Six Mile Lake, Crappie?

Rattletrap2

Guys, it has been about 30 years since I visited this lake, but we went up last Friday to launch and try and find Crappie. We tried the week before in Port Severn. I know both of these bodies of water hold Crappie, but we could not find a single one. I'm thinking we were just too early for that area? The water temps were only 50 - 53 deg F. Lot's of current in Port Severn.

Six Mile Lake is beautiful enough. We launched at the Provincial park. Have you guys had much luck fishing Six Mile? I did notice we were the only boat fishing on the lake! Now, maybe it was Friday before the long week-end, but at both places, no one else was fishing. It is Division 15, so Pike and Walleye did not open until the next day.

Thanks in advance! Just don't know whether to bother try fishing the area again. Dying to get some Crappie!

I fish 6-mile all the time.  I grew up on the lake, and have slowly watched the crappie population drop, and drop....and drop...

The spots I used to bring home a dozen nice fish, and release another 20+ smaller ones.  Now, The last 2 times I have fished those spots, I have been skunked on crappie. 

So I'm not really sure what to say.  I only ice fish for crappie.  I spent the weekend at 6-mile, and the current through the lake is wild right now.  This is the highest water I've seen on may 24 in all of my years on the lake.   So maybe try again in a week or two.  But for the most part, 6-mile is a tough lake for crappie fishing these days.

I'll be back up there for the weekend of June 1st.  Fire me a PM if you want some details on the Crappie spots that I am aware of.

41 minutes ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Is that just for Crappie, or is fishing in general tough?

In general...   Most certainly for Crappie.  

The Pike action has slowed down.  You can still have OK days. But nothing spectacular, and the sizes are way down.  

I don't target bass ever.

just like you...it has been 30 plus years since I have fished there BUT I do remember we caught a giant crappie while trolling for pike. Guy I was with was trolling a panther martin spinner and caught it on that...biggest crappie I ever saw. Can't remember what I had for breakfast today but I remember everything about that fish!

• Like 2

I also grew up on the lake. Even have our families original copy of the lot surveys from when the land around the lake were first made available. By 1980 the fishing sucked. Too much pressure on fish populations. Then residents, by and large, stopped fishing the lake. By 2000 the fishing was again fantastic.  Six Mile's current decline is similar to the decline of most other Toronto satellite lakes. I've  also seen similar on Mitchell, Canal and Dalrymple

Edited by bigugli
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bigugli said:

I also grew up on the lake. Even have our families original copy of the lot surveys from when the land around the lake were first made available. By 1980 the fishing sucked. Too much pressure on fish populations. Then residents, by and large, stopped fishing the lake. By 2000 the fishing was again fantastic.  Six Mile's current decline is similar to the decline of most other Toronto satellite lakes. I've  also seen similar on Mitchell, Canal and Dalrymple

My great grandparents bought land when it was first available as well.  My grandparents actually met on the lake, as young children.  They married, then bought their land from the government for something like $2.5 / foot of water front.  He got 350 feet of water front for under a thousand bucks when he was 18 years old.  He is 90 now... 

• Like 3

On 5/23/2019 at 11:59 AM, NAW said:

My great grandparents bought land when it was first available as well.  My grandparents actually met on the lake, as young children.  They married, then bought their land from the government for something like $2.5 / foot of water front.  He got 350 feet of water front for under a thousand bucks when he was 18 years old.  He is 90 now... 

My uncle Jonny bought his 100ft frontage just around the corner from Jerry Byes  "Blue Moon Marina", couple of docks down from Ronnie Allen. Couldn't miss our lime green sauna on the water's edge. Kinda like going past Sorri's Point and the white painted slope as you entered Hungry Bay. You know us Finns we like loud colour and making a loud statement.

Edited by bigugli

On 5/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, bigugli said:

Kinda like going past Sorri's Point and the white painted slope as you entered Hungry Bay. You know us Finns we like loud colour and making a loud statement.

Oh the good old days!!  Now the Six Mile Lake Cottagers Association would try to ring your neck for painting a rock face!!