Check your lifejackets

Got a nice 240.00 ticket yesterday, 40 feet from the launch. One lifejacket, the tag had faded so you couldn't read the info. Jacket was still good. No rips or tears, zipper buckles and straps all work. But the tag had faded so that makes a perfectly good lifejacket that works.......a 240.00 ticket. No warning given and the officer was waaaaay too excited by the sight of a lifejacket that he might be able to give a ticket on. Could not get the jacket into his hands fast enough so he could check the label. Just sad the tax grabs needed by the OPP

If the jacket was in terrible condition I would understand, but just because the writing has faded on a label? I would gladly have put it on and jumped overboard but we werre in 4' of water lol

At least we didn't leave empty handed. A 35", 32", and 30" pike mean about 3.60 an inch lol. 

• Sad 1

I would check the "regs  "  on that faded label issue,  seems just too ridiculous to have any point to it.

That really sucks that you got a ticket for such a trivial thing..

• Like 1

I've always been 100% pro-cop but sometimes they can be real jerks like the guy you encountered.

Couple years back we were at a cottage resort and two of the guests were out in a boat when they got stopped by the OPP. They were both wearing lifejackets and there were 2 more clearly visible on the seats. The driver had a rip in his jacket so the cop gave him a ticket somewhere over $200 saying the jackets had to be in good condition and his wasn't. The guy explained to the cop that legally he didn't even have to be wearing a jacket but the cop said that didn't matter because he WAS wearing one that was torn.

No wonder so many folks have total disrespect for cops.

• Like 2

Personal Life-Saving Appliances

9 A personal flotation device or lifejacket required by these Regulations shall not be altered in a way that compromises its original structural integrity or diminishes the integrity or readability of a marking set out in a standard related to it.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2010-91/page-2.html#h-769486

Sucks that you had to pay. Through social media, word of these  types of fines gets around like wildfire. Like a flashlight with a dead battery not working. Hopefully lives are saved.  A stern warning would have done. Too bad you didn’t have your bikini on. ?

• Haha 1

They need to justify their being on the water. The OPP up north really burns my biscuit with things like this. A WARNING would suffice. They sometimes forget that they work for us, as do all public servants. I was issued a Bull ticket on 169 a few years ago. As the officer walked away, I told him that I would see him in Boss Hogg's court. He stiffened but went back to his cruiser. I was pulled over for supposedly speeding. I had the cruise on at 80, the limit. He then proceeded to give me a ticket for 'fail to obey sign'. I showed up in Bracebridge court a few months later with a 4 page statement. I met the Crown Attorney and let her know I was taking the ticket to trial and that I would be defending myself. After waiting 4 hours, my name was called, I stood and the Crown moved to withdraw the charge as there was insufficient evidence. I really wanted to read my statement but did not have the opportunity to do so. As I walked by the Officer, I looked him in the eye and said 'Have a nice day Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrane, eehuu eehuu eehuu' I ruined his day. 

I heard this year they are doing a shake down looking for everything little thing.   Not including all required safety equipment but also ensuring you Federal boat license is also up to date.  (10 year expiry on all licenses).

Make sure everything is all compliant.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 9:00 AM, bigbuck said:

After waiting 4 hours, my name was called, I stood and the Crown moved to withdraw the charge as there was insufficient evidence. 

I ruined his day. 

You got that guy to be sure!!!!

Edited by porkpie

On 6/3/2019 at 11:26 AM, LeXXington said:

I heard this year they are doing a shake down looking for everything little thing.   Not including all required safety equipment but also ensuring you Federal boat license is also up to date.  (10 year expiry on all licenses).

Make sure everything is all compliant.

I thought you were referring to the PCOC:

From the Government of Canada website Proof of Competency for Recreational Boaters:

Replacing your Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)

A PCOC is issued to a person for life. If the PCOC is lost or destroyed, the individual can request a replacement from the accredited course provider that issued the card. Course providers charge a fee for this service.

If the course provider is unknown or no longer exists, the person should contact the Transport Canada Boating Safety Infoline at 1-800-267-6687 or e-mail to: [email protected]. The agent will check the individual's name against a national database of PCOC holders and then provide instructions on how to get a new card.

This having been said, one of my hunting and fishing buddies was in his boat near shore on the St Lawrence, was hailed to come to shore by an OPP officer and did so, thinking there must be some issue.  The officer checked him for everything including his fishing licence and PCOC.  He had recorded his PCOC on his cell phone but could not find it in the phone's memory.  He also received a hefty fine.  The OPP officer told my buddy that there was "zero tolerance" for any infractions."

So the take-away from all of this is know the regs and follow them.  And no, there is no expiry date on your PCOC.

But (EDIT HERE) I see that pleasure craft licences issued after 2010 are valid for only ten years>

Doug

Edited by akaShag
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

One more thing, I check every year to see if Transport Canada has added anything to the list of "safety" items required.  Couple years ago they added a real compass to the list, not GPS or phone with compass.

I did not know this either.  This thread is adding to my knowledge!  First about licencing the boat for ten years and now this about a compass.  Maybe some of us old farts that have been doing this stuff "FOREVER" need to make sure we do know what we are talking about!  ?

Doug

The magnetic compass is required:

A magnetic compass is not required if the boat is 8 m (26’3”) or less and you
operate it within sight of navigation marks.

So if you are out on Lake Ontario and can't see the navigation markers, you need the compass even if you are not 8 m or more.  I am going to put one in my boat kit............

Doug

Edited by akaShag

4 minutes ago, akaShag said:

The magnetic compass is required:

A magnetic compass is not required if the boat is 8 m (26’3”) or less and you
operate it within sight of navigation marks.

So if you are out on Lake Ontario and can't see the navigation markers, you need the compass even if you are not 8 m or more.  I am going to put one in my boat kit............

Doug

Was out on Lake O and pea soup fog rolled in. Without GPS would have had no clue how to get back. No sun, wind or waves to get oriented. Compass is a good idea in case GPs fails for sure.