"JUMBO" Time

They're all set up and biting! This is going to be a beautiful weekend to get out for a feed of perch! We released the biggest ones to help sustain the population! 1/8 oz. Ultra Tungsten ball jigs with various plastics were the key! Figure out what depth they're at, stay on that depth using your Navionics charts and you'll smash them but please be selective.

2019 Perch-190503-002-E.jpg

2019 Perch-190503-005-E.jpg

2019 Perch-190503-015-E.jpg

• Like 4

Nice fish bud.

27 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

David, just curious, what body of water is that? Always impressed by some of the perch pics, I can't recall seeing them that fat on this side of Erie, even pre spawn.

Looking at the back ground Paul, I would say it,s lake X :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Nice fish bud.

Looking at the back ground Paul, I would say it,s lake X :P

LOL, the elusive lake x? I haven't really fished for perch here since I was in high school Brian, but I can't recall ours here being that portly any time of year.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:17 PM, OhioFisherman said:

David, just curious, what body of water is that? Always impressed by some of the perch pics, I can't recall seeing them that fat on this side of Erie, even pre spawn.

This is on Lake Simcoe, one of the world's foremost perch fisheries! I'll post some pics from our perch tournament today shortly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Chong said:

This is on Lake Simcoe, one of the world's foremost perch fisheries! I'll post some pics from our perch tournament today shortly!

Kind of what I thought, evidently no shortage of food for them there. It seems to me that Lake Erie used to be better for perch, but with the ban on Walleye netting here they focus on perch. Looks like the makings of a great fish fry!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 9:48 PM, OhioFisherman said:

Kind of what I thought, evidently no shortage of food for them there. It seems to me that Lake Erie used to be better for perch, but with the ban on Walleye netting here they focus on perch. Looks like the makings of a great fish fry!

If you saw the #'s of emerald shiners clogging the marinas right now Paul, it would probably blow your mind.  Not to mention the  gobies and freshwater shrimp in Simcoe.  That said, I got a big one this weekend that spit up another small perch as I was lifting it into the boat.  As soon as the little one hit the water it bolted back down to bottom.   Its antagonizer was not so lucky lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

If you saw the #'s of emerald shiners clogging the marinas right now Paul, it would probably blow your mind.  Not to mention the  gobies and freshwater shrimp in Simcoe.  That said, I got a big one this weekend that spit up another small perch as I was lifting it into the boat.  As soon as the little one hit the water it bolted back down to bottom.   Its antagonizer was not so lucky lol.

It's been a lot of years since I was on Lake Erie Chuck but it also had massive schools of emerald shiners, we would usually see them in the fall along the break walls while smallie fishing and some seemed 100 yards long. We also seem to have our fair share of gobies and I am guessing freshwater shrimp too, along with the mayfly and midge hatches that drive people living along the lakefront nuts.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 1:45 AM, Chuck Enwinde said:

Amazing, you can walk across the emeralds! I've had them cough up shiners, gobies & baby perch, damn cannibals! LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Chong said:

Thanks but the fishing was a lot tougher on tournament day! Surprisingly the weatherman was wrong with his forecast! LOL

2019 MMM-001.jpg

Yah, I was with a buddy out of Sibbald on Saturday, but not in the tourney. Didn't see the sun until we were south of Hwy 7 on the way home. On and off drizzle all morning.

We did find fish, but they were clearly still in full blown spawn. Was able to sight fish them in 12 ft of water, but only the dinks were interested in eating. Was fun bouncing the bait off the bottom and watching the perch come in from all directions, bump it with their nose, give it a quick lick and swim off.

Most consistent bite was dragging plastics along the bottom.

Hoping to get out again this weekend but Mother's Day and weather are locking up my time.

HH

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 12:37 PM, JMFJMF said:

Sigh, I miss fishing on Lake Simcoe, but I am unable to find an affordable boat launch, all of the ones we were using having been blocked off by hefty fines to use them.

The Provincial Parks are still affordable and up in the northwest corner of lake Simcoe,  the Smith Bay launch is still free!

Thanks David. Unfortunately I live in the south so the Northwest corner is beyond a reasonable commute for us. The southern Provincial park cost more than a fishing reel per day just to park. I don't feel good being racketed like that, and I don't think it's right to encourage it by giving in.