Fishing in Hearst - not fly in?

troutster

A friend's daughter is moving to Hearst for work. She'd like to try fishing while she's up there. Are there any lakes anyone could recommend that she could get to in 2 wheel drive car? Not really looking for lunkers, but a lake that has lots of small bass or pike would be great.

Thanks!

A 2 wheel drive car and the far north is an oxymoron. Tell your friend his daughter needs to start looking for a real 4X4 with some aggressive rubber on it, not an all wheel drive that impersonates a real deal 4X4. (Yes I know guys they aren't all created equally, some will do the job, maybe.) As far as drive to lakes, there are many. We once stayed at a camp right on Hwy 11 in the Long-Lac area. We were given directions to a few fly-in back lakes on some of the Kimberly-Clark logging roads. We found the mile markers and a short walk down a hill and we found  tinnies left there by the camp owner in winter. We carried the tackle, 9.9's and fuel to the boats and slayed some of the fish in those lakes. While we were fishing one 2 beleaguered Yanks came putting around a corner. They looked like they were in the bush for weeks. They were flown in and charged big bucks and big $ to resupply them They nearly lost it when they found out thy could have driven in. We felt sorry for them and I brought them some supplies (brown pops and some viddles) the next day when we went back. 

The road into fushimi is gravel but kept up in excellent condition, there's a few lakes besides fushimi that one can access with good pike and walleye fishing. Pivabiska is the main lake close to town that sees the most traffic so I'm not sure how good it is, I know a lot of locals also travel south to the oba river or west to nagnagamis