Parry Sound inland lake fishing and bug report

Newguy38

Any feedback about fishing conditions with the lakes surrounding Parry Sound would be appreciated.  What type of bait or lures are people using? I heard it's colder than normal, but slowly warming up.  Are black flies out yet?  Any help would be appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Newguy38 said:

Thank you for update.  Are the Pike turning on finally?  

i take back what i said, the sun came out this afternoon and guess who finally showed up for the first time.

So wierd, noon not a fly to be seen, 3pm theres now clouds of them, they dont seem to be biting yet though.

havent got out fishing yet, will let you know when i finally get out.

I was supposed to join the crew on a small inland lake east of Perry Sound this weekend. I'm not able to, getting old sucks. My brother called this evening from a motel. The roadway into the cottage is washed out and one of the 2 wheel drive trucks is stuck in mud up to the wheel wells. Tow trucks won't retrieve the truck because they will get stuck too. Sorry no fishing report. I haven't checked the regs but isn't opening tonight at midnight? 

9 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I was supposed to join the crew on a small inland lake east of Perry Sound this weekend. I'm not able to, getting old sucks. My brother called this evening from a motel. The roadway into the cottage is washed out and one of the 2 wheel drive trucks is stuck in mud up to the wheel wells. Tow trucks won't retrieve the truck because they will get stuck too. Sorry no fishing report. I haven't checked the regs but isn't opening tonight at midnight? 

Opener was about 8 and a half hours ago :)

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Walleye are biting, caught a dozen this evening in a couple of hours.

You sure dialed them in Akrisoner. The reason I asked about when exactly opener was is that it's tough giving a fishing report before the season starts. When we had a camp on the Ottawa in the 80's it was tradition to get in the tinny's before mid night and count down to D day. We would fish for a few hours and if they were hitting would fish until we had  a  meal for the crew.  Nothing like f resh 3 pound Pics for breakfast. The go to hardware was simply a 3" Black on Silver chrome Rappala with a few split shot trolled tight to shore. Many openers the males spewed milt all over the boat. Then it was C@R only and old Oswaldo (Ozzie) Giocomelli would loose it, Google him for some interesting reading. He was a kid of 16 and Canadian born when he was imprisoned at Petawawa during the full duration of WW2.  It was the spring presentation not just for the Ottawa River. Pike were enticed with tossing smaller Bush Wacker's, (spinner baits) into the fresher weed edges. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

We were up at Huntsville on Vernon, Fairy & Penn Lakes this weekend at a Top 50 Pike event. The pike fishing was slow, of course but somebody always gets them. Many of the big fish were shallow, the water temps ranged from 47 -52 degrees F. There were no black flies that we noticed!

On 5/18/2019 at 8:38 AM, BillM said:

Opener was about 8 and a half hours ago :)

Always a day late and a dollar short. I thought Saturday was Friday. Retirement knows no time. Saturday night it sounded like some battle in some war torn country and asked Tich what the heck is going on here? I forgot it was Queen Vicky Day. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

had a lot of work to do up at the lake this weekend so fishing was in spurts and the old man wanted to focus on walleye. 

Sunday morning i busted out the fly rod off the dock before breakfast and was very glad I did. 

I ended up catching 11 pike in just over an hour off of the dock. Including 4 in 4 casts, all on the fly.

I was on an inland parry sound lake last weekend.  No bugs at all but it was cold windy and raining.  I got out on the water for a couple of hours, just did some trolling.  Caught OOS bass and small crappie.  No pike.  The water was 46F so still cold that other site.  

I'm heading up for 5 days on Friday and expect the black flies to start to appear.  With the sun and warmer weather, I expect the pike fishing to pike up and also expect to get some walleye.  

Cheers!