Recommended kicker motor size for 16 foot aluminum boat?

Hey guys, I’m looking to put a kicker on the back of my 16 foot StarCraft super sport.  It’s a 70s hull, not wide like the modern versions. I will have a fair bit of gear on board. 2 to 3 batteries, front trolling motor, extra gas etc. 275-300lb main motor. 

I’d like to be able to troll dead slow  but also have enough power to get back should my main motor not be functioning. I’m thinking 4 hp is fine for trolling  but too small to get back in case of failure and bad weather. 

I’m considering using a 9.5 or a 9.9 so I can throw it on a 12 footer at times also. But I’m worried that this is too big for slow trolling on my 16 foot. 

Thoughts?

Would a six or eight horse be better suited? 

12 minutes ago, fish_fishburn said:

I would think a 9.9 or 15 would do the trick. You have to take the wind into consideration as well.

I used to have a 16' Crestliner and put a 6 HP Merc on the back for a kicker and although it was great for trolling it didn't have the power to turn the boat fast in a strong wind.

Edited by lew
  • Like 2

I used to troll with my 50 when I had the 16 footer.  You can use drift socks or buckets with holes drilled in them to slow you down more if you need to, or a trolling plate. You could also consider  a 24  volt electric for trolling dead slow. I'd be aware of weight  - both from a transom perspective (what can it safely support) and an impact to your clearance from the waterline. I have a 18 ftr with a 115 and a 20 (both 4 stokes which are heavier) . The 20 only weighs 10 more lbs than a 10. I got a steal of a deal on it (it was actually cheaper than the 9 I was originally looking at). Its a little heavier than I would like and required a  bit of ballast up front to offset the weight. You may want to consider a small kicker (5 hp or less) and a VHF DSC radio. I used my 20 to get me home once. I can't say I would count on it if things turned nasty and my main failed - I'd be on the radio.

• Like 1

Hack, your boat is like this one? https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats/648918-1974-starcraft-16-ft-super-sport

In my youth I used my dad's 5hp motor on camp and rental boats, bare bones aluminum ones, 16 footers, I wasn't going anywhere fast, but it beat the heck out of rowing! Just my view? For a boat as pictured a 9.9 minimum? The boat pictured has to weigh x2 of those camp and rental boats?

Not sure how slow you really need to troll, I trolled for walleyes, pike, smallies with my 35hp Merc on a 16'8" side console and speed was never an issue, with a 60hp or more maybe?

• Like 1

I ran a 9.9 Evinrude on the back of my 80's 18' Sylvan, identical hull to a Starcraft, no problem getting back to the launch if my big motor had a problem and plenty slow enough for Pickeral trolling. It was a 2 stroke, just watch that you don't get too much weight on the transom if going to a 4 stroke, those old narrower hulls were designed when motors were a lot lighter.

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

Not sure how slow you really need to troll,

I always said if a fish couldn't catch up to a trolled bait he isn't worth catching anyways LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Haha Lew!  HF I was in the same 'boat' as you are in. I have a 70's 18ft Crestliner side console with a 45hp power tilt 2 stroke main and a 5hp 4-stroke 1cyl kicker. 2 huge batteries aft along with kicker with 5 gal gas tank.

The 5hp kicker is just fine for my application. Had to use it once when the main developed an intake leak so I shut er down before ? happened.  Got back after 3/4 hour full throttle but made good progress in a chop. Went a few miles at least. The 5hp trolls down very slow but my electric is perfect for dead calm days.  

Edited by cisco
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. 

@OhioFisherman,  that is uncanny.  That isn’t my boat, but mine is absolutely identical. Colour...motor everything. 

In calm waters, my 50 lb  Electric works beautifully. But I want something that will push through with the chop and wind out on Lake Huron.  The 65 Merc I have on it now doesn’t like trolling on hot days.  On cold days in cold water it works great. 

I just picked up a 70 hp Johnson to replace it (winter project at this point) 

and yes, I will definitely get a radio before I go big water again

A four horse should be plenty; especially if you are using a motor that is designed to be used as a kicker (different prop., etc.).  I used a 2.5 hp on my 16 footer and it worked fine.  I have now upgraded to a 5hp long shaft Sale Pro and it has plenty of power.

A 9.9 will run smoother and quieter because it will have two cylinders instead of one.  But it will also be much heavier.

You will probably want to go with a long shaft for a kicker; so it won't be ideal for putting on a 12' tinner.  

3 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Thanks guys. 

@OhioFisherman,  that is uncanny.  That isn’t my boat, but mine is absolutely identical. Colour...motor everything. 

In calm waters, my 50 lb  Electric works beautifully. But I want something that will push through with the chop and wind out on Lake Huron.  The 65 Merc I have on it now doesn’t like trolling on hot days.  On cold days in cold water it works great. 

I just picked up a 70 hp Johnson to replace it (winter project at this point) 

and yes, I will definitely get a radio before I go big water again

LOL, google search, you can usually find anything? If you're going out on big water a gps or compass will also be a good plan? Went out on Lake Erie one fall day and the fog rolled in, we weren't more than a half a mile off shore but we couldn't see it, I was real glad for regular trains and the noise they made that day, I had a compass before I went out again.

I had a 3.5hp 4 stroke kicker on my 16 footer.  It worked very well but it was a shallower draft boat.  For your rig you could bolt on a raisable kicker bracket and use a tiller extension.  You could put a short shaft motor on it and it’d pull double duty on a tinny.  I’d look at a 6hp four stroke.  Their a bit lighter than the 9.9’s and you can still use a remote tank rather than tank on top.  I’d say go with a 9.9 but I can see your dilemma with weight.  The little one lungers are noisier and shake a lot more than the 2 cylinders.

I gave up using a "kicker" many moons ago to slow troll, especially now with a iPilot unit that can not only crawl along but also follow contour lines or at least stay on course withOUT fumes and noise all day long. Why anyone wants a "kicker" to slow troll is beyond me.

3 hours ago, Mister G said:

I gave up using a "kicker" many moons ago to slow troll, especially now with a iPilot unit that can not only crawl along but also follow contour lines or at least stay on course withOUT fumes and noise all day long. Why anyone wants a "kicker" to slow troll is beyond me.

Keeps the hours off the main, nice insurance policy if you have an issue with the main, sips fuel.    What's even better is using the Terrova up front for steering and the kicker at the same time.

Edited by BillM
  • Like 1

i would go 9.9. My buddy uses one on his 16 foot princecraft (full windshield) and it works well for him. Sometimes he even has to use the bowmount to keep the boat straight if there is some wind. I personally wouldnt go less than 8 hp after watching his in action. Mind you his is a fairly heavy boat with riggers etc

Thanks again guys. 

Big water newb in me found out my 50lb bow mount wasn’t going to last in mild wind and small swells when we worked a river mouth on Huron last fall. Quickly decided big motor or kicker trolling out there. I much prefer electric trolling when application suits

One lung rattler is out. Didn’t know the 4’s were singles. Not a fan of noise. Likely going 8-9.9 for dual duty use.

I have a hi/low kicker mount, so short shaft will work. Definitely keeping as tiller so I don’t have to monkey with or buy steering controls. Plus it will only be on the boat for specific outings. (Remote locations/big water)

cheers

• 1 year later...

Aluminum boats are among the easiest boats to install a motor. It can have a range of 50-300 horsepower motors for maximal efficiency. This range already considers the boat’s size and usage. For a standard 16-foot aluminum boat, a 60 horsepower motor will suffice.

On average, it can have a speed of about 25-30 miles per hour. The load of the boat matters because it affects the speed. Depending on who is inside and what is loaded, the speed varies every time you will use this motor.