Drop shot or Wacky rig

Earl78723

I'm not familiar with fishing the drop shot or the wacky rig. Can anyone give me advice on that..........i normally just troll around the lake with spinners and crankbaits looking for Walleye so i would like to slow down a little and try more of a guess as a finess style of fishing................Thanks

I'd skip both of those and just go to a simple jig/twister tail setup.  Probably the most versatile bait out there and a killer for walleyes.   Dropshotting and wacky rigging are more of a presentation for bass.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillM said:

I'd skip both of those and just go to a simple jig/twister tail setup.  Probably the most versatile bait out there and a killer for walleyes.   Dropshotting and wacky rigging are more of a presentation for bass.  

I will side with Bill on that, not saying either wouldn't possibly catch walleye, but they wouln't be in my first few choices.

The jig is a classic for walleye, and just about any fish, because it works. Having said that a drop shot does work, and in spots might be better. If it's real snaggy a drop shot might work better because the hook is away from some of the snags. It is also easier/faster to replace a proper drop shot weight than it is to re-tie a jig. If you're fishing deeper (or faster) but want a light presentation at the hook a drop shot allows you to fish a 1oz weight but have nothing but a thin wire hook between you and the fish which can make a difference with finicy walleye. I use a drop shot a lot now with my kids b/c it's even easier than a jig for them but that doesn't mean it is beginner's only technique. If there is more than one angler in the boat and jigs are the choice maybe one person could try a drop shot.

• Like 2

Skip the wacky rig.

I have a lot of confidence in dropshotting for walleye in the St. Lawrence River. 

As others have said, a good ol' jig and single tail grub is a classic walleye bait.  If I were to fish a D/S rig for walleye I'd start with a longer drop line and an X Zone Slammer.

Good Luck!!!

Edited by DropShot'r

On 5/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, Earl78723 said:

I'm not familiar with fishing the drop shot or the wacky rig. Can anyone give me advice on that..........i normally just troll around the lake with spinners and crankbaits looking for Walleye so i would like to slow down a little and try more of a guess as a finess style of fishing................Thanks

I tend to agree with everyone else.  I catch a ton of bass on wacky rigged Senko type of baits but walleye a jig is hard to beat.  Don't forget to try live bait.  A jig and leech or big worm work well when they aren't hitting a jig and plastic.  I will actually be fishing this weekend using a jig and single tail grub with a small piece of worm to entice the bites.  Hopefully, I catch some

Cheers!

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, AKRISONER said:

i drop shot almost all of my walleye...

Drop shotting is one of the most successful techniques for many types of fish. Its even used in salt water applications.  you can use plastics, dead and/or live bait.

Another Bass technique I will be trying for 'eyes this spring is shaky head.  inject a bit of air in a big crawler and bounce it along the bottom.. Super finesse technique that just has to work.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KraTToR said:

Drop shotting is one of the most successful techniques for many types of fish. Its even used in salt water applications.  you can use plastics, dead and/or live bait.

Another Bass technique I will be trying for 'eyes this spring is shaky head.  inject a bit of air in a big crawler and bounce it along the bottom.. Super finesse technique that just has to work.

I used to put a big crawler on a slip float with just enough weight to keep the air injected worm drifting over the emerging weeds in the spring, it worked for bass and sometimes the only way you knew you had a bite was the float would stop moving.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to agree with most here in that a jig n grub or a jig with some live bait is the go to for walleye.

Fished Horwood lake a few years ago and my buddy and I decided to not use live bait for the last few days. We both caught walleyes on drop shot rigs with small swim baits and powerbait leeches. A drop shot rig is great if you have already found them and you are on top of a snaggy bottom.

If you want to try something different and the wind is blowing hard instead of running back to the cottage find a rocky island  with the wind blowing on it. Tie on a favorite minnow body bait (Rapala ) anything you can use as a jerk bait.

Back the boat off 75 yds  and launch a cast downwind towards the rocky shore then jerk it so hard your almost trying to break it and hang on Walleye will explode on a jerk bait like a pike in those conditions.