Gremlin in my Garmin?

kickingfrog

I have a Garmin Striker 9sv that I'm still figuring out. My first trip out it worked fine and I spent a lot of time adjusting it and getting to know it. Second trip it worked fine for half the day and then every time I'd start the motor up the unit turns off and I'd have to restart the unit. I'm not sure if I set-up an auto-off program or if there is some sort of power surge that is causing the unit to shutdown to protect itself.

My helix 5 gps does the same.. could it be a bad battery?

My group 24 battery starts my 50 merc and runs 2 helix 5’s. I’ve noticed if I run the finders for a few hours then crank the motor they both turn off. 

Edited by boombap

12 hours ago, Terry said:

Yup motor drawing too much amps so fishfinder hits low voltage shutoff point 

8 minutes ago, David Chong said:

My thoughts exactly Terry! The battery may be weak and although it starts the engine the draw will cause the unit to shut off!

Makes sense, the starting battery is 5-6 years old.  

I have a smaller battery that is used for 12 volt emergency lighting from home depot. I am able to use it for 5 hours  without recharging. This keeps it from getting any electrical interference from the starting and the trolling motor on the screen. If you want to test the starting of the motor that is making the unit shut down put a volt meter on the battery and see if it loses more than 3 volts if so that is the issue. 

Art

You can program the finder as well to alert you when the main battery is going low. I read and seen vids ,where you want to set the alarm at 9 volts. Still enough power to crank the main motor over.  Not that this has anything to do with your issue Rob.

This unit gives you the battery voltage and it never dropped more than a volt while I was watching it. I was wondering if I should have a separate battery dedicated to the finder beforhand anywat since this unit would draw more from the crankin battery.

Terry learned that from me B) ... on the BOQ when my NEW 9.9's alternator output at 1.4mph couldn't keep up to the power steering and boat draw and my screen would shut off at 10.8 volts...

Your brother's next fishing outing payment is to bring a new battery Rob!

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kickingfrog said:

This unit gives you the battery voltage and it never dropped more than a volt while I was watching it. I was wondering if I should have a separate battery dedicated to the finder beforhand anywat since this unit would draw more from the crankin battery.

I do believe that a new battery will solve your issues! 5-6 years is a pretty length of usage!

I would start with cleaning  your battery post and all your connections. Make them shiny and dielectric grease on all.

Then what size wire for your fish finder.

Most finder problems are bad install.

A good install will be 6 gauge wire to a buse under your  dash then your finder.

If you have the room, a "house battery" works well. I had the same issue a while back and put a house battery in to run all my electronics and other boat accessories. The hatches I have in the back of my pro guide 1675 will only fit group 24 batteries so this was my best option with the amount of things running off the battery. Only thing I would change is put in a battery selector switch so I can flip back and forth between the starter and house for charging purposes while on the water. 

Edited by BassMan11

On 6/25/2019 at 5:23 AM, Terry said:

Yup motor drawing too much amps so fishfinder hits low voltage shutoff point 

Yup, my 'birds did this before I got a new starting battery.  Once I did, problem solved.