GOING FISHING!!!!!!

DanD

Just got the news about an hour ago. I won a spot to go fishing in British Columbia, at the Duncanby Lodge. Man am I ever pumped!!!!! Anyone that knows me; they'll tell you I don't get excited or I don't show it. When my sales rep from my main parts supplier, told me the news; I jumped up from my desk, ran over to her and gave her a big old hug. Don't know all the travel arrangements yet; other then we fly into Vancouver and then take a float plane to the lodge. We (other draw winners) leave mid June for four days. I've entered this draw for the last 6 years, (since it started) and never thought I'd actually win a spot.   

BUT I"M GOING TO FISH THE BC COAST!!!!!!!!   LOL!!!!!!!  

Here's a link to the lodge's website

Duncanby Lodge

Dan.

NO HAPPY HAPPY DAN!   LOL

• Like 4

Yeah; whether we fly out of London or TO everything is included. A friend that went on this trip a couple years ago; said to only take tip money for the guides and any souvenirs you may want. Meals, beverages, rain suits, safety gear, tackle you name it it's covered. Not sure about booze; but I'm not going to fog any part of this trip (not to remember it) because of it. LOL

I can't believe I'm going.

My wife also did the happy dance when I told her. Not sure if it were for the same reasons though??? LOL

On a side note Lew; what do you think is a decent tip for a guide (that you're pleased with) at this level of lodge? I have never and could never (with the wife's permission LOL) afford this kind of trip. I want to be fair and can afford a few hundred bucks per session; but want to be informed as to what is a "normal/usual'  well earned tip?

Dan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DanD said:

On a side note Lew; what do you think is a decent tip for a guide (that you're pleased with) at this level of lodge? I have never and could never (with the wife's permission LOL) afford this kind of trip. I want to be fair and can afford a few hundred bucks per session; but want to be informed as to what is a "normal/usual'  well earned tip?

A guy like bunk or Mike B would know for sure.

1 minute ago, misfish said:

Nice score Dan

All meals and snacks, including house beer and wine  :good:

OK I guess I can splurge and buy a few rusty nails for myself. LOL 

THE RUSTY NAIL COCKTAIL

Bold and brown, the Rusty Nail is the kind of cocktail your grandfather might’ve sipped before dinner while leafing through “The Saturday Evening Post.” Invented in 1937 for the British Industries Fair trade show, the two-ingredient classic highlights Drambuie, a scotch-based liqueur flavored with honey, herbs and spices, the precise combination of which remains a closely guarded secret. What we do know is that the word Drambuie is derived from Gaelic, meaning “the drink that satisfies.” The same could be said about the Rusty Nail itself.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

On a side note Lew; what do you think is a decent tip for a guide

Can't really help you with the tip Dan, we only ever hired a guide once years ago and it seems to me we gave him $100 for the 2 days.

That's why i asked you Lew; I truly respect your opinion.

If anyone else would like to chime in, on what a reasonable tip is; please do. I'm cheap but do not want to disrespect a guide and his work to get us on fish.

Dan.

when I guided in northwestern Ontario we would consider 100 bucks for 2 or3 days a good tip  but I would think in one of the higher end lodges 50 a day would be in line with what the guides expect. also if you take them some goodies, like product samples ie: baseball caps or tshirts they would be tickled too.

this  was when we were paid 100 a day by the lodge to guide.

Edited by grt1
update info

Dream trip os a lifetime. Enjoy.                                                                                                                                                                 Now if only i could be so lucky.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:51 PM, DanD said:

Just got the news about an hour ago. I won a spot to go fishing in British Columbia, at the Duncanby Lodge. Man am I ever pumped!!!!! Anyone that knows me; they'll tell you I don't get excited or I don't show it. When my sales rep from my main parts supplier, told me the news; I jumped up from my desk, ran over to her and gave her a big old hug. Don't know all the travel arrangements yet; other then we fly into Vancouver and then take a float plane to the lodge. We (other draw winners) leave mid June for four days. I've entered this draw for the last 6 years, (since it started) and never thought I'd actually win a spot.   

BUT I"M GOING TO FISH THE BC COAST!!!!!!!!   LOL!!!!!!!  

Here's a link to the lodge's website

Duncanby Lodge

Dan.

NO HAPPY HAPPY DAN!   LOL

Congrats on the win! I was lucky enough to have a work trip to Sonora Resort in BC a few years ago - similar idea, fly to vancouver, take a float plane/heli jet in. We did a 6 hour fishing derby and it was incredible. The scenery is like nothing we have around here. 

Managed to catch a 15lb salmon and they cleaned and freezer packed it for me...took it home as a carry on and was still frozen solid when I got back to Toronto!

You'll have a blast - be sure to post some pics!

FF17

Thanks FF17 I’m still spinning from the news. I know a number of other mechanics who have been on this trip and not a bad word from anyone. So far there are three guys that I know very well that are going this year. Makes for an extra bonus having friends along. 

Dan. 

• 1 month later...

I leave tomorrow on this trip; longest month of my life waiting.  Why I brought this thread back up; is that I'm looking for any tips on halibut fishing. Watched a bunch of videos and read a ton of articles on fishing for them; but would like to hear from anyone's first hand experiences?  I've done a lot of down rigging, here on Lake Erie. So the salmon fishing won't be as much a mystery to me; as what bottom bouncing for halibut is going to be. 

Dan.