Family Paddling / Fishing Trip

NAW

Hey everyone.

It’s been a while since I posted a fishing report.  Thought I would share a great family paddling trip I had this weekend.

To be honest, I wasn’t even going to bring a rod on this trip.  It’s our first time going on a family paddle this year, and when I rolled out of town, I didn’t even know what river we were going to hit. 

We decided to try a new river that I have never paddled before.  There was a strong current and head wind, which made paddling my canoe with my 2 kids very hard, and slow.  But we made it to a nice little spot to stop for a picnic, and well needed break.   It looked like a fishy spot, so I took a cast.  I caught 7 fish in my first 10 casts.   My son Alex was my net man!  And we had a blast. 

My wife saw the action, and came over for a few casts, and she tied in to a nice pike!

When my daughter saw how much fun we were having, she decided to give a cast as well.  She only took one cast….  12lb pike!   The smiles say it all! 

At the same time we were landing the pike, my son grabbed a rod and casted and caught a nice bass.  His first time doing the entire process and catching a fish all by himself!   

All in, we caught about 15 fish in the hour we were there.  And we brought 2 pike home to turn in to fish tacos!!

The paddle back was full of smiles and fish stories, with the wind at our tail, and the current pushing us home.  It could not have been a better day!!

Really really good memories had by all!

20190608_154249(0).jpg

20190608_161723.jpg

20190608_163048.jpg

20190608_163208.jpg

20190608_164917.jpg

20190608_171825.jpg

20190608_180312.jpg

20190608_180821.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, streamside said:

The kind of trip that will have the kids anticipating more great adventures all summer. Kudos to you, doing it right!

I hope so!!  Our last few times out have been slow.  Small pan fish, but nothing to really get their (an my) blood pumping!  

Hopefully this will re-ignite the spark! 

My God Nick, talk about priceless. I have had many similar days like that, new water, no idea if there is fish in it and catch every cast!!!! Then the alarm clock goes off and spoils the entire trip. 

Man that Northern is bigger than your little girl! What a beautiful Family you have there Nick, you must be very proud. Way to go.

What's this? "I wasn't even going to bring a rod." If I had a business meeting in downtown T.O. I brought my tackle. Often stopping on Front St. for pike or hit the pier at Oakville. Complete with a 3 piece suit and shinny shoes. I once had a meeting downtown T.O. and drove my bosses, boss. I  asked if he had an extra 1/2 hour? He thought we were going to Oakville for a Pop. I pulled out my rod and reel once we parked and within 15 minutes had a nice Salmon on. The next time there was a meeting he insisted I go and drive him. When I picked him up he had rod and reel in hand. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

My God Nick, talk about priceless. I have had many similar days like that, new water, no idea if there is fish in it and catch every cast!!!! Then the alarm clock goes off and spoils the entire trip. 

Man that Northern is bigger than your little girl! What a beautiful Family you have there Nick, you must be very proud. Way to go.

What's this? "I wasn't even going to bring a rod." If I had a business meeting in downtown T.O. I brought my tackle. Often stopping on Front St. for pike or hit the pier at Oakville. Complete with a 3 piece suit and shinny shoes. I once had a meeting downtown T.O. and drove my bosses, boss. I  asked if he had an extra 1/2 hour? He thought we were going to Oakville for a Pop. I pulled out my rod and reel once we parked and within 15 minutes had a nice Salmon on. The next time there was a meeting he insisted I go and drive him. When I picked him up he had rod and reel in hand. 

That would have been quite the site to see OI..!!  

My kids are great!  My oldest daughter is 12, and she has lost the desire to go fishing.  But my two 6 year olds LOVE it.  And they all love eating fish as well.    So it's a win win!

15 hours ago, NAW said:

That would have been quite the site to see OI..!!  

My kids are great!  My oldest daughter is 12, and she has lost the desire to go fishing.  But my two 6 year olds LOVE it.  And they all love eating fish as well.    So it's a win win!

In a year or so she will have lost the desire to be seen in public with you! Her attitude will change though, about the time you are paying for her wedding. 

• Like 1