Swimbait Rod

Hey guys, I've been looking at picking up a designated swimbait/pike setup for this season. Ive been looking at a 8' G Loomis imx pro 3-8oz swimbait rod or the 2-6oz also 8' but I'm hesitant about spending that much cash on a fishing rod. Does anyone have any feed back on these rods or can recommend something similar with a softer price point. Rod would be used for bigger lures like regular bulldogs, jr shadzillas and other 6-8" swimbaits. Any info is helpful. Thanks guys. 

A few to check out:

Daiwa DXSB Swimbait

Daiwa Tatutla Swimbait

Daiwa Kage Swimbait

Daiwa Steez Swimbait

Okuma Guide Select Swimbait

Okuma SBX Swimbait

Temple Fork GTS Swimbait

St.Croix Mojo Bass Swimbait

Shimano Teramar West Coast Inshore Swimbait (TMCX80MHB)

Chaos Tackle Assault Sticks Surgical Strike

I think Tackle Industries might have some as well.

6 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

Has anyone tried Dobyns rods? Ive never used one. 

Thanks. Ill have to check them out. 

yes...not for me, and a lot of people agree that they really dont like them. 

My buddy throws the tatula swimbait and loves it. 

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

My buddy throws the tatula swimbait and loves it. 

I wouldn't buy a lower end Dobyn, but I love my 704CB Glass for cranks/light top waters.   It's a riot.

10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

3 hours ago, BillM said:

I wouldn't buy a lower end Dobyn, but I love my 704CB Glass for cranks/light top waters.   It's a riot.

Good to know. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, adempsey said:

A few to check out:

Daiwa DXSB Swimbait

Daiwa Kage Swimbait

These look pretty sweet, definitely have to see if the local places here have any. Also found St Croix LT lipstick rod LM79HMF. Its a musky rod but on the smaller side of the scale. 

Anyone used any of these? 

I use Dobyns rods quite a bit but have never used a Fury rod. I have 7 altogether from the champion line, to the crankbait series and the Dobyns Extremes. I really do like their rods. They do have a few swimbait rods that are listing in the Champion lineup that I know my friends use for heavy swimbaits for bass. If I were looking to buy a swimbait rod and wanted to spend that type of money, I would look at a Dobyns XP 806 swimbait rod.

I am however not so sure I would sepnd that type of money on a swimbait rod as I do not use it as a main technique. I would more than likely look at one of the 13 fishing options. If you go back to the tackllewarehouse link posted above, you will see on the left hand sife there is a heading for "Technique specific" There is a swimbait option that lists a bunch of affordable swimbait options but also leaves out a bunch on that site.

Just food for thought.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:40 PM, Lape0019 said:

Dobyns XP 806 swimbait rod.

I checked it out online and looks like a nice rod also had good reviews. However no tackle stores in my area carry those rods. I prefer to see and test the rod before I buy it. 

Think I'm going to go with the Daiwa Kage  801HRB swimbait rod. Has decent reviews from what I could find and overall looks like a good rod. 

Edited by Musky Plug

If you are a muskie fisherman you likely already have a rod.  The st croix lt Jerk comes to mind.  The lipstick is basically a pool cue.  Way too heavy i would think.

48 minutes ago, Raf said:

If you are a muskie fisherman you likely already have a rod.  The st croix lt Jerk comes to mind.  The lipstick is basically a pool cue.  Way too heavy i would think.

Yes, I do have musky rods but they're both on the heavier side. One is rated from 5-10oz and the other 6-16oz. I'm looking for something a little bit softer. Yes the lipstick is a pool cue. I will check out the Jerk.