hello ofc!glad to be here....real estate advice needed

offgriddin

hello all!i am a nature nut and found this forum on a search looking for off grid info

getting ready for early retirement,selling my home this fall and im dead serious about moving north,hopefully going off the grid.

im either looking for a remote,private wilderness year round trailer park or a lot on a 4 season road,on or very near water....id like to get a travel trailer for my first couple years.then upgrade to a cabin that is off grid...id love to start with a small off grid package to power my trailer,a package i can later upgrade when i build a cottage.ideally,i would like to be in an unorganized township for low taxes and no need for permits.i would possibly consider taking over a lease of the crown from someone

does anyone have any info on real estate,rv parks,off grid systems or help with any of my questions/.i would certainly appreciate any info

i find myself feeling excitement i have not felt since i was a young man!its very welcome feeling!!!lol

im looking for property anywhere between blind river and wawa

Edited by offgriddin
  • Haha 1

i understand the concerns,i have spent half my life in the bush.i have been on numerous hunting trips,our family has a remote hunt camp,fishing trips,including very remote fly ins....i have been dreaming of this for 30 years!!!!!

im not selling my home till the fall so i have 4 months to figure everything out...hence starting this thread

3 minutes ago, offgriddin said:

and i am kind of a hermit...i very much enjoy the solitude of nature

5 minutes ago, offgriddin said:

i understand the concerns,i have spent half my life in the bush.i have been on numerous hunting trips,our family has a remote hunt camp,fishing trips,including very remote fly ins....i have been dreaming of this for 30 years!!!!!

im not selling my home till the fall so i have 4 months to figure everything out...hence starting this thread

Can’t find the thread.  I’ve heard that lots of folks have cashed in on their GTA real estate and moved north. Many have returned to civilization. 

Issues:   Loneliness. Especially in cold season. Bugs. Shopping - all kinds, food, hardware/lumber etc.  Fuel. Emergency and ongoing health care. Internet. Cellular service. Potable water. Oh and did I mention bugs. Ridiculous for 2 months potentially.  Electricity is important. Solar and wind is fine for lights and radio. But when you  need to run a motor you need lots of amps. When we bought our 4 season cottage, that we’d eventually retire to, I was reminded of these issues. Was good advice.  Good luck. 

ill just say i have a very strong belief that we should live a certain way,and im going to do it.i spend months at a time at our hunt camp,like i said before i actually prefer my solitude,and do not like modern attitudes...i want to be alone,well,me and my 2 dogs.

i have thoroughly thought this through!!!!every single aspect....loneliness was a concern,but not anymore,i spend 99% of my time alone,might as well do it where i want to be

Tough to find any place like that on a real estate site.  Most properties where I moose hunt have a handmade signs when they sell their property. You may need to drive up there and check small local stores to find anything.  I was considering buying a camp in Nova Scotia and word of mouth seems to be a  good way to find a hidden  gem rather than the real estate people.  

Unorganized townships are indeed cheap on taxes which I believe are paid direct to the province simular to leases to the mnr, however neighbouring municipalities which service unorganized residents for emergency services in some cases charge you directly for police and ambulance. Price wise the blind river area is far cheaper then north of the Sault, good places to look are kijiji, dignam land and recreationland.net

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jmeyer said:

thank you for the kinks!ive searched the dignam land and recreationland.net before...kijiji has property and seems to be the best site

there is an organization called Boreal Forest Medieval Village,they buy big chunks of waterfront  property and sell off .5 acre waterfront lots for $2500.they are on their second project,the first was a great success...im considering buying some property from them

Edited by offgriddin

There are more than a few television series that feature individuals and families that are doing what you wish to do in the near future. In Alaska, The Yukon as well in the lower 48. Bing watch them and decide if you can really do what they are. A few months hunting in the bush alone won't prepare you for 12 months of talking to yourself, then eventually answering yourself. In my opinion from watching these shows it's a lot like crime. You can't learn it in a classroom or start it late in life. If you are retiring I take it you aren't a spring chicken. I see fitness is a huge part of being off grid. For those that are middle age they have a support family of more then a few kids. It appears 60 years old seems to be the age that one living off grid has to tap out if they are indeed solo. If I was 40 years younger I was nuts enough to try it, but, I would have someone to keep me warm other than my Dog. If someone tells you that you are nuts take it as a compliment. 

Good luck and don't let anyone tell you that you can not do it. And if you try and find you are unable to do it you did not fail, it simply is a life lesson that prepares you for the next adventure in your life. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, offgriddin said:

thank you for the kinks!ive searched the dignam land and recreationland.net before...kijiji has property and seems to be the best site

there is an organization called Boreal Forest Medieval Village,they buy big chunks of waterfront  property and sell off .5 acre waterfront lots for $2500.they are on their second project,the first was a great success...im considering buying some property from them

I would tread careful with this deal, I tried to read between the lines on the website and seen some red flags. Licensed lots? Annual fees for services? Sounds like a trailer park and if it is do they have approvals? I know it's unorganized townships they target but 75 unserviced lots on a water front would have a environmental impact. If it's a license vs deed or lease how's your investment protected? Sounds like they are more interested in the land investment part then actually giving back to the investors

2 hours ago, Jmeyer said:

I would tread careful with this deal, I tried to read between the lines on the website and seen some red flags. Licensed lots? Annual fees for services? Sounds like a trailer park and if it is do they have approvals? I know it's unorganized townships they target but 75 unserviced lots on a water front would have a environmental impact. If it's a license vs deed or lease how's your investment protected? Sounds like they are more interested in the land investment part then actually giving back to the investors

.i have my father looking into it,hes been a real estate broker/seller for over 35 years...

thanks for the heads up

Edited by offgriddin

this is why i want to be alone in the bush!!!lmao

im not asking for opinions on whether i can mentally or physically handle it,im just asking about real estate

ill take this question to another forum....

thanks anyways

Edited by offgriddin

4 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Welcome to the world of on-line forums. You'll get some of the info your looking for and a lot of what you are not. You gotta weed through to find what you want.

Good luck to you!

HH

thanks HH,appreciate it...

human nature to give advice i guess,even when its not asked...all good

Yup! Hence the name Ontario Fishing Community... we talk about everything here, not just the outdoors. Probably one of the reasons this board has been around as long as it has.

Hang in there, no one wants to see you fail here, just wanting to ensure that you have your duckies lined up tail to beak!

HH

Edited by Headhunter
spelling!

• 2 years later...