Any Eastern Lake Erie fisherman here?

It's been quite some time since I've posted on this forum. There was a time when I would check in several times a day. I made the move to self-employment a few years ago and now I have more time to fish. If my customers had their way I'd be working 7 days a week ? but sometimes you have to put your foot down. I also upgraded from a 14 foot Lund to a 20-foot Tahoe. This allows me to do both pleasure boating with family and fishing. Bought it used back in 2017 and immediately had it fit with a MotorGuide version of I pilot and new fish finder / GPS. Mostly fish Lake Erie now out of Crystal Beach and Port Colborne, perch in the spring and fall and pickerel all summer-long. I know this form covers all of Ontario just wondering if there are many fishermen on here from down in the Golden Horseshoe?

IMG_1053.JPG

Edited by huey graphite

Welcome back huey. I haven't fished that area this year but this is the time to catch some big Pics in that area. They are the migrating fish that start in the west end, follow the US shore line east and are now heading west back to their spawning grounds and they are  in the Pts Colbourne and Maitland areas about now. The smaller Pics would be local fish from the  lowerGrand. Check out the Niagara Fishing Forum/Perch and Walleye section. Nowhere as busy as here but a good bunch of guys and gals giving fishing reports. There are many good reports here in the archives. The 5 fingers is a great spot out of Maitland. West of Gull rock just east of Maitland. They are deeper throughs. Fish Farmer, a great member here, has made numerous reports  about his catches in that area.

Erie is my home base for fishing. We go out at the break of dawn and head back in at 11AM. That's when the winds pick up. Then back out at 6PM and in by 8:30. My favorite wind predictor sites are Sailflow.com. and Windfinder.com. Heed the warnings. Be smart, be safe Mate. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

Go get em huey. I don't know what you are using but it is no secret the go to for the last few years is Ripplin' Redfins, colour depends on the day and the old tried and true worm harness. I start with the blue on chrome Redfin when sunny and lime green on white overcast days, to start. Another are Reef Runners. My back is sore from fishing in buddies little tinny for Smallies this morning. And my 19' StarCraft sits in the driveway! No way I can take the ride from Nanticoke to my Bass spots with this body, yet. The soul is willing but the body protests. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:17 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Go get em huey. I don't know what you are using but it is no secret the go to for the last few years is Ripplin' Redfins, colour depends on the day and the old tried and true worm harness. I start with the blue on chrome Redfin when sunny and lime green on white overcast days, to start. Another are Reef Runners. My back is sore from fishing in buddies little tinny for Smallies this morning. And my 19' StarCraft sits in the driveway! No way I can take the ride from Nanticoke to my Bass spots with this body, yet. The soul is willing but the body protests. 

I do have a reef runner and a blue and silver ripplin Redfin but I've tried both stick baits and crankbaits out there with no success I always seem to do better with worm harnesses. In particular the past couple years I've gotten most of my walleye on blue and silver willow leaf harnesses made by Juggernaut. Most of my buddy's use this same harness. We first had success with them on Rice Lake and decided to try them on Erie.

1 hour ago, huey graphite said:

I do have a reef runner and a blue and silver ripplin Redfin but I've tried both stick baits and crankbaits out there with no success I always seem to do better with worm harnesses. In particular the past couple years I've gotten most of my walleye on blue and silver willow leaf harnesses made by Juggernaut. Most of my buddy's use this same harness. We first had success with them on Rice Lake and decided to try them on Erie.

It's strange huey. Once you get west of Long Point they don't know what a worm harness is, 90% of the crazy named  spoons, like Monkey Puke and Bare Ass.  Never got a Pic on a spoon here. I've haven't bought a harness since my former wife's Uncle showed me how to make them. My future ex  wife made me a harness that was ridiculous looking. It caught fish until I lost it somewhere. Buddy most likely stole it. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, huey graphite said:

Future ex-wife lol. Why ruin one woman's life when you can ruin the lives of several. :)

I'm known to be a pessimist at times. Coming up to my 40th wedding anniversary. I'm told it doesn't count with 3 wives. Actually only 1 was legal. I actually talked to her just tonight for over an hour. I said we didn't talk that much in a week and we lived in the same house. I hadn't even seen her for over 30 years then she came to Mom's funeral service last August and Dad's just last month. She is 64 and looks 40,,,,,,,,,, maybe. I gave her enough bucks for a lifetime supply of Botox. 

• Like 1

I was offered a seat in a buddies 22 foot StarCraft all set up for longlining to go out of Port Maitland at the break of dawn for a few hours. His health is worse than mine. I don't need an alarm clock if it's  for a Golfing or Fishing outing. Woke at 04:00 and heard the rain pelting the roof. Opened the patio door facing the lake and got a face full of wind and heard the waves crashing against the break wall. Called Ted and he said no way Jose, maybe tomorrow. Went back to bed. 

• Like 1

That's pretty funny about the ex Ironmaker.

The thing about spoons vs harnesses is you need to troll them at way different speeds. I've had tons of success near Maitland with both. Greasy Chicken Wing, Monkey Puke, Pink Panties, Blueberry Muffin, Nascar, etc are all great colors. Copper backed michigan stinger @ 2mph.

Harnesses, any color at 1 mph or less. 

Thursday AM -- Water was like glass. 

Pulled Worm harness, Stick bait and small spoon.. 

Only 1 sheep head..  water was still in 60's

Did find lots of marks near gull island.

Port Maitland launch is underwater made it interesting by myself.

Edited by LeXXington
  • Like 1

Its funny normally I do the same always launching at Fishmasters but I thought a Thursday Early, no wind...

When I got back in the parking lot at Maitland was a gong show.   Good to see the area busy but wow!!

May give it another try tomorrow or go Salmon fishing always a tough choice

On 6/28/2019 at 5:45 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

I never liked the free launch at Maitland next to the pier. Interesting when any south wind is blowing. I launch up river at Fishmasters, protected and 5 bucks. 

You are getting a better deal on the launch fees at Fishmaster than most. Sign says $10, which is what I've been paying for a couple of years.

8 hours ago, Bill Shearer said:

You are getting a better deal on the launch fees at Fishmaster than most. Sign says $10, which is what I've been paying for a couple of years.

I guess I own Steve a few bucks. Come to think about it I haven't launched there for a few years. 10 bucks is still a great deal. I don't know what Hoover Marina at Nanticoke charges, some one said a few years back it was $25.00. And not the best docks, actually crap, only 1 place to tie off last time we were there for dinner. A few members here refuse to use it. The steel on their docks can leave a mark that can't be buffed out. That could be improved with a few old tires. It can be entertaining watching guys launch and retrieve their boats on weekends there. Potahawk weekend is a Gong show there. 

Beware launching at Fishmasters. There is a drop off that will hang up your trailer if you go back too far. With high water levels it shouldn't be a problem. 

• Thanks 1

Yes Fishmasters is $10.00 now  and he has a system to try and keep track of who pays.  Still it's not as crazy as Port Maitland.

Its a great place if your by yourself.

The good thing is port maitland finally put in the docks so launching looked better.

Went out July 4th.   Dead calm, crystal clear water.  You could see down 20-30 feet.  30C..   Launched at 7am-    done by 10:30 and headed to the beach.. not a touch