Fishing Spots within 2-3 hours of the GTA

S_EEk_ER

Hi everyone,

First post on the site.  I haven't been fishing much at all over the last decade and live in the GTA.  This year I'd like to change that and get out - drive up north somewhere on a weekend, rent a boat and get out on the water.  The last lake I fished was Lake Dalrymple, just east of Orillia.  Bass and pike would probably be what I'd be interested in fishing most or even small fish like crappie or perch would be nice too.  I don't have any experience with walleye.

Can someone recommend any spots within 2-3 hours of the GTA that have boat rentals and perhaps a place to stay overnight too?

Thanks and happy fishing!

No one will give you precise spot. But any lake with public access will have fish. Lots of lakes within  2 hours of gta that have public launches.

Sounds like your new to fishing, make sure you read and respect all the regulations and follow whatever license you buy (sport or conservation).

Bass doesn't open until late June, and walleye isn't till late May. Theres usually limits on perch and crappie as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tjames09 said:

No one will give you precise spot.

I figured that ?

I used to fish a long time ago so I am familiar with different fishing seasons depending on the fish and limits etc.  I always had a conservation license because I catch-and-release.  I actually didn't know there were limits on crappie.  Thanks for the tip - I know it's important to always be in compliance.

There are limits on most panfish now. Sunfish have a limit of 300, but only 30 at a specific size.

These are examples from the regs for zone 17.

Crappie
Season: open all year
Limits: S-30 and C-10

Sunfish
Limits: S-300; only 30 may be greater
than 18 cm, and C-15

Yellow Perch
Limits: S-50 and C-25

Most of the kawarthas provides good fishing and there is usually free access somewhere.

If you wanna come out one day when bass season opens I can take you out on lake erie and lay the hurt on some small jaws. been catching walleye in the mix last year too. Most fish coming on jerkbaits so it's good times.