Walleye vs Pickerel

1 hour ago, Terry said:

no petroleum is the name, north america called it gas because its easier

America called them  walleye  ontario called them yellow pickerel

and yes, most of our electricity  was hydro electric (from damed water), so it was shortened to hydro

many in the states just call it power company

and crayfish have been distorted to crawfish and crawdads

but as long as i know what they are talking about I dont care what term they use

Grew up fishing out of Port Colborne/ Point Abino in the late 50's, lot of Americans/ Buffalonians fished out of there too, we called them Yellow and Blue Pickeral the US guys called the same fish Yellow and Blue Pike. Married a Floridian lady 20 years ago, she didn't have a clue what Hydro was or Kraft Dinner  ? it's Kraft Macaroni and Cheese down there, only called Kraft Dinner in Canada, oh ! and dew worms are nightcrawlers to her.

4 minutes ago, irishfield said:

How many restaurants do you see in Ontario offering a "Walleye Dinner"... none !

They haven't been educated yet, neither are the stores selling pickeral,  I'm sure they're not commercially harvested. ?

20 hours ago, lew said:

I started fishing Hay Bay (Bay of Quinte) way back around 1955 with my family and we used to camp at Pickerel Park and to this day it's still called PICKEREL Park and I doubt if they have any intentions of changing it to Walleye Park LOL

How about Chain Pickerel Park...?    :whistling:

If you call them walleye up in my inlaws area of North East Ontario they look at you like your some strange alien.  They call them pickeral up there always have and always will.  If you call them pickeral down south in the great lakes regions or in the USA you get the same look.  

I call them by both depending on where I am and who I am talking to makes it easy to avoid the whole debate.  

Cheers!

• Thanks 1