Need Help finding calmer water on Lake Erie

GaraldT

Hi everyone,

So this will be my first year with a boat, so excited.

I was wondering if any of you can help me out and let me know where on Lake Erie to go for fishing with a little calmer waters?

Ill be bringing my kids sometimes so want to be safe.

I live near Burlington but willing to drive.

Someone told me about a place called Sugarloaf Marina in Port Colborne but I have no idea if it’s any good.

Spots that have walleye and bass when season opens up is what I’m looking for.

Any help would be appreciated either here or PM’d.

Thank you so much!

Inner Bay at Long Point is somewhat protected. Bass , Pike and various pannies.

Edit : grew up near Port Colborne and fished it since the early 60's, definitely would take Long Point over fishing inside the breakwall at Port Colborne.

now, if you are willing to venture open lake on a good day, I'd take Port Colborne.

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dave524 said:

Inner Bay at Long Point is somewhat protected. Bass , Pike and various pannies.

Edit : grew up near Port Colborne and fished it since the early 60's, definitely would take Long Point over fishing inside the breakwall at Port Colborne.

now, if you are willing to venture open lake on a good day, I'd take Port Colborne.

Sounds good man.I googled Inner bay and looks good, ill have to check it out.

thanks!

Edited by GaraldT

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

You should include what kind of boat/size/power you and the kids will be in. Helps to define "calm" on Erie. 

Sorry, you’re right. I have an older nitro boat, 18 footer with a mercury 140 engine. Definitely capable of handling the lakes but I’m new to boating and still learning a lot so just want to be safer especially when I’m with the kids.

18 minutes ago, GaraldT said:

Sorry, you’re right. I have an older nitro boat, 18 footer with a mercury 140 engine. Definitely capable of handling the lakes but I’m new to boating and still learning a lot so just want to be safer especially when I’m with the kids.

Good to know. With a west, northwest wind you're good to go all along the north shore of Erie and there is no need to venture out too far for smallies. Lots to keep the kids happy in 15' of water.

12 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Good to know. With a west, northwest wind you're good to go all along the north shore of Erie and there is no need to venture out too far for smallies. Lots to keep the kids happy in 15' of water.

Any locations specific. Sorry for my ignorance, Lake Erie is new to me.

thank you for your help!

Grand river below dunnville dam. 8 or so miles of river to fish. Lots of sheepshead and enough walleye to make it worth fishing for them. If you are into catfish, you can catch bullheads and big channel cats. You also have access to Erie. Best part is that you can always fish the river if the lake is too rough.

4 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Honestly, pick a spot based on where you want to launch. There are fish from the Niagara to Long Point...just go where it's convenient to you! Any marina or boat launch has smallmouth and perch within a 3 minute drive. Have fun!

Got it.

appreciate the help!

3 hours ago, sauce said:

Grand river below dunnville dam. 8 or so miles of river to fish. Lots of sheepshead and enough walleye to make it worth fishing for them. If you are into catfish, you can catch bullheads and big channel cats. You also have access to Erie. Best part is that you can always fish the river if the lake is too rough.

Actually more into bass. Are there bass there?

thanks!

1 hour ago, GaraldT said:

thanks!

Bass on the lake for sure, good water within a few miles east and west of the river mouth. River is very stained, not ideal bass water.  Some backwaters along the river channel are clearer and might be good for bass, haven't tried myself.

13 hours ago, GaraldT said:

thanks!

Launch in the bay east of Point Abino and jig under the moored sailboats for all kinds of EARLY Summer smallmouth action....black jibs are usually the best.....there is a public launch just west of old Crystal Beach.... and that LONG Point Abino really protects you from any west and southwest winds........ we have caught hundreds of smallmouth bass there, not to mention rock bass and perch. Here's how to get there.....the public launch is between the Buffalo Yacht Club and the Buffalo Canoe Club....you will see a small point if you look close at the map. You might  have to ZOOM OUT on this map to see land.

Edited by Mister G

12 hours ago, sauce said:

Bass on the lake for sure, good water within a few miles east and west of the river mouth. River is very stained, not ideal bass water.  Some backwaters along the river channel are clearer and might be good for bass, haven't tried myself.

Thank you sir!

• 1 month later...

Lake Erie is a finicky lady -  I would stay within a few kilometers from a launch  until you get more comfortable.  She can blow up in a hurry and calm down just as fast.

from the South is harder to hide from the waves.

From the north its calm in shore (close to bass fishing)

Really If I see the wind predicted to be over 20k, I pass.

• Like 1

If its a north wind you can launch out of port maitland on the grand where it meets the lake. Go out into the lake  in 15 feet of water or so and turn west. About one KM west there will be  a lot of large flat rocks. This area is where my young boys killed it so bad that they had enough fishing for the day. Jigging worms ( plastic too) or using small deep divers works very well. Good luck

Appreciate the help guys.

I have a nitro bass boat so any choppy water sucks. And it seems like Erie is known for this.

i wish there was some close smaller calmer lakes that would allow for a big motor like mine. I know a few not too far from me but only smaller trolling motors allowed in them.