Crappie fishing was crappy

jimmer

Got out on the weekend a couple of times and found it tough to find any numbers. Sunday was horrible, only caught one between two guys in a few hours. The perch and bluegill weren't even biting, however got into a few gill in the evening. The surface was too still for me and way too many of those bugs to enjoy the day.

Kept a few on Saturday for a meal.

IMG_20190504_194444.jpg

Try using a search bait to find them.  I like a rapala J05 in fire-tiger.  Fan cast an area and once you've caught one, zero in on the spot with micro jig under a slip-bobber.  On my home kawartha lake, they could be anywhere this time of year as much of the vegetation and bottom structure is similar.  Warmer bays on the west and north side of a waterbody I feel warm quicker. 

• Like 1

The water is still cold. Every year there has a been a good group of anglers. I,ll bet I could count how many this year on one hand. Even the corms were coming up empty. The staging has started,but they are not in their preferred depths.

That is a nice one Jimmer.

Different spots have different times. We have a spot on Scugog we get crappies from as soon as the lake is ice free. This year it was the first part of April and this spot lasted for a week. My Kawartha shore spot turns on real good when you can see the trilliums in flower in the bush. It is not ready yet but in a normal spring it would be by now. Spending a week up there starting Saturday. I hope it is on by then.

Temperatures hyave thrown everything out of sync. Cold fronts, cold rains, have kept water temps far below what they should be. March started out OK, bur April has been a progressive bust. The only positive is that trout are still in the tribs.

• Like 1

checked the spring spots last weekend, nothing...so we moved to the staging area, just found some perch, then we went to the winter spot...still nothing...this was in desperation after we couldnt get any pike to bite either...last weekend was a total bust, everything is done with winter mode and waiting for the water to warm up.

You know its bad when you cant even get a single pike to bite in two days lol

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Well my fav fish should be right on come this weekend. I hope. Jiggy jiggy the meegs.

Release the toons :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

A friend fishes a river on the east side for perch Brian but early season some whitties are always present. They got close to a dozen this week. I'm betting there will still be some in there for the opener. I don't recall that ever happening. Crazy cold wet April we had???

2 hours ago, bigugli said:

Temperatures hyave thrown everything out of sync. Cold fronts, cold rains, have kept water temps far below what they should be. March started out OK, bur April has been a progressive bust. The only positive is that trout are still in the tribs.

This is usually a peak time of year for them here, this year has been screwy though weather wise! 71 here today, tomorrow the high is forecast for 51, them cold fronts just keep rolling in!

9 hours ago, crappieperchhunter said:

A friend fishes a river on the east side for perch Brian but early season some whitties are always present. They got close to a dozen this week. I'm betting there will still be some in there for the opener. I don't recall that ever happening. Crazy cold wet April we had???

It,s been the same here Steve. Just not saying.LOL

On 5/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, jimmer said:

Got out on the weekend a couple of times and found it tough to find any numbers. Sunday was horrible, only caught one between two guys in a few hours. The perch and bluegill weren't even biting, however got into a few gill in the evening. The surface was too still for me and way too many of those bugs to enjoy the day.

Kept a few on Saturday for a meal.

IMG_20190504_194444.jpg

Been a tough spring weather-wise and the water is still cold. We went out one day and slayed them. Then the weather changed the next day and we were hard pressed to find even small ones!