Need Help finding calmer water on Lake Erie

GaraldT

2 hours ago, Squid said:

If its a north wind you can launch out of port maitland on the grand where it meets the lake. Go out into the lake  in 15 feet of water or so and turn west. About one KM west there will be  a lot of large flat rocks. This area is where my young boys killed it so bad that they had enough fishing for the day. Jigging worms ( plastic too) or using small deep divers works very well. Good luck

Ok great, thanks for the help.

Ill definitely check this out soon!

North winds might give you calmer waters but the fishing usually sucks......north winds come after a cold front has passed and put fish down and off the bite. Normal SW winds are good and really just about any south wind produces a good bite.... East winds fish bite the least while West winds the fish bite the best.

Now the best for no waves is when the winds are blowing straight down, you can tell if these winds are blowing when the flag is hanging straight down.......LOL

Get yourself a Weather Rock and you will never need the weather idiot again . . . :)

4 hours ago, Mister G said:

North winds might give you calmer waters but the fishing usually sucks......north winds come after a cold front has passed and put fish down and off the bite. Normal SW winds are good and really just about any south wind produces a good bite.... East winds fish bite the least while West winds the fish bite the best.

Now the best for no waves is when the winds are blowing straight down, you can tell if these winds are blowing when the flag is hanging straight down.......LOL

Get yourself a Weather Rock and you will never need the weather idiot again . . . :)

I had to google weather rock. LOL

but thanks for the info, really helping me out.

I just wish there were some smaller calmer lakes not far from me that allow gas motors. It’s just hard hitting these big lakes with a bass boat.

I know a bunch of smaller lakes but they all don’t allow gas motors which sucks. 

Sorry Gerald but the place you describe doesn't exist on Erie. We bought on the lakeshore 23 years ago and have lived here full time for 20. Long Point bay can turn in a moments notice. I wouldn't venture far in your Bass boat. We don't see many in the open lake. Long Point Bay yes for largemouth. I would suggest you boat and fish around the bay at Nanticoke. I suggested to a member looking for Smallmouth  Bass just last week to work the shoreline of Peacock Point which is a stones throw from Hoover's Marina in Nanticoke .  He slayed them. From Nanticoke you can venture out to 5 mile reef. You might find some local Walleye there but no Erie monsters, they are still in the eastern basin. Directly across from Selkirk Provincial Park not far from the east shore of Peacock is a spot called Westlawn. Not far from shore you might find Jumbo Perch in 8 to 12' of water. The folks at Hovver's Marina will direct you and sell you Emerald Shinners. The perch will no bite on anything else. Look at all your weather and wind sites and heed the. Windfinder.com and Sailflow.com are my faves. 

Be careful, especially for a novice boater with children aboard. In fact my best advice is for you is to NOT boat Erie until you are much more experienced and know your boat capabilities inside and out. Many an experienced boater has drowned in that water. 2 of which I knew personally a few years back, in Long Point Bay in fact.  IF I were you I would boat and fish The Grand River south of the Dunnville dam. There are fish and much, much safer conditions. Launch at Fishmasters in Dunnville.

2 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Sorry Gerald but the place you describe doesn't exist on Erie. We bought on the lakeshore 23 years ago and have lived here full time for 20. Long Point bay can turn at a moments notice. I wouldn't venture far in your Bass boat. We don't see many in the open lake. Long Point Bay yes for largemouth and they are pro's at it mostly. I would suggest you boat and fish around the bay at Nanticoke if you insist on Erie. I suggested to a member here looking for Smallmouth Bass just last week to work the shoreline of Peacock Point which is a stones throw from Hoover's Marina in Nanticoke .  He slayed them. From Nanticoke you can venture out to 5 mile reef. You might find some local Walleye there but no Erie monsters, they are still in the eastern basin. Directly across from Selkirk Provincial Park not far from the east shore of Peacock is a spot called Westlawn. Not far from shore you might find Jumbo Perch in 8 to 12' of water. The folks at Hoover's Marina will direct you and sell you Emerald Shinners. Getting on the water and catching fish are two different things. Presentation here on Erie can be much different than other lakes in Ont. The perch will not bite on anything else but lively shinners. Look at all your weather and wind sites and heed them. Windfinder.com and Sailflow.com are my faves. 

Be careful, especially for a novice boater with children aboard. In fact my best advice is for you is to NOT boat Erie until you are much more experienced and know your boat capabilities inside and out. Many an experienced boater has drowned in that water. 2 of which I knew personally a few years back, in Long Point Bay in fact.  IF I were you I would boat and fish The Grand River south of the Dunnville dam. There are fish and much, much safer conditions. Launch at Fishmasters in Dunnville. Please be careful. In fact the more I think about it please don't try and tackle Erie until you are much more experienced. Go up north somewhere like The Kawartha's on small inland lakes. 

