.... HEY! How you doin?! Nipissing HELP!

Hey OFC! My severe busy life and rapidly expanding family has made it difficult to post here like I used to. I think The last time I posted here it was 2016!

I’m Sorry.

I miss this forum and I’m gonna put more time in it in the future. It’s been way too long!

I need some help. Rather, my mom and dad need some help. They are staying at Tom Rae lodge in the South Bay of Nipissing RIGHT NOW. In fact, they’ve been there since Saturday the 1st. They have fished hard and have only come up with 15 walleyes. Only 1 was a keeper! This is really disappointing to them. I know there are tons of different fish that they could target, but walleyes are all they care about.  They are in there 70’s so I can’t expect them to put too many miles on their boat to get on fish. They like trolling worm harness’ but I think they need to try something different. 

If you can think of something that may help them get on good quality keeper walleyes and it’s within the confines of South Bay, we would be eternally grateful for your help! And if your assistances help, I’ll be more then happy to post pics of their success.

Thanks everyone and tightest of lines!!

I have very little experience catching walleye, although I have fished Nipissing once before, many moons ago. Dressed Mepps black fury 3 with a worm was landing walleye if I remember correctly. 

• Like 2

Thanks Weeds, I appreciate your reply and I will pass the info on to them. They will be up there till Thursday I believe. I hear the weather on Nip really stinks...... ugh 

by far this has been there worst trip. May be their last. I hope not.

thanks again Weeds

My friends were there May 24, in South Bay, different lodge and had a tough time. High water levels and everything so far behind. Only had one keeper.

When I was there last year, ironically enough, the very bay your in, we managed many keepers on hard jerkbaits. I couldnt believe it as it was probably the last place id be in. 

On 6/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, lew said:

I'm heading to the West Arm on Saturday for a week, not looking too bad then...hopefully.

Good luck lew. The bugs are atrocious!! Bring the deet!!

23 hours ago, Dan668 said:

My friends were there May 24, in South Bay, different lodge and had a tough time. High water levels and everything so far behind. Only had one keeper.

When I was there last year, ironically enough, the very bay your in, we managed many keepers on hard jerkbaits. I couldnt believe it as it was probably the last place id be in. 

My dads estimation is the water is over a foot higher then normal. Same goes for my parents. They had caught over 100 walleyes last year at this time. 

Thanks for the replys fellas. 

TRIP UPDATE..........

Dad called this morning and said he had fallen on his way down to the boat. Messed his knee up quite badly. Why he doesn’t drive his truck down to the dock when there is a road to it is beyond me. So he goes to a clinic to have it checked. Considering we are Americans, we have no idea what to expect. Well long story short, he can’t get an X-ray till tomorrow and won’t be seen by a doctor. So with the help of the camp owner they will pack up tonight and head home in the morning. My mom will drive (be patient dad!!) two days early 

two week trip total walleye keepers.....

thanks for reading!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 9:13 AM, lew said:

Hopefully your Dad's injury isn't too serious, that's a lousy way to end a holiday for sure.

Thanks Lew.

Hate to say it, but it was. When he fell, his left leg slipped forward and his right foot stayed below him. He tore his  quadricep muscles from below his knee. He had  surgery and is recovering. Dad is 76 years old and doctors are saying his recovery will be at least 10 months. Ugh! He may not be back next year. 

On 6/12/2019 at 9:45 AM, jimmer said:

That is a tough way to end a holiday, I hope he is okay. Fishing can be tough and most of us learn that there are those disappointing trips on occasion. Next year can be a completely different outcome.

Thanks jimmer.  

Last year was incredible for keepers. I believe he said they caught over 75 walleyes in the keeper range. Mom literally ate walleyes every day and didn’t get sick of it. 

16 hours ago, Steelheadphycho said:

Last year was incredible for keepers. I believe he said they caught over 75 walleyes in the keeper range. Mom literally ate walleyes every day and didn’t get sick of it. 

Sorry to be "that guy", but this is impossible. Keepers are 1 in 50 in Nipissing. Do they realize keeper size is 18in and over?

That's really too bad about your dad's leg. Sounds like a gnarly injury. 

39 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Sorry to be "that guy", but this is impossible. Keepers are 1 in 50 in Nipissing. Do they realize keeper size is 18in and over?

0 for 75 in a day and half of fishing last weekend!

We let some fine eaters go back being short about an inch. We referred to them as "market fish" as that is where they are going to eventually end up!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Sorry to hear about Dad's knee. A great way to spoil any road trip. I'm not 65 yet and find I really have to be careful walking on uneven ground, even level ground the turf monsters will trip me. 

Haven't fished Nipp in the summer for years and but I hear the tough Walleye fishing your parents found is normal up there now. Very few keepers Ice Fishing as well. Off topic but getting health insurance is important for US visitors. Many of my relatives are from the US and I urge them to get Blue Cross for example. One didn't a few years ago and 5 stiches and a CT scan cost him 5 grand.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:58 AM, Sterling said:

No you are right. They caught 75 fish but they had enough keepers for mom to eat walleye every day. Yes slot limits are tough. Has there been much evidence that it’s working on nip?

Dads been doin ok since surgery. Hopefully he will recover sooner then expected. 

On 6/27/2019 at 8:37 AM, Headhunter said:

0 for 75 in a day and half of fishing last weekend!

We let some fine eaters go back being short about an inch. We referred to them as "market fish" as that is where they are going to eventually end up!

HH

It really is a shame. You can probably find these “market fish” at one of our local supermarkets. $18.99/lb!!!

On 6/28/2019 at 9:10 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

Sorry to hear about Dad's knee. A great way to spoil any road trip. I'm not 65 yet and find I really have to be careful walking on uneven ground, even level ground the turf monsters will trip me. 

Haven't fished Nipp in the summer for years and but I hear the tough Walleye fishing your parents found is normal up there now. Very few keepers Ice Fishing as well. Off topic but getting health insurance is important for US visitors. Many of my relatives are from the US and I urge them to get Blue Cross for example. One didn't a few years ago and 5 stiches and a CT scan cost him 5 grand.

Thanks OI It was pretty close to the end of the trip anyway. Maybe 2 days early. There is no doubt you have to be careful! I’m 46 and I find things getting hurt and sore much easier then it used to. 

Im really not sure why they’ve been going back there every year for the last 10 years or so. You think they could find something better within 12 hours of here where the fishing is better. But I really think it’s the camp owner and how hospitable they are. They love the cabins etc..... I don’t know. Oh and they have the insurance with Medicare here and it covered them when they were there but it didn’t make anything quick or easy. I can’t believe he had to video conference the doctor in Toronto?!?!

Edited by Steelheadphycho