Check your lifejackets

On 6/3/2019 at 11:26 AM, LeXXington said:

I heard this year they are doing a shake down looking for everything little thing.   Not including all required safety equipment but also ensuring you Federal boat license is also up to date.  (10 year expiry on all licenses).

Make sure everything is all compliant.

Do you need a federal boating license to operate a boat or are you good to go with just the PCOC card?

7 hours ago, Cando said:

Do you need a federal boating license to operate a boat or are you good to go with just the PCOC card?

The point being made is the BOAT needs a federal licence (conditions apply, eg motor 10 hp or bigger).  Since 2010, boat licences only have a ten year life span, then must be renewed.  The operator of the boat needs a PCOC, which is good for life.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cando said:

Boats Card goes with the driver and at this point does not expire.  PCOC card is by person driving the boat at the time you are stopped.

The boat you are on .. has numbers on the front ..   Below is what they are charging people .. expired, wrong address etc.. easy money if not completed correctly!!

You buy a boat and forget to call and update address... 

Licensed pleasure craft

• There are no fees to license your pleasure craft.
  • Pleasure craft licences are required for vessels used only for recreational purposes, do not carry passengers and are powered by an engine of 10 horsepower (7.5W) or more unless they are registered in the Canadian Register of Vessels.
  • Some examples of the markings on a licensed pleasure craft are 13K123456; BC1234567, 10D123456 or QC1234567.

How long is a pleasure craft licence valid for?

Due to recent changes to Section 106 of the Small Vessel Regulations, pleasure craft licences are now valid for 10 years. If there are changes to your name or address in that time, you must update your licence. This information is used by law enforcement and search and rescue organizations in emergency situations.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm#registering

A really good read  if you want to see the fines ..

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-96-313/page-4.html

Edited by LeXXington
added
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, akaShag said:

The point being made is the BOAT needs a federal licence (conditions apply, eg motor 10 hp or bigger).  Since 2010, boat licences only have a ten year life span, then must be renewed.  The operator of the boat needs a PCOC, which is good for life.

Thanks akashag I asked my old man about that as he is in charge of the boat licence. He or I didn't know they needed to be renewed. We could have been boating without it for years lol.

5 hours ago, LeXXington said:

Boats Card goes with the driver and at this point does not expire.  PCOC card is by person driving the boat at the time you are stopped.

The boat you are on .. has numbers on the front ..   Below is what they are charging people .. expired, wrong address etc.. easy money if not completed correctly!!

You buy a boat and forget to call and update address... 

Licensed pleasure craft

• There are no fees to license your pleasure craft.
  • Pleasure craft licences are required for vessels used only for recreational purposes, do not carry passengers and are powered by an engine of 10 horsepower (7.5W) or more unless they are registered in the Canadian Register of Vessels.
  • Some examples of the markings on a licensed pleasure craft are 13K123456; BC1234567, 10D123456 or QC1234567.

How long is a pleasure craft licence valid for?

Due to recent changes to Section 106 of the Small Vessel Regulations, pleasure craft licences are now valid for 10 years. If there are changes to your name or address in that time, you must update your licence. This information is used by law enforcement and search and rescue organizations in emergency situations.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm#registering

A really good read  if you want to see the fines ..

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-96-313/page-4.html

Thank Lex. I read this after my post.  My dad, who looks after that part or myself didn't know they snuck that in on us. Going to have to pay more attention to the government changing the boating laws. I guess they are running out of things to tax so they generate revenue on fining us for petty things. I can see if a life jacket is torn but a faded label is going to far. I'll have to check all my jackets whenever the put my new septic tank in and I can use my cottage.

9 hours ago, Cando said:

Thanks akashag I asked my old man about that as he is in charge of the boat licence. He or I didn't know they needed to be renewed. We could have been boating without it for years lol.

I believe depending on the age the boat was first registered it may not need to be renewed, at one time they didn't expired in 10 years. How long has your dad had the boat?

6 hours ago, dave524 said:

I believe depending on the age the boat was first registered it may not need to be renewed, at one time they didn't expired in 10 years. How long has your dad had the boat?

We got the boat n 1998. He said that he doesn't think you needed to licence a boat when he bought it.

3 hours ago, Cando said:

We got the boat n 1998. He said that he doesn't think you needed to licence a boat when he bought it.

If the motor is 10 hp or bigger, YES the boat needs to be registered, and it was "probably" done at the time of purchase.  My reading of the regulations is that boats registered before 2010 are "grandfathered" for the ten year renewal, but it behooves a boat owner to be certain. 

Doug

• Like 1

19 hours ago, akaShag said:

If the motor is 10 hp or bigger, YES the boat needs to be registered, and it was "probably" done at the time of purchase.  My reading of the regulations is that boats registered before 2010 are "grandfathered" for the ten year renewal, but it behooves a boat owner to be certain. 

Doug

Thanks Doug, I was going to look into it before we splash the boat. We still have to put the dock in once they decide to finish putting in a new septic tank.

Ron

Edited by Cando

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, akaShag said:

Is this to say that if you registered before 2010 that the boat license is good forever?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Only if none of the information changes such as owner address.

Do you know that part for a certainty?  I had intended to get my head into the regulations to be 100% sure I am compliant.......

Doug

15 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Do you know that part for a certainty?  I had intended to get my head into the regulations to be 100% sure I am compliant.......

Doug

Can't find the old section, but, my 2002 had the reference.  I had to do a change of address,  my street name and postal code changed.

10 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Can't find the old section, but, my 2002 had the reference.  I had to do a change of address,  my street name and postal code changed.

thanks buddy, much appreciated.

You did hear about Gino R?  If not shoot me a pm/e-mail

Doug

I have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. I thought I knew most of the regulations, but one thing I over looked with my new boat a couple of years ago was to have a copy of the Boat Registration from Transport Canada on board. I always had a laminated copy on my last boat, but not this one. I just laminated it today and will put it in my boat tonight. I always have my PWC operators card in with my fishing license.

Thanks for bringing all these points to light!

Edited by Rattletrap2

Regarding Pleasure Craft Licensing here is the Transport Canada link with all the gory details of 'how to' and expiry info.  Just for clarity,  vessel Registration is a totally separate thing normally reserved for big boats, small private craft are usually Licensed :

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

20 hours ago, G.mech said:

Regarding Pleasure Craft Licensing here is the Transport Canada link with all the gory details of 'how to' and expiry info.  Just for clarity,  vessel Registration is a totally separate thing normally reserved for big boats, small private craft are usually Licensed :

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

Sorry, I guess I used the words "Register" and "License" interchangeably. I see from the article that there is a difference.