Thermacell units any good?

captpierre

Mosquitoes bad this year. Likely to do with all the moisture.  

The reviews are mostly positive on the Thermacell units. Butane heats a pad that gives off a repellant. Not so good in the wind unless you put up wind of where you are. 

What’s the scoop?

Pretty well every post I've ever seen on those units has been positive, whether sitting out on the deck in the evening with the lads or out in the boat anchored on a shoal. If it's calm they work well.

Cheers

Very good, will clear my 18 x 30 garage in 10 minutes when I place one unit in the middle of it. Work great as well when placed behind us when having a backyard fire. When camping, usually place 2 on either side of the main activity area and they make life so much more enjoyable. Highly recommend. Canadian Tire now sell the unit that fits on a butane cylinder, supposed to give you 140 hours of burn time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbuck said:

They definitely help. Used MIne for years while still fishing on Gbay. Still have it at the cottage and thanks for reminding me, I need to grab some pads and fuel cartridges for it. 

I haven't checked this out personally but I heard you can get similar butane cartridges made for portable hair curlers for a lot cheaper at places like Walmart.

Cheers

Bought this at CT. $70.  Comes with cartridge that lasts 12 hrs. Rechargeable lithium battery. Rather than the other units that use butane.   

Can buy a cartridge that lasts 40 hr for $30. 

Will let y’all know what I think. Stay tuned. 

B80CBD75-36AD-42C9-86C1-58DE52361258.jpeg

• Like 1

I really like mine for keeping the ankle bitters off when I'm in the boat. The repellent seems to sit nicely in the bottom of the boat, right where the ankle bitters like to sit!  My spaniel thinks it's awesome because she gets hammered under the console unless the thermacell is on.

The Thermacell cartridges ARE the same as those that go into the butane fueled curling irons. They are made by and labelled Thermacell so that is kinda cool. I have found that I ran out of fuel before running out of mats. A 2 pack of cartridges is 10 bucks at Can Tire or Amazon.

I found it to be similar to mosquito coils or a repellent candle, but I have been disappointed by the very high cost of running the unit so I retired it. I will try to sell it. Hopefully a rich guy with plenty of money to throw away will take it. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:31 AM, JMFJMF said:

I found it to be similar to mosquito coils or a repellent candle, but I have been disappointed by the very high cost of running the unit so I retired it. I will try to sell it. Hopefully a rich guy with plenty of money to throw away will take it. 

Well how much?

On 6/18/2019 at 9:54 AM, bigbuck said:

The Thermacell cartridges ARE the same as those that go into the butane fueled curling irons. They are made by and labelled Thermacell so that is kinda cool. I have found that I ran out of fuel before running out of mats. A 2 pack of cartridges is 10 bucks at Can Tire or Amazon.

Any links? The original cartridges seem to be very expensive.