Do you have a 14 - 15' aluminum boat with a bow mount electric?

jimmer

Just wondering what shaft length you have as a bow mount on an 14-15' aluminum boat? I'm looking at buying a new one and there are so many different sizes. I looked at the online suggestions, but are those measurements with someone in the boat or it being empty? I'm asking because one of the motors I'm looking at only has a 42" shaft; I think it's too short though. Can I get everyone's opinion on the new Minn Kota electronic foot pedals. Are they giving people the same issues as the older models? I don't plan on spending over $800.

What is the distance from the bow to the water on your boat?

Different styles of boats have different heights off the water.

I would say to go with that length plus 18-24 inches.

I know if I'm in water that would make my prop break the surface with that much shaft in the water I'd be looking elsewhere to fish. ;)

I have an 18' aluminium bass type boat that the original TM was 42" I think.

I got a stupid good deal on my replacement unit that has a 60" shaft which is way more than needed.

It came off a 19 foot Lund Pro-V which is much higher off the water but the price could not be ignored. :)

• Like 1

If you fish swallow you're going to want to be able to lift it right up...if you fish deep and in rough water you're going to want to stuff it deep to keep it engaged. For that boat my guess would be about the 42" length but make sure you have the up or down travel you're looking for. Don't skimp on Ft/lbs either...in many cases aluminum boats should have more thrust than even glass boats. Happy shopping!

16 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

jimmer that TM i sold you was on a 14 foot tinner and was far and away long enough. Pretty sure it was a 42 right?

I guess I should just measure that one. The one I'm using is a little longer, but I think yours was longer than 42".

Thanks for all the opinions guys, it's much appreciated.

Any opinions on the Minn Kota Maxxum 55lb thrust, 12v?

16 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

What is the distance from the bow to the water on your boat?

Different styles of boats have different heights off the water.

I would say to go with that length plus 18-24 inches.

I know if I'm in water that would make my prop break the surface with that much shaft in the water I'd be looking elsewhere to fish. ;)

I have an 18' aluminium bass type boat that the original TM was 42" I think.

I got a stupid good deal on my replacement unit that has a 60" shaft which is way more than needed.

It came off a 19 foot Lund Pro-V which is much higher off the water but the price could not be ignored. :)

When I used that calculation it just made the 42", that's why I was asking if I should measure the space while I'm in the boat.

1 hour ago, jimmer said:

I guess I should just measure that one. The one I'm using is a little longer, but I think yours was longer than 42".

not gonna lie jimmer, im pretty sure the boat we rented in guntersville a couple of years ago had the maxxum on it and it was a total POS. better off buying a used terrova or even a fortrex off of the Bass Boat Central Forums.

on second thought it may have been an edge? either way it was trash. I wouldnt mess with anything but a fortrex, terrova or ultrex and even the ultrex has its problems.

Edited by AKRISONER

7 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

not gonna lie jimmer, im pretty sure the boat we rented in guntersville a couple of years ago had the maxxum on it and it was a total POS. better off buying a used terrova or even a fortrex off of the Bass Boat Central Forums.

on second thought it may have been an edge? either way it was trash. I wouldnt mess with anything but a fortrex, terrova or ultrex and even the ultrex has its problems.

Yeah, there were a lot of bad reviews for that motor. I would have to win the lottery to buy a new one of the ones you suggested. LOL I'll have to look for a used one.

http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23

keep an eye there, I see older motorguides and kottas go for $300 USD all of the time. Jeez, i recently sold a motorguide for 300 bucks Canadian!

I should bloody sell you our extra powerdrive V2 but its not mine to sell. Its just sitting doing nothing!

Edited by AKRISONER

6 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23

keep an eye there, I see older motorguides and kottas go for $300 USD all of the time. Jeez, i recently sold a motorguide for 300 bucks Canadian!

I should bloody sell you our extra powerdrive V2 but its not mine to sell. Its just sitting doing nothing!

Sold, LOL

On 5/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, jimmer said:

Jimmer, I had the 65 lb. Maxxum 24 volt on my 17 foot Bass boat for many years. I loved that motor with the cable drive. I would gladly take it over the electronic versions any day.

Edited by Rattletrap2
  • Like 1

Yep, just measure from the bow of the boat to the water line. If you have any scunge on the hull you don't need to put her in the water to measure it. Add 12 to 14". I would rather buy a used good elec. rather than a cheap new unit. Just thinking that depending where the battery will be, i.e. under the bow, it may change where the water line hits the boat at the bow. When I took the elec. off and removed the 2X12 volts with the new gas kicker on I had to put those 2 heavy batteries back up front to act as ballasts. 

One can tell who isn't out fishing for the opener, like moi who is posting on this beauty of a day. They are hammering the Pics and Jumbo Perch at Port Bruce, not I!!! For locations PM me.