If the wind predictions are less than 1 meter get out at dawn and plan to be back by 11AM at least. Or if you see the windturbines shift directions. A change in wind direction usually means she's going to kick up.. Going out in a SW wind is doable, coming back in a NW wind can be brutal and plan on getting wet. Get into the habit of wearing your PDF's 100% of the time. Invest in inflatables for the kids and yourself. I don't even realize it is on they are so comfortable, in fact have realized I still had mine on driving the truck home.

@Old Ironmaker

thank you so much for all your help.

I did not mention that I would never take my kids on Erie or any big lake just to be safe. I’m new at boating and would never risk the safety of my kids especially on water like that. When I do decide to bring them on a boat it will be a smaller, calmer lake further away like inland like the Kawartha Lakes you mentioned.

Also, for me, I personally hate big choppy lakes but it seems that I have to drive at least 2 hours to get to a calmer, smaller lake to fish. When I do go out to Erie I also like to stay pretty close to shore. I don’t trust the winds and waves on my bass boat to venture off. I also always wear my vest when I’m on lakes this big. I’m also with at least one or two people. I would never ever go out on my own no matter how calm the water is there.

I will check out Nanticoke and peacock bay though when I get a chance.

Oh and I target bass the most but thank you very much for your help and advice. I appreciate it.

21 minutes ago, GaraldT said:

Does anybody know what would be the closest smaller, calmer lake from the Hamilton Burlington area? Don’t mind driving an hour or two.

Your welcome GT. When all we had was a 12' tinny we fished Jordan Harbour. Never had choppy water there. I was in Hamilton then. It's about 40 mins down the QE. Good sized Large Mouth Bass were in there then and Perch. Good luck stay safe. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

11 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Your welcome GT. When all we had was a 12' tinny we fished Jordan Harbour. Never had choppy water there. I was in Hamilton then. It's about 40 mins down the QE. Good sized Large Mouth Bass were in there then and Perch. Good luck stay safe. 

I wanted to go to the spots you told me on Erie tmw but the windfinder site is saying about 15 mph for tmw, don’t know how accurate that is.

I looked up the Jordan harbour and it’s saying 15 mph as well with north west winds, is that too windy or is it a lot better there than Nanticoke ?

i plan on taking my father tmw so want to have a good experience and not worry about controlling the boat so much from the wind.

Also thank you so much for your help!

I'm looking out the patio door right now at Erie, we live here as I mentioned. It's less than 1/2 meter chop, no white caps. But that is now, in a hour who knows. That's the nature of this water. 15 mph NW wind on Jordan is doable. It is protected by the Niagara Escarpment. I'll check Windfinder for here tomorrow, give me a few mins. 

Calling for NW wind gusts to 20 mph tomorrow here by 11AM. I wouldn't be going out on Erie tomorrow. Even in Nanticoke bay getting back to the Marina will be an adventure and you will get soaked without a full windshield. Don't forget when they predict a wave to be 3 feet or 1/2 meter that's a 6 foot swell from belly to crest. 

7 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Calling for NW wind gusts to 20 mph tomorrow here by 11AM. I wouldn't be going out on Erie tomorrow. Even in Nanticoke bay getting back to the Marina will be an adventure and you will get soaked without a full windshield. Don't forget when they predict a wave to be 3 feet or 1/2 meter that's a 6 foot swell from belly to crest. 

Ya that would be too much for me on Erie tmw 

And when you say “doable” would that mean still being able to control the boat with the trolling motor in the Jordan harbour with 15mph or that’s pushing it?

Also, where would the launch be for Jordan harbour?

appreciate it!

43 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Jordan Harbour is a no go. It has pretty well silted in and extremely shallow since the 80's. Campbell's Marina on the harbour side is long gone with the boat launch, the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority now has it and I'm not so sure that they even allow power boats there anymore even if there was a launch ramp.  The Grand River if you launch in Dunnville above the dam gives many miles of calm boating and various warm water species.

7 hours ago, dave524 said:

Jordan Harbour is a no go. It has pretty well silted in and extremely shallow since the 80's. Campbell's Marina on the harbour side is long gone with the boat launch, the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority now has it and I'm not so sure that they even allow power boats there anymore even if there was a launch ramp.  The Grand River if you launch in Dunnville above the dam gives many miles of calm boating and various warm water species.

