Stop fishing bass OOS!

captpierre

Chewed out an Ohio boat this morning casting top water baits at my shore/dock. That’s twice in 2 days ?. 2 boats. 

Yesterday a tournament guy in a Ranger scouted the shallow shoreline. No rods. I guess looking for nests for opening. That’s more like it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitespinnerbait said:

Good luck with that, many have tried to change the world before......many have failed.

Nobody said anything about changing the world, he simply said he chewed someone out for apparently fishing for bass OOS

21 minutes ago, lew said:

Nobody said anything about changing the world, he simply said he chewed someone out for apparently fishing for bass OOS

Yes he did do that Lew,but,they will continue. Hence his statement. How many fishers out there,how many CO,s ??????????????? No disrespect.

58 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

Good on you Cap't for saying something to the American poachers.

Also, I'm not so sure having a year round open season on pike in 17 is such a good idea. I've seen some abuse of Balsam bass because of this.

Yup, I know they want to get pike out of the kawarthas, but the MNR is crazy to think guys aren't in there targeting OOS bass and muskie while  'pike' fishing.   Hell I see it up my way!   Fully rigged out bass boats fishing this one little lake for 'pike'    Problem is, there's no pike in it.  Just largies..   

Please REPORT suspected poaching, abuses or theft of our natural resources QUICKLY and with as many DETAILS as possible.
  1. MNR TIPS Line 1-877-TIPS MNR (1-877-847-7667)
  2. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Offices.
  3. Crimestoppers 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)

32 minutes ago, msp said:

MNRF should just open a catch and release season for bass from May long weekend to bass opener

then our fisheries would turn into the depleted mess that is united states bass fishing.

Our fishing is so damn good for a reason, im a fan of keeping it this way as painful as it is. Let the fish on the beds  do their thing in peace. 

Yes a few A holes are always going to be a mess, but the last thing the kawarthas needs is a bunch of idiots hammering bed fish for a month straight. If everyone actually practiced proper catch and release then id consider it...but sadly thats about 10% of people that fish. 

Tight regs, and even harsher enforcement. Lets keep our bass fisheries the way they are...the best in the world.

Edited by AKRISONER

4 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

then our fisheries would turn into the depleted mess that is united states bass fishing.

Our fishing is so damn good for a reason, im a fan of keeping it this way as painful as it is. Let the fish on the beds  do their thing in peace. 

Yes a few A holes are always going to be a mess, but the last thing the kawarthas needs is a bunch of idiots hammering bed fish for a month straight. If everyone actually practiced proper catch and release then id consider it...but sadly thats about 10% of people that fish. 

Tight regs, and even harsher enforcement. Lets keep our bass fisheries the way they are...the best in the world.

Well said. Agree 

42 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Seen way too many doing this.

one of my favourite moments jimmer, literally right in front of your place last year on the friday before opener i was doing some autocharting of a not so well graphed area and as im making my laps two guys go by throwing spinner baits on medium bass gear. I yell, "you know bass is closed right?" "were fishing musky" 

cant fix stupid.

44 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

one of my favourite moments jimmer, literally right in front of your place last year on the friday before opener i was doing some autocharting of a not so well graphed area and as im making my laps two guys go by throwing spinner baits on medium bass gear. I yell, "you know bass is closed right?" "were fishing musky" 

cant fix stupid.

That is a dilemma, because many people do use smaller baits for muskie.  I find they like the smaller baits in the early season, but it's also easy to say they're fishing for muskie when fishing for bass. No way to prove anything there, unfortunately.  It really comes down to the integrity of the angler.

That's why I rarely even go to Erie anymore for early season Smallies although it is legal to target them there. I can wait until the season opens here and love fishing for all species of fish including pike. You are always going to have incidental catches of bass while out pike fishing because the presentations and lures are often the same. But it you catch a couple of bass then you should move on! Then there are those you deliberately target bass OOS or on beds, thinking that its okay as long as they don't keep them. TOTALLY should be charged!!!!

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

X3. Read an article not long ago by Gord Pyzer about bed fishing bass and the impacts it can have. 

Edited by Musky Plug

I was disappointed when they moved the bass opening up one week, specifically because of years like this one.  They should never have an early catch and release season here.  That just sets precedence for having a catch and release for every species, including trout. There are plenty of species to target before bass opens.

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I think anyone breaking the law should face punishment. If you see it and you do not report it then you are as guilty as they are for turning a blind eye. I personally disagree on the state of bass fishing in the U.S. I have fished for both and honestly don't bass fish up North because I can do that down here. I however do not have musky or pike due to the warm weather so they are what I target.  I think that up North needs the added protection due to the short growing season and the higher mortality as water levels fluctuate. 

Art

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aplumma said:

I personally disagree on the state of bass fishing in the U.S. I have fished for both and honestly don't bass fish up North because I can do that down here.

I fish both, ive heard some of the back lakes in virginia are good...obviously the great lakes and some places in wisconsin seem to be producing, but ill tell you right now, alabama, south carolina, north carolina all dont even come close to shaking a stick at ontario's bass fishing. Ill let you know how tennessee goes next year as well. Ya we dont get 10lbers, but you also will never get skunked for 4 straight days fishing anywhere in ontario.

Edited by AKRISONER

If you decide as you go thru Virginia Take a day and Fish the Potomac River you will not be disappointed. I have fished further South and have had a good time fishing for Bass but I find that I get side tracked for Crappie and if Saltwater is near,forget it I am hitting the inshore fishing. I went down to Florida in March and caught a few nice bass nd then it was all Saltwater .

I am lucky that an accidental fish was released called the snakehead in the Potomac it has proven to not do the damage forecasted and has added a great sport fish that taste excellent. I hope they do not get out of the area and with the saltwater influence it has the possibility to contain them if people do not get stupid.

I will say the reason I fish around is to target the different species and the glorious Great White North has a huge place in my heart both for the people and the outdoors that you all have and thankfully share. 

Art

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, AKRISONER said:

I guess you are correct. The US lakes do a ton of stocking and Ontario is strictly reliant on natural reproduction.

Predation by Gobies probably does not help.