What would you do?

jimmer

There has been a boat fishing in front of the houses in our little bay (dredged channel) with the same three guys for the last 4 or more days. They are there for 10-12 hours every day.  The neighbour said he saw them keeping all the bass they were catching (i haven't seen this). Not sure I want to approach them personally, but would the Ministry come out to check on them if they received a call?

Best bet is to always call the ministry tip line. In my experience, if they have the resources they will come investigate. 

As much as I wan't to protect our fisheries, to me it's not worth risking a confrontation that could end in lawsuits, injuries, etc...

But I would definitely make the call if you think someone is breaking the regs

• Like 1

I don't want to go on what the neighbour is saying either, but I think he knows a bass from a crappie. My wife texted me today to say they were back and that she got their license number from the boat. I actually think they did the same thing last year. It must be awfully boring to sit in this spot for that length of time, it's like 3 feet deep and the numbers of panfish are just not there.  Can't seem them coming back every day if they are not catching.

Thanks for everyone's insight.

Yeah I don’t go on the information of others.  If he knows the difference between a bass and a crappie then he is also probably aware of the MNRF.  You could always provide him with the tips line.  I’ve had people yell at me to stop fishing bass as I toss another crappie in the livewell.  It’s true that people poach, it’s also true that witness info is often sketchy.

Not everyone can identify fish accurately from a distance.  When we purchased our waterfront home 5 years ago we were down at the dock talking to the people that sold us the home.  The woman knew I was a Fisherman and said "I've seen big trout swim by the dock".

This is on Upper Buckhorn lake.

Enough said. ;)  

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Whitespinnerbait said:

1. I didn't know that fishing 10..12 hours a day was a cause for concern .

2. Your neighbor watches them for 12 hours a day ???

This is why I was asking other's opinions. People do work on their lawns/yards/etc at this time of the year for the whole day, so not sitting there watching, but being aware.

I didn't have to read  the entire thread, I beg you not to confront them in any way. Even letting them see you taking a video. Let the authorities do what they are being paid for. In a case like this the Wardens would need to catch them red handed. Even with video of them doing it . Can the Crown prove beyond a reasonable doubt that was a over limit Bass being put in the boat?

Are you more upset that they are fishing in your secluded spot or are you upset because they are poaching? A little of both maybe?

As far as someone identifying species from a distance about 5 yrs back I had Ministry boat stop me and demanded to see our licenses and the fish. They were not in a jovial mood. Readers Digest version, someone flagged down the MNR boat who were in the area (Walleye Tourney on) and told them we were over our Walleye limit, not only we weren't over for Walleye the Salmon we caught and boxed were I.D.'d from afar by someone as Pics.  

Edited by Old Ironmaker

17 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I didn't have to read  the entire thread, I beg you not to confront them in any way. Even letting them see you taking a video. Let the authorities do what they are being paid for. In a case like this the Wardens would need to catch them red handed. Even with video of them doing it . Can the Crown prove beyond a reasonable doubt that was a over limit Bass being put in the boat?

Are you more upset that they are fishing in your secluded spot or are you upset because they are poaching? A little of both maybe?

As far as someone identifying species from a distance about 5 yrs back I had Ministry boat stop me and demanded to see our licenses and the fish. They were not in a jovial mood. Readers Digest version, someone flagged down the MNR boat who were in the area (Walleye Tourney on) and told them we were over our Walleye limit, not only we weren't over for Walleye the Salmon we caught and boxed were I.D.'d from afar by someone as Pics.  

LOL, not my secluded spot. I don't think they exist anymore.  It's a dredged channel for poor waterfront and the only thing that would bother me is if they were poaching. Talked to the neighbour yesterday and they said it was seven days in a row. I used to let this bother me a lot, but take it in stride now.  I suggested that they call the tips line.  I think he spoke with the guys in the boat and they weren't there yesterday.

3 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Well after a week and numerous recommendations of "what would you do" , it appears nothing was done, makes you wonder why even bother posting it.

He bothered posting it because he was asking for our advice. If this site was 100% fishing there wouldn't be much to read here and it would go out of business tout suite. No one want's that. Keep em cumin'. 

5 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Well after a week and numerous recommendations of "what would you do" , it appears nothing was done, makes you wonder why even bother posting it.

I think it's a worthwhile and topical post.

The MNR is undermanned and overwhelmed. I don't think there's anything wrong with politely confronting people like this.

Canada is a great place, but if you want to come here, please be grateful, respectful and play by the rules.