PSA - inflatable PFDs on sale

Never thought manual inflatables were a good idea. You fall and hit your head and go in, faint in the heat, crash your boat under power and get knocked unconscious, you are dead. 

Theres even the argument that you shouldn’t wear a auto inflate while driving a boat under power. For a while I switched to wearing the vest while driving when i realized I was getting into the habit of wearing the vest while driving but then nothing while fishing. To me it seemed stupid to not wear the auto inflate while driving or fishing just because I was scared it might not inflate. The odds of it not inflating while having an accident under power is probably 1-1000000000000th compared to the odds of me going in for whatever reason while standing up fishing. For that reason I switched back to the auto full time and feel good knowing I’m wearing a pfd at all times. 

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Never thought manual inflatables were a good idea. You fall and hit your head and go in, faint in the heat, crash your boat under power and get knocked unconscious, you are dead. 

Theres even the argument that you shouldn’t wear a auto inflate while driving a boat under power. For a while I switched to wearing the vest while driving when i realized I was getting into the habit of wearing the vest while driving but then nothing while fishing. To me it seemed stupid to not wear the auto inflate while driving or fishing just because I was scared it might not inflate. The odds of it not inflating while having an accident under power is probably 1-1000000000000th compared to the odds of me going in for whatever reason while standing up fishing. For that reason I switched back to the auto full time and feel good knowing I’m wearing a pfd at all times. 

You make some good points. I too do the drive with pfd, fish without. Maybe I’ll buy the auto type. It’s on sale too but only 20% off

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

The one you are posting is manual and auto. I have the mustang. I know it inflates fast,as it fell off my toon and inflated instantly when it hit the water.  If you watch,Cabelas and bass pro have them on for $89-$99.

I have a bass pro branded one.. I've had it for a few years but starting to question if it works properly. It was stored in a compartment that got a lil wet over a long weekend and it didn't inflate. Wondering if it's a water pressure type deal that inflates it or what?

Either way, good deal for a mustang auto inflate.

2 hours ago, boombap said:

I have a bass pro branded one.. I've had it for a few years but starting to question if it works properly. It was stored in a compartment that got a lil wet over a long weekend and it didn't inflate. Wondering if it's a water pressure type deal that inflates it or what?

Either way, good deal for a mustang auto inflate.

You actually have to submerge them to soak the paper type bobbin before they will inflate. A little dampness probably won't do it. Rain falling from above won't do it either.

• Like 3

ive fished for 30 years with no lifejacket.  I became a father in febuary one of the first things I did was buy an auto inflate.   I have a new rule its on before keys go in the ignition.   I read way to many stories every year of seasoned fisherman just dissapearing and found days later with their fly undone to risk it anymore.