Wet brine

misfish

Doing it with dry,I found it was always quick to pellicle . I have seen where they let it go for 36 hours after removing from the brine. Almost like jerky before hitting the smoker. I,ll let you know how I make out. Have yet to do a wet brine, as my dry mix has served me well so far.

• Like 1

Oh,I am going to go with 2 lt of water and 2 lt of apple juice. 2 cups of sugar and 2/3 cup of salt.  I got the smoke down to what I like. Just want to mix up the mix..

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

I never pat it dry.  My last batch I saved some brine and put it in a spray bottle (before soaking the fish in it) and I would mist the fish every now and then while it was in the smoker.  Keeps the fish really moist and full of flavour.  

A former co-worked text me yesterday asking when the next time I was going to fire up the smoker as he wanted in and would pay for his share.  I haven't worked with him in close to a year so I guess his family really did like the way I made it.  

• Like 1

Step 1 and 2 are completed :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Got me my fresh fish this morning. I like to snap the neck to bleed out as you know. Well I snapped the first one a bit to much and took the head right. LOL So had to keep him in the net in the water. Also had to net the 2nd one with the other fish in the net still.LOL Hey Terry look,double header. LMAO.

DSCF4701.thumb.JPG.a1026fc4a2f13c542aba23fae3f15dac.JPG

Home,cleaned and in to the brine. Apple juice,brown sugar,salt and a whole bottle of syrup. Put 2 plates on top to hold the meat down in the brine. Both fish are in the brine. CO-Workers will be happy happy next week. :good:

DSCF4702.thumb.JPG.9c4a3071f5ba44bcb32d2071d34500f3.JPG

I ALWAYS use a wet brine with fish, except for when I make Indian Candy.

12 hours absolute minimum, 24 about right, 36 is going long but I have done it.  I NEVER rinse the brine off the fillets and I NEVER pat them dry.  I put the fillets (usually, chunks of fillets), skin side down, on the smoker racks that I sprayed first with Pam

I was just typing away and a bunch of what I was typing disappeared, what the hell???????

As I was saying, the racks are laid out on newspaper to catch the drips.  Leave them to air dry at room temperature, (Pellicle forms in about an hour.) then into the smoker. 

Don't think I ever put apple juice in a fish brine but it should work just fine.  You did not need that much sugar, and if you also added syrup they are going to be some sweet fish.

The "standard" brine for fish is a gallon of cold water, a cup of sugar, and a cup of salt.  I generally, but not always, add soya sauce, garlic and lemon juice.

Brian, you have my e-addy if ever you have a question about smoking with the Luhr-Jensen smoker............

Doug

• Like 1

Brian, those chunks look pretty pale in the photos.  I would have thought they would be darker?  How was the texture?  Was it kind of "damp" like not nicely moist but like under-cooker lake trout "damp."  I am thinking maybe more time in the smoker (without chips smoking) might improve your results?

Doug

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akaShag said:

Brian, those chunks look pretty pale in the photos.  I would have thought they would be darker?  How was the texture?  Was it kind of "damp" like not nicely moist but like under-cooker lake trout "damp."  I am thinking maybe more time in the smoker (without chips smoking) might improve your results?

Doug

It was actually dry Doug.  And as far as sweet,not even close.  Will make for some nice white fish salad sandwiches.

1 hour ago, fish_fishburn said:

How long did you have it in the smoker. I have the same unit and Im thinking about 8 hrs minimum for that batch.

It was around 6 or so hours. I had the smoker tucked away, so it got  good heat and out of the wind.