Gear lube pump

mistaredone

This is the only one they are showing on line currently... should be one in store for 16oz bottles with multiple fittings. If they don't have a fitting that fits... just thread what comes with it onto a RTV/silicone multi step tube tip and cut to the size to fit your inlet diameter

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/32-oz-gear-lube-pump/A-p8780389e

Like I said Roger.. just use an RTV/silicon tube tip if you come up against a thread that you can't get. That is what I use on both my 25 Honda and 9.9 merc. Thankfully I have a correct thread fitting for my Verado as it takes 1.8 litres.

10 hours ago, irishfield said:

Like I said Roger.. just use an RTV/silicon tube tip if you come up against a thread that you can't get. That is what I use on both my 25 Honda and 9.9 merc. Thankfully I have a correct thread fitting for my Verado as it takes 1.8 litres.

I guess you attach that tip to your pump? Would be difficult to squeeze bottle it in from the lower hole. Or maybe if you use this set up you pour the oil in from the top? (although I was told should do it from bottom to get all air out)

Roger, the thread fittings that come with the cheap bottle pump fit the thread on the RTV tip. Thread it on, cut it to the diameter you need and hold it in the BOTTOM hole. Pump...

Or if you prefer, you can use a hemorrhoid cream tip!

lundwinterization2010 002.jpg

lundwinterization2010 005.jpg

Edited by irishfield
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, irishfield said:

Roger, the thread fittings that come with the cheap bottle pump fit the thread on the RTV tip. Thread it on, cut it to the diameter you need and hold it in the BOTTOM hole. Pump...

Or if you prefer, you can use a hemorrhoid cream tip!

lundwinterization2010 002.jpg

lundwinterization2010 005.jpg

There's no doubt that white white tip and cap is off a tube of Prep H

Edited by Fisherman
  • Confused 1

On 5/11/2019 at 8:41 AM, AKRISONER said:

I still havent found one that fits my 98 yamaha TLRW130

learned the hard way that basically every outboard has a different threading. Anyone know a good source to find exactly what you need?

really 

Yamaha dealer?

13 hours ago, Rizzo said:

haha fortunately I don't have any of those tips lying around the house. I suppose you just want to give it a thorough cleaning before using it for its original purpose again

Nah, the gear oil's a good lube! :o

• Like 1

Having to HOLD the plastic tip into the bottom of the lower unit drain hole kind of defeats the whole purpose of using a pump to EASILY replace the lower unit lube oil.

Do a Google search and find the proper threaded end to make your maintenance a pain free experience.  

I got this one for my Yamaha vmax 150 from Amazon -  works well, pumps way better than Princessauto one (used that one with "homemade" adapter).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00J4YL1RE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Performance Tool W54150 Marine Lower Unit Fluid Pump

8mm fits: Yamaha, Nissan, Tohatsu, small Honda's, and Mercury Japanese origin

3/8-16 fits: OMC, Mercruiser, Evinrude, Johnson, Volvo, Force, Honda 70hp and up, and Mercury US origin

24" flexible hose easily reaches difficult to access fill plugs

Patented double threaded cap fits both the quart and gallon size lubricant

Ideal For Adding Fluids To Small Engines

marine-lower_unit_pump.jpg

The best tip I got to get the pump to work effortlessly is to put the oil container in hot water for 15 minutes before putting the pump on it. I always had a hard time before with the pump coming apart. Because of the thick oil. Much easier now and no mess.

• Thanks 1