Safe T steering

leaf4

Hey, had my boat out fishing for a week straight this past week, it's a legend 164Sc, has cable drive steering and I can't seem to find a spot to tighten the steering up, at speed it's fine and doesn't run off and will hold a position but if I kick it into neutral when hooking up to a fish it wanders, might be a long shot but maybe someone else has a similar rig that may be outfitted similarly. 

That's normal from the vibration.

Years ago I changed over to their NFB helm which has clutches in it to lock the steering in place until you turn the wheel.

Just what I needed for when I'm dropping the riggers down. Just point it straight and leave it.

This past weekend I just removed the NFB and installed hydraulic steering. :)

19 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

That's normal from the vibration.

Years ago I changed over to their NFB helm which has clutches in it to lock the steering in place until you turn the wheel.

Just what I needed for when I'm dropping the riggers down. Just point it straight and leave it.

This past weekend I just removed the NFB and installed hydraulic steering. :)

Ah ok, I was talking to the father and law, uncle and cousin and all of their boats (g3,Lund and legend all deep v) have the ability for adjustment, and can even lock them in place if they wanted to and they seemed to think mine should too, but weren't sure how.

2 hours ago, leaf4 said:

Ah ok, I was talking to the father and law, uncle and cousin and all of their boats (g3,Lund and legend all deep v) have the ability for adjustment, and can even lock them in place if they wanted to and they seemed to think mine should too, but weren't sure how.

I know all the smaller OB's I've had have a tension adjustment on the motor but once you get into the larger OB's they are not used.

Even on the 30's at the lodge I worked at they had the adjustments. The 60 on one of my boats doesn't have the ability and neither does the 90 that was on my boat or the 115 that's on it now.