Kashagawigamog and Canning Lake Walleye

I've been fishing Kashagawigamog, Canning and other lakes in the chain for over 20 years.  In last few years I've seen a decline in the walleye fishing.  I'm wondering if others have seen the same thing.  Bass and muskie continue to be good, but all my usual walleye spots have slowed way down or completely dried up.  I've heard the gravel in the spawning area up on the drag river in Halliburton is covered in moss and that may be affecting the walleye spawn.  If any others who fish the lakes have any thoughts I'd love to hear from you.  Maybe a group of us can do something to improve things?

Been a couple years since I fished Kash but I don't know if there's anywhere with a more haphazard approach to walleye management than Haliburton.  I could be wrong but  I think they basically introduced them in to the Gull River by planting a bunch in Cranberry a little over 10 years ago.  And I always assumed the 10,000 or so that they stock in Barnum every year just naturally made their way down to Kash, if not, then why the heck would they dump so many in to a tiny lake?  

Dad had a place on Loon/ Dudmon nextdoor on the head of the Burnt River for 30 years ,  fished it a lot and we would not even bother fishing them till evening and the sun was kissing the horizon, success was 500% better compared to daytime.

Edited by dave524

If you fish it regularly, and have been for 20 years, you'd know best.

The MNR in Minden is a skeleton crew. You could call them, and hope for the best.

If you do see weird, abnormal moss (algae) in the Drag R, somebody is adding nutrients upstream. The MOE would likely have more teeth than the MNR if that's the case.

17 hours ago, singingdog said:

10,000 'eyes into Barnum every year??? Good one ? They haven't put that many 'eyes into barnum over the past decade.

I probably shouldn't be disparaging any work people are doing to improve the fishery, but it seems the one time Cranberry stocking was a success while I don't even understand what the goals of the Barnum or Black stockings could be.   

Seems they put a bunch in Head as well, those ones should hypothetically make it in to Kash pretty easily.