Taking smoke fish over to another country

misfish

I was not sure how to title the post,but my question is,is it ok for someone to take smoke fish over to a European country from Canada with them ?  2 day plane travel .My co worker would like for me to smoke some white fish  for the parents to try. Are there any legal things to worry about here ?

Edited by misfish

depends on the country, but as a rule if it isn't stamped by 30 different regulatory agencies and bought at Duty Free you have a good chance of being on the next installment of Border Security. Meats, vegetables, fruit pretty much banned for importing everywhere to stop the invasive species thing. At least by people - if ships happen to dump a couple hundred thousand gallons of them in their ballast, meh, who knew?

6 minutes ago, spincast said:

depends on the country, but as a rule if it isn't stamped by 30 different regulatory agencies and bought at Duty Free you have a good chance of being on the next installment of Border Security. Meats, vegetables, fruit pretty much banned for importing everywhere to stop the invasive species thing. At least by people - if ships happen to dump a couple hundred thousand gallons of them in their ballast, meh, who knew?

This person has brought me ,home made sauces and pickles from his family from Ukraine. 

25 minutes ago, aplumma said:

Thanks Art

I take it fish is not meat ? Seem we have the same issue here with the US/CAN boarder. They say meat, but fish is allowed.

The fish will be smoked and with only a 2 day travel,,,,,,,,,,

the product does not require refrigeration before consumption;

Edited by misfish

If it’s well vacuum sealed, and clearly identifiable and you specifically claim it you shouldn’t have any issue at all. 

Live plants  and animals are more of an issue, packaged foods meant for human consumption typically are far less of an issue.

Edited by AKRISONER

In the 60s an outbreak of foot and mouth disease occurred in Saskatchewan. Thousands of pigs and cattle had to be destroyed to eradicate it. Traced the source back to a pig farm worker who smuggled back some smoked sausage from Eastern Europe. . Had some for lunch in the barn and afterwards thru some scraps over his shoulder into the pig pen. 

That mistake cost many millions. 

I'm in Italy right now with my family and as "boombat" said they seem to be a lot more lenient.

We arrived in Venice last Thursday and followed the exit signs after getting off the plane.We only saw one way out that said nothing to declare which is the what we had.

We stepped through the door and there was no where but outside into Italy for us to go. Unsure we stopped to make sure we were doing right thing and a man came to us in civilian clothes asking what the problem was. We said we thought we should be going through customs and he said "I am customs, I am the law", as he showed us his badge and then added " you have nothing to declare enjoy your visit"

Our first visit to Europe but if that's how customs operates in other Euro countries it's certainly less onerous than going into Canada or the U.S.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, the spirit of fishing said:

I'm in Italy right now with my family and as "boombat" said they seem to be a lot more lenient.

We arrived in Venice last Thursday and followed the exit signs after getting off the plane.We only saw one way out that said nothing to declare which is the what we had.

We stepped through the door and there was no where but outside into Italy for us to go. Unsure we stopped to make sure we were doing right thing and a man came to us in civilian clothes asking what the problem was. We said we thought we should be going through customs and he said "I am customs, I am the law", as he showed us his badge and then added " you have nothing to declare enjoy your visit"

Our first visit to Europe but if that's how customs operates in other Euro countries it's certainly less onerous than going into Canada or the U.S.

You are one lucky guy. I spent 5 hours in Italian Customs at Campino Airport in Roma. They thought I was someone else, no fun at all. 

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You are one lucky guy. I spent 5 hours in Italian Customs at Campino Airport in Roma. They thought I was someone else, no fun at all. 

You spoke Italian with  Yankee accent, Hei cumpa sogno Americano.

Who the hell lands at Ciampino. Must have been 40 years ago!

Never had a problem at Leonardo, but in 75 they gun toting soldiers above customs on catwalks!!L due to the Israeli conflict. 

It was 88' cumpa, that was my 1st trip to Europe. It was so long ago I think it was Campino. Now I can fly into Pescara and knock off 4 hours of driving minimum. I do not like that tunnel which at one time was the longest underground tunnel for vehicles in the world. It is so deep under that mountain range, La Grand Sass I think, that NASA has or had a lab under

On 6/16/2019 at 2:48 PM, ketchenany said:

You spoke Italian with  Yankee accent, Hei cumpa sogno Americano.

Who the hell lands at Ciampino. Must have been 40 years ago!

Never had a problem at Leonardo, but in 75 they gun toting soldiers above customs on catwalks!!L due to the Israeli conflict. 

there that filters out sound so that the only thing they can hear is ET. Alan Alda narrated a documentary about it some years ago. Very interesting. No accent Americano, solo Canadese with a little Croatian, Ukrainian and French thrown in for good luck. I call it la dialcti de la Steel compani. 

• 1 month later...

Well I got a text this morning. Fish arrived to the table and a good amount of beer was drank eating it up. Apparently, the  fish pieces ( 30 ) was not enough. I have been told that there will be another order for next year. LOL

Here I sit with the scent of more in the cooker, FOR ME. LOL

Edited by misfish

5 hours ago, misfish said:

Well I got a text this morning. Fish arrived to the table and a good amount of beer was drank eating it up. Apparently, the  fish pieces ( 30 ) was not enough. I have been told that there will be another order for next year. LOL

Here I sit with the scent of more in the cooker, FOR ME. LOL

Glad it all worked out. If it was me bringing fish, which is meat, into a country I would be on the TV show Bad Trips Abroad. I've asked the customs guy at the US border about bringing in cured meats into the US. I have heard both yes and no. 

I am not a big fan of smoked meats, fish yes for some reason. A friend gave me a good sized piece of home smoked Bacon. Had it this morning, it was the best Bacon I have ever had in my life.  It was so good I am thinking of buying a small smoker. When I'm ready to pull the trigger I will be asking here which one? 

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Glad it all worked out. If it was me bringing fish, which is meat, into a country I would be on the TV show Bad Trips Abroad. I've asked the customs guy at the US border about bringing in cured meats into the US. I have heard both yes and no. 

I am not a big fan of smoked meats, fish yes for some reason. A friend gave me a good sized piece of home smoked Bacon. Had it this morning, it was the best Bacon I have ever had in my life.  It was so good I am thinking of buying a small smoker. When I'm ready to pull the trigger I will be asking here which one? 

Luhr Jensen Little Chief.  And then send me a note for my bacon recipes.......?

I think I have posted one or two of them here, but not positive about that.

Doug