember Short wave. I was a shore guy back then,but stopped in there to see the fancy stuff.

The first dock at the bridge west side , was my hot spot for the run.

Thanks Dave for triggering the memory. :Gonefishing: