TV question...NF

lew

Hey guys, I bought a new TV this morning and also got a surge protector but have never seen this type before with the connectors on the bottom for cable/sat IN & OUT

My satellite cable currently comes from the dish, thru the wall and hooks into the back of my BELL receiver.

With this protector do I run from the dish into the "IN" connector then out the "OUT" and then to the receiver ??

If so I'll need to get another length of cable.

001.JPG

002.JPG

15 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

I had something similar.  The tech from Rogers told me I was better off not using it.  I am not sure if that would apply to satalyte service though.

What would be the reason for not using it John ?

Far as I know they can only do good but then again I'm as far from being a techie as possible.

15 minutes ago, lew said:

What would be the reason for not using it John ?

Far as I know they can only do good but then again I'm as far from being a techie as possible.

I think the everything you add to the line weakens the signal just a little bit.  He also said that their system already has surge protection.  I'm not a techie either; I am just going by what the Rogers technician told me when I was having problems with the TV.

Signal quality through better cables was an issue with analog signals , everything I've read about digital signals is if it works , it works, fancy gold plated audiophile cables aren't going to give you a better picture than cables from Dollarama. 

Lew, years ago my former wife and I were standing in our garage watching a storm and it's light show. All at once there was a big crack of lightning and she started dancing, the lip of the garage floor was wet from rain and she was barefoot, I had flip flops on. I didn't feel a thing. When we went back inside a tv and stereo were both toasted, I put surge protectors on everything now. The lightning hit a tree just up the road and cracked the heck out of it.

• Like 1

I can believe what OF said, had the same experience sort of about 30+ years ago.  Lightning hit a tree across the road, blew 2 receptacles out of the wall on that guys house and left a black carbon track across his ceiling.   Then found out a day later it made a mess of my neighbours power panel and fried his dryer.

• Like 1

In the late 90's our place in Grand Valley took a direct hit on the TV antenna.

There was much that got blowed up that day.

We lost 2 phones, amplified TV antenna, stereo, several surge protector power bars, network switch and a computer as well as both garage door openers.

Surprisingly the TV's and the sat receivers survived. The sat boxes just had to be reset.

I don't care what even those high end surge protectors offer as a guarantee against damage,  and I have a few, they will not protect your equipment from close lightning strikes. When we have major storms coming through I unplug them from the wall and disconnect the coax cables from my satellite dishes, it's the only way to be sure.

Cheers

• Like 2