GOING FISHING!!!!!!

DanD

1 minute ago, DanD said:

I'd be happy with just one to take home; but wouldn't mind practicing catch & release after that. LOL Nice haul for your niece and company! Thanks for posting the pic HH.

Dan.

Take a look at the large white coloured fish,those are Halibut. They come in the same way they lay on the lawn, sideways! Hence the dinner platter comment.

Darker coloured fish are BC cod and considered a delicacy on the west coast. I won't bother posting the pics of their crab fishing adventures!

Enjoy your trip Dan!

HH

Dan, you the Man. You must feel like you just won the lottery. Always wanted to fish British Calabria, it's on my to fish bucket list. My kid brother who can count on 1 hand how many times he fished actually fished the Fraser while visiting in-laws. Even he slayed the Cut Throat. Way to go Dan. 

A 100 tip for 2 days is fair, that is if you feel the guide did a great job. Not all guides deserve a tip but if they have a job at this resort they must be good. I always leave a tip for housekeeping the day I check in and the day I check out, as well and don't forget your servers and kitchen staff. Check with your fellow guests to see what they intend on tipping, if anything. I usually earmark 200 to 300 bucks for a week for tips, maybe too much but I know how tough it is working hospitality and they depend on tips to pay the bills. Usually working for minimum wages. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

was blessed enough to spend some time salmon fishing in Haida Gwaii

Needless to say that there is more than just fishing to do. Just a day in the boat is a bloody adventure. I remember sitting one day as we trolled along, I was staring at the snow capped mountains of alaska, while Whales, Porpoises and sea lions could all be seen.

A really incredible place.

An oldtimer told us stories about his great fishing adventures and prowess from around the world. He said to get ready to catch Halibut out west the would tie a line to a refrigerator on 1 side of the house, go to the other side and try and reel it up and over the roof. Are you ready? Get to the gym bucko. 

I just read your by-line. I have a buddy from way back in high school that will serve  you anything you want at his home, that is as long as it's a Rusty Nail. By the time you are ready to leave you have to Uber ride home. 

Just back from my BC trip and all I can say is amazing!!!!!! I cannot find one thing that I could complain about with Duncanby Lodge. AAWG7455.thumb.JPG.7aea5ab547306d33eca6a1c9986c7689.JPGThe fishing again was amazing, I have no idea of how many chinook that I caught;  I lost count? Anything under 10lbs we released; along with anything above 30lbs (Called a Tyee)  due to their genetics of being that big.TYEE.thumb.JPG.6abac944f739fb44cdaf730460bf575f.JPG I was lucky enough to be on a boat where one of the guys landed a Tyee at 32lbs We were able to release it after about 10 minutes of hard work for it to swim away strong.  The lodge owner and guides were very pro catch and release of these large fish. To make it even more appealing they offer up a hand carved center pin reel to anyone that releases a Tyee.IMG_2673.thumb.JPG.f92a9edc46003c77aa245bce9ead5cbc.JPGIMG_2680.thumb.JPG.60f74b02edc2073bf3aee3c37726c6e9.JPG  My largest fish was 20lbs and all fight; it and the others came out of the water 5 or 6 times trying to shake the hook. Being barb less hooks just added to the fight. I have never fished with a center pin before; so it was also a bit of a challenge; but now I'm looking to buy one. We also fished for ling cod and rock fish (sorry no pics) . I was reeling in about a 3 lb rock fish and a ling cod grabbed it and had my fish half way down its throat by the time I landed them both. Here is one of the 20lbers that I caught.TVNA2966.thumb.JPG.35e62272bff4536d5395ab442a5d5de4.JPG

If anyone here ever is offered a trip to fish the West coast of BC; do not hesitate to go.

Just amazing fishing.

Dan.

DIQF9432.JPG

EDTT5321 (10).JPG

• Like 2