GBay Conditions

Can anyone help with the current conditions in the bay? I'm heading up from out of town (and country), fishing the Moon River area for pike/walleye around the long weekend. Will also be fishing in the Muskoka region for lakers. 

I know it's been cold and the water high, but wondering just how far behind things are. Are the black flies out yet? 

I fished Gbay last weekend. Way south of moon river though. Water was only 46F and about a foot higher than normal. The fish were so lethargic that I couldnt even get a sniff. Going back out tomorrow. Hopefully the water has warmed up a bit.  

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

things in the lake are finally starting to wake up

black flies arent even close to out yet. Its almost bloody snowing out there today. Had to come in at lunch to warm up for a bit.

What was the water temp?

15 hours ago, bobowski said:

What was the water temp?

49ish can find 50 occasionally, but that heavy rain on Thursday kinda made everything a consistent 49. If you get near the bigger water though its still 46-47. Ive been fishing as tucked back from the big lake as absolutely possible. Im talking back back back bays with 7-9 fow.

Ive fished almost every day since beginning of the month and the fish only started biting on wednesday, but yesterday was the first day I was able to get a bit of consistency going. Its still tough though, they seem to be holding to an exact depth and an exact type of bottom, in an exact type of area. Even when you fish that kind of water the bites are slow slow slow. We had a really good bite yesterday on a moving bait but the more consistent bite just seems to be with the jerkbait while the lure isnt moving at all. Some sunny warmer weather will get things going fast, but as of right now the fish are still very very slow.

Usually May 2-4 is just ridiculous, but we are only a week away and the lake is still cold and nearly dead. At least you can get some bites now, it kind of turned on like a light switch where one day you wouldnt even see a fish and the next all of a sudden you can actually catch a couple. Its definitely not good though yet.

7 hours ago, BillM said:

Out for greasers tomorrow, should be a good day.  Winds/temps are perfect.   Time to slime the boat a bit.

Water temp was 3 deg this morning on Simcoe. Was a beauty morning to be drifting about.

shes been blowing the last few days. I got myself in some trouble on saturday and almost wrecked the boat plus lit it on fire. Long story short the crap minkotta plug caused my ground wire to tear, which caused it to heat up, which caused it to basically light on fire, and of course the happened while i was driving 4 feet away from a rock face with the wind blowing me towards it. Just a poop sho, i managed to fire up the main motor and miss the rocks by inches. BRUTAL

On 5/10/2019 at 5:37 PM, irishfield said:

On the "muskoka region" side of things, be certain you are allowed to have a boat on the lake before you do! Some are closed to ALL boating.

Fishing Lake Joe. Assuming there are no restrictions? 

I searched online but didn't see any notifications.

Thanks to all for the replies. Sounds like it's pretty rough at the moment, but hopefully the warmer weather later in the week helps. Been a cold spring; that's an understatement. 

We'll be focusing our efforts in back bays or wherever we can find some warmer water, then moving on from there if that doesn't work. 

Boat fire: ouch. Glad you didn't get hurt. 

Drove up to PAB for the day Saturday, ended up being a nice day weather wise. Fishing was slow but did manage to catch some decent eyes and just enough for a dinner and a few oos smallies, couple pushing 5+ lbs. Swimabits and jigging raps were the goto. Tried for pike in the afternoon, figured we would let the water warm up from the cool morning but the warmest water we found was 51.5 in some of the back bays. No pike to be found which was not ideal. So we just went back to fishing eyes.  

13 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

Drove up to PAB for the day Saturday, ended up being a nice day weather wise. Fishing was slow but did manage to catch some decent eyes and just enough for a dinner and a few oos smallies, couple pushing 5+ lbs. Swimabits and jigging raps were the goto. Tried for pike in the afternoon, figured we would let the water warm up from the cool morning but the warmest water we found was 51.5 in some of the back bays. No pike to be found which was not ideal. So we just went back to fishing eyes.  

I dont know what the heck happened saturday. The fish i had been patterning in on all week all of a sudden turned off again. We need some warmer weather to get things going. Perhaps this weekend things will take off some.

14 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

Were the walleye out in main lake structure or relating closer to spawning areas? 

We usually exclusively target pike on this trip but if they're not cooperating might try something new. We're not very experienced walleye fishermen. A few years ago we got into some rainbow trout by accident while fishing for pike but have never really hooked up with the walleye. 

4 hours ago, FishyFishy said:

Were the walleye out in main lake structure or relating closer to spawning areas? 

We usually exclusively target pike on this trip but if they're not cooperating might try something new. We're not very experienced walleye fishermen. A few years ago we got into some rainbow trout by accident while fishing for pike but have never really hooked up with the walleye. 

A bit of both. The ones we found on the main lake were smaller about 10"-12" range. Ones we found closer to spawning areas where bigger around 16"+ range no donkeys though. But the ones we found near the spawning areas some had spawned and some hadn't. There were some tank small jaws mixed there and I doubt that they had spawned as well even the small ones looked like they had been eating tennis balls. I wouldn't doubt if the pike are behind as well. It was tough for us to judge because we were only there for one day and to be honest spend a total of maybe 4 hours fishing pike.  

1 hour ago, Musky Plug said:

A bit of both. The ones we found on the main lake were smaller about 10"-12" range. Ones we found closer to spawning areas where bigger around 16"+ range no donkeys though. But the ones we found near the spawning areas some had spawned and some hadn't. There were some tank small jaws mixed there and I doubt that they had spawned as well even the small ones looked like they had been eating tennis balls. I wouldn't doubt if the pike are behind as well. It was tough for us to judge because we were only there for one day and to be honest spend a total of maybe 4 hours fishing pike.  

lmao the OOS smallies we were catching fishing pike were bloody baloons. Im pretty sure my buddy caught a 6lber on friday. also one 21 inchish fish that had been chomped by a musky. You could see the jaw outline it was probably 10 inches wide..nuts!

57 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

lmao the OOS smallies we were catching fishing pike were bloody baloons. Im pretty sure my buddy caught a 6lber on friday. also one 21 inchish fish that had been chomped by a musky. You could see the jaw outline it was probably 10 inches wide..nuts!

That’s crazy seeing that. Yes definitely some big ones were hungry. To bad there oos. They were inhaling 4” and 5” swimbaits. The walleye were eating them the same way too.