Thanks for the info good to know.

Is the water very shallow at the grand above the dam?

Are there bass and where would the launch be?

Edited by GaraldT

I used to launch here , it was free and you can run over ten miles up to Cayuga, I targeted walleyes but there are bass , pike and panfish as well.  

edit : click on the satellite view in the bottom left and zoom out

Edited by dave524

52 minutes ago, dave524 said:

I used to launch here , it was free and you can run over ten miles up to Cayuga, I targeted walleyes but there are bass , pike and panfish as well.  

edit : click on the satellite view in the bottom left and zoom out

Perfect, thank you very much!!

Grew up in Kitchener. We never went to Erie since it was well known that going there was a crap shoot. Hit Owen Sound for bows/salmon, Port Severn area for pike and walleye, Rice for walleye. Never targeted bass but got them anyplace close to shore or along the Nith/Grand below rapids. 

To me the extra drive to waters you know are sheltered and safe is a better way to go about using your 18fter. Three times over the past 10 years I've hit Erie for fishing and only once was tolerable.  IMHO you pretty much have to live right there to take advantage of calm waters. To drive from Burlington to Lake Erie as a long term plan for open water fishing will involve way too many disappointments. Like said above the river is best but you should consider different directions than towards Erie.

Be safe and all the best!

21 hours ago, dave524 said:

Wow I have to get out more Dave. What a difference 40 years makes! Yep it's been that long. It's too bad I loved Jordan Harbour in our little Sears car topper. Got some nice Perch there in winter too. 

I would say the Grand is Geralds best bet without driving through TO traffic. As far as depths of that river it changes. I know spots near the dam 30 feet deep. I have gotten hung up on sandbars that weren't there a few weeks before. That's the nature of rivers. 

10 hours ago, cisco said:

Grew up in Kitchener. We never went to Erie since it was well known that going there was a crap shoot. Hit Owen Sound for bows/salmon, Port Severn area for pike and walleye, Rice for walleye. Never targeted bass but got them anyplace close to shore or along the Nith/Grand below rapids. 

To me the extra drive to waters you know are sheltered and safe is a better way to go about using your 18fter. Three times over the past 10 years I've hit Erie for fishing and only once was tolerable.  IMHO you pretty much have to live right there to take advantage of calm waters. To drive from Burlington to Lake Erie as a long term plan for open water fishing will involve way too many disappointments. Like said above the river is best but you should consider different directions than towards Erie.

Be safe and all the best!

Ya you’re absolutely right about Erie being a crap shoot.

It sucks we have no smaller lakes around here that allow gas engines.

Thanks for the help

5 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Wow I have to get out more Dave. What a difference 40 years makes! Yep it's been that long. It's too bad I loved Jordan Harbour in our little Sears car topper. Got some nice Perch there in winter too. 

I would say the Grand is Geralds best bet without driving through TO traffic. As far as depths of that river it changes. I know spots near the dam 30 feet deep. I have gotten hung up on sandbars that weren't there a few weeks before. That's the nature of rivers. 

So I ended up taking my dad to the Grand in Dunnville where @dave524 suggested and the water was great even though it was windy.

Normal chocolate milk water but easy to fish in, deepest part there is about 10 feet. 

My dad caught a few catfish off worms but I struck out using my bass lures.

I tried chatterbaits, jigs with craw trailers, jerk baits, drop shot some roboworms, crankbaits and a lipless too but couldn’t get a bite. Even got closer to shore where there were lily pads and threw a couple frogs but no luck.

But still had a great day taking my dad out.

Glad you had a good day out with your Dad!

I have to weigh in on the Lake Erie idea. First, going to Erie is not a crap shoot. Not if you take 5 mins and do some homework looking at wind forecasts. The good sites were already posted. Secondly, it’s not written anywhere that you have to run out to the middle of the lake to catch fish. You can catch smallies all day within a few hundred yards of the shoreline. In fact you can stay under 10 mins from the boat launch all day and still not go deeper than 15’ of water. I drive to the Fort Erie / Crystal Beach area and always plan my trip using a wind forecast. 

Don't be nervous and avoid the lake just because you’ve never been there. The people that get in trouble on Erie do so because they don’t respect the lake. No preparation, don’t know their limits, and don’t put safety first. 

Go and enjoy the lake! After a few visits, your confidence will go up and you’ll wonder why you waited. 

Have you thought about belwood or conestogo lake? Both have bass pike perch crappies and walleye. I have been out on Belwood in strong wind and it only gets choppy in the open middle section. Both lakes have lots of protected shoreline to fish if the wind is howling.