Question for the O/B Motor guys - Thinking of upgrading

NAW

I have a chance to pick up a bigger motor for my boat.   I just want some advice on prices, and reliability.  Hopefully I can get some input here. 

Here's a quick history.  I run an old 14 Aluminum.  It is deep and wide, and at one point in it's like (before modification), it was rated for a 40Hp.  For a long time, I ran a 1983 25Hp Evinrude, and it would scream across the lake.   But the 83 was really hard on gas.  I got an opportunity of purchase a 1987 Evinrude 9.9 from a good friend.  This motor was far far better on gas, and with me and my GF in the boat, it still moves pretty good.

But as life changes, and kids grow.  Now I find myself running my family across the lake, loaded with camping gear for a weekend with a family of 5.  And I can only crawl with the 9.9.  

My friend offered me his 1998 Johnson 25Hp Tripple, for what I think is a good deal.   He got the motor recently, not running.  Bought a 400 dollar computer for it,  (not sure why there is a computer in a 2 stroke??)..  Ended up doing some research which lead him to disconnect a temperature sensor, and it fired right up, and according to him runs great.   But I know nothing about this motor.  Supposedly they are good solid motors, but I don't know about getting parts for them, how hard they are on gas, reliability, price, etc....  Does anyone here own one?  Or have worked on them before???    There a pic below of the the exact motor.  

The next part of this is my old Evinrude.  I will need to sell it to afford the 25.  But I don't know how much to list it for.  It's kind of unique.  It was owned by someone who legitimately has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.   It was always removed from the boat EVERY time it was used, and stored in his basement.  He bought it new in 87 and documented EVERY SINGLE time the motor was ever turned on.    I bought it in 2011 for a smoking deal.  I tried to keep up with the documentation, but only lasted 1 season.  Because of it's condition and very low hours, I really don't know what to list it for.    Have a look at the pics, and if you guys could help me come up with a fair list price, I would very much appreciate it.   To say this motor runs perfectly is an understatement.   The maintenance it needs right now is a new prop shaft seal.  It has a very very slow leak.  A drop or two of oil each use.

Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated.  

20190524_230249.jpg

20190526_134630.jpg

20190526_134651.jpg

20190526_134615.jpg

20190526_112726.jpg

20190526_112812.jpg

Edited by NAW

wish i could help you on the rpice

I will tell you that we owned a 95...? Johnson and those electrical issues didnt seem to go away. Wed buy another computer for it and it would fry itself after continuous use. got to the point we were replacing it every year. Dont know if its the same issue, but I just know it sucked when the thing decide to quit on us while we were out fishing one fall and we got stranded at night half an hour down the lake from home.

holy friggin cow that dude's OCD is intense lol

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

wish i could help you on the rpice

I will tell you that we owned a 95...? Johnson and those electrical issues didnt seem to go away. Wed buy another computer for it and it would fry itself after continuous use. got to the point we were replacing it every year.

holy friggin cow that dude's OCD is intense lol

Maybe you just needed to unplug the temp sensor!! Lol.. 

As for his OCD.. I used to have to enter his time cards in to our system at work.  And it would take me 5 times as long to enter his, because he documents every little task down to the 15 minute mark...  Really really good guy. but holly balls, it's just not needed. 

I was going to buy one of those motors at one point, I’m pretty sure it was the 35hp version.  The marine mechanic I was using at the time made the sign of the cross when I asked him about it, and made me promise not to buy the.... his words “POS” but he was a lot less polite about it.  Your mileage may vary but I haven’t heard much good about them.  That little 9.9 that you have on the other hand is one of the best motors johhnyrude ever made!