Muskie Opener

Squid

I have been watching this stain on Lake St.Clair for a few weeks now and it seems to be stagnant in the eastern part of the lake. I sure hope it moves out and the lake clears up for opener!! Water temps are coming up to the 50 -54 F range lately.

image.thumb.png.186947e4804a32148f6eb4ef264f2315.png

image.thumb.png.9f9fd0f6b836ce2705a4c25e026e7676.png

insane up on G bay at the moment, water is about 48 in land but 38 once you hit the main lake. When you drive out of point au baril channel towards the big water its like hitting a wall, the air temperature drops 10 degrees with the water. Everything is so blood far behind, the pike arent even biting yet and its usually prime time right now.

ya I am shocked its in the 50s already. But the sooner it gets to 60 the sooner those muskies want to eat again so bring on some warm temps! The water out there only takes a couple days to clear so not too worried about that. Plus that dark water heats everything up a bit faster!

14 hours ago, outllaw said:

squid. expect wsrmer water that way. its shallower near st lukes,mitchell bay region. as for cleaner .not until zebra mussels start filtering at 59 degrees and up. plus were in hi water flood stage. what was 5 ft is now 8ft...

That is where I start in normal years. Water is very high still so it will be interesting how the increased level impacts the fishery.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squid said:

That is where I start in normal years. Water is very high still so it will be interesting how the increased level impacts the fishery.

That was a great question Squid, just from what I could find high water levels may be beneficial in a lake, maybe not so in a river?

https://thesouthern.com/sports/outdoors/flooding-has-negligible-effect-on-fish-spawn/article_c96a2fd8-12d8-54c7-9fed-22ec84435375.html

https://www.timesleader.com/sports/715518/outdoors-high-water-could-mean-a-big-impact-on-fish

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0075951108000418

There is no stopping the water from flowing out of Erie and into Ontario. the dam at Cornwall and Beauharnois dam in Montreal. These have seen their water flow reduced in order to save the Montrealers from some serious flooding. Lots of my friends back home are under water but it could have been worse save the dams closing up. I read that Lake Ontario will not start dropping its water level until the end of June and it is still rising.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, OhioFisherman said:

the biggest problem on spawning fish in great lakes is silt over laid eggs..hi-water and winds can ruin a spawning year,especially in southern ont. sand/mud bottoms.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, outllaw said:

the biggest problem on spawning fish in great lakes is silt over laid eggs..hi-water and winds can ruin a spawning year,especially in southern ont. sand/mud bottoms.

Oh I agree Squid, like with the walleye spawns here on the Sandusky and Maumee rivers, those two get muddy very quickly because of all the farming activity south of the spawning areas.

Had the boat at dewildt to check the power trim and they came back with the ram is cracked. So now I am looking for a used power trim for my 115 merc 2 stroke.  New replaced is 2500 bucks and that is a bit rich for my pocket. I figure either new or used, I will install it myself to save some dollars.

19 minutes ago, Squid said:

Had the boat at dewildt 

Just by coincidence Pete I came across hwy 7 east of Peterboro this morning and there's a new Dewildt dealer there now.

Never heard of the company before and now twice in a couple hours.