When your son takes you fishing

Big Cliff

I took my son to a lake for bass fishing, I asked him if he ever fished a Texas Worm, he looked at me really weird and said no,

We went out to fish for bass the next day and I hooked him up with a plastic worm,  texas style, and I could not believe the 

20 inch largemouth he caught on his first cast towards a  weed bed,  I just acted like that was the "norm"  for fishing weed beds,

Texas worm style,  hang my head in shame,   lol

My Father never took us anywhere that had anything to do with the outdoors. But latter in life I took him a few times fishing and even camping once, he didn't enjoy the outdoors at all. I never knew why.  I visited Family in Italy the first time when I was 30. My Aunt, his older sister, told me when he was an early teen he and friends had to flee into the woods and mountains to avoid capture from the Nazi's when the Allies were pushing them north east through Italy. The Nazi's were conscripting anyone under threat of death that was strong enough to hold a weapon into their ranks actually training as they marched north. They slept anywhere they could find some shelter in the dead of winter, a fire could give their position away. Some farmers gave them food, water and shelter and some alerted the Nazi's as to their whereabouts,  so they came to trust no one. Many of those collaborators went missing after the war was over and some met their fate in public piazza's for all to witness. He never told me about what my Aunt told me and I never brought it up. When I was 13 all I worried about was getting a new bike.

If I had to go through what his friends and he did I wouldn't like the outdoors either. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 3