FLOODING

misfish

I live a 2 minute walk from the old pumping station and pier in Grimsby so I have some reference marks for water level for Ontario,  it is as high as it was in mid 80's when I moved here judging  by an old piling top that has been high and dry for the past 30 years.

The last time I went fishing Deg and Whopper from the board took me out with one of Whopper's friends, like 2005? We started out from a western basin harbor and left a mud trail as we left the dock. Wind direction there was always a factor on the water level, but even from fishing that area from years before the water level was low.

I saw a video a while back of a friend of a friend fishing a western basin harbor a couple of years ago, and it looked like the were dredging that area.

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

The last time I went fishing Deg and Whopper from the board took me out with one of Whopper's friends, like 2005? We started out from a western basin harbor and left a mud trail as we left the dock. Wind direction there was always a factor on the water level, but even from fishing that area from years before the water level was low.

I saw a video a while back of a friend of a friend fishing a western basin harbor a couple of years ago, and it looked like the were dredging that area.

Them was the good old days Paul  ?

• Like 1

I live across the street from lake Ontario on the Etobicoke Creek but I've been too lazy to go across to see how high it is there. Maybe Saturday if the weather is good I'll take a trip across and look the go to the credit river.

Erie and now superior are approaching all time highs. Huron is already at its level from last year and is expected to go up another foot. Ridiculous because I spent the last 10 years worrying about low water and modifying docks and boat ramps to account for lower water and now this year I am going to have to revert everything back lol probably just in time for the water levels to fall off again.

GBAY levels are what they were in the mid 80,s. They also say it will rise another 12 cm this year. Wind direction from the north has pushed the water over the road at Wasaga beach this year and will happen alot if the north winds pick up. There will be no beach . This means the notty will be higher then norm alot this year.

Edited by misfish

Just now, misfish said:

GBAY levels are what they were in the mid 80,s. They also say it will rise another 12 cm this year. Wind direction from the north has pushed the water over the road at Wasaga beach this year and will happen alot if the north winds pick up.  This means the notty will be higher then norm alot this year.

Was there yesterday, if it does come up another 12cm, there won't be much beach and likey the waves will wash onto the road.

and it just keeps on raining...its been absolutely pouring here all morning and its supposed to be worse this afternoon. Luckily I cant flood here because I am close to the water, Lake Huron isnt going to rise 5 feet in a day because of some rain, but anyone on a river around here, holy crap look out! Judging just by how much water is running through my yard out of the bush, including the very small creek that runs through our yard i couldnt imagine actually living on a proper river. The entire yard by the creek is up at least a foot and thats in 2 inch deep creek.

If you drive up the 400 keep an eye out when you cross the moon river, the forrest is a raging river, its absolutely nuts.

Whats even more messed up is they are calling for it to be the hottest summer in history, so all of this rain is going to dump on us all spring and then it will turn to an absolute tinder box come summer time and we will have fires again up here. Bloody climate change is nuts.

Edited by AKRISONER

The Ottawa River up by Pembroke will probably beat the old record set in 1960. Isnt pretty it rained all night really hard and more expected today. I am close enough to see the river at the end of my street. I am about 6 to 10 ft above  the existing water level. Im heading out shortly to the sandbag pickup at the other end of my street. Gonna fill some sandbags its all volunteer around here people are amazing.

Water levels have dropped quite a bit over my way but the Otonabee River is still running fast and furious.

The Trent system opens next weekend...(I think)...and if the river doesn't slow down a LOT I can't imagine any boats being able to navigate it with the crazy water flow.

Water levels have huge fluctuations over a 50-60 year period, Yet each new generation seems to be oblivious to the problems of the past. In the early 70's water levels on L Erie were so high that numerous homes were washed out onto the lake, or had the foundation collapse due to extreme erosion.  Flooding in the Haliburtons, Muskokas or Ottawa valley is not new.  Water is not static. Nor are the shorelines. Any human action is temporary. One should not build on a flood plain. Nor places so close to the high water mark as to risk flooding.  YEt after every major flood people are allowed to rebuild in the same locations.Members of our family have lived close to water for over 70 years in Ontario. No structure has ever been placed close to the high water mark. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigugli said:

Water levels have huge fluctuations over a 50-60 year period, Yet each new generation seems to be oblivious to the problems of the past. In the early 70's water levels on L Erie were so high that numerous homes were washed out onto the lake, or had the foundation collapse due to extreme erosion.  Flooding in the Haliburtons, Muskokas or Ottawa valley is not new.  Water is not static. Nor are the shorelines. Any human action is temporary. One should not build on a flood plain. Nor places so close to the high water mark as to risk flooding.  YEt after every major flood people are allowed to rebuild in the same locations.Members of our family have lived close to water for over 70 years in Ontario. No structure has ever been placed close to the high water mark. 

Well said. People are unwise to build on floodplains and below high water mark. Who pays for damages? Owner for sure.  Insurance companies usually  don’t grant flood insurance in flood prone areas.  Governments  who grant building permits in these areas?  On our first trip to the Outer Banks in NC we saw most ocean waterfront homes on block stilts.  At a museum we saw hurricane water surge levels up to near the top of the stilts.  No brainer. 

• Like 1

OPG currently using Lake Temagami as a storage lagoon, as an attempt to stop more flooding downstream, and going to wreck a LOT of crib docks with the lake still totally covered in ice!

Edited by irishfield

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

Exactly, I worked on Long Point at the Provincial Park in "73 and '74, it it was a common occurrence in those years with the right wind for the causeway on to the point to be underwater and flooding on the bayside cottages, stuck on the point waiting for the winds to change ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Exactly, I worked on Long Point at the Provincial Park in "73 and '74, it it was a common occurrence in those years with the right wind for the causeway on to the point to be underwater and flooding on the bayside cottages, stuck on the point waiting for the winds to change ? 

I had my Searay docked in west harbor in the Port Clinton area in the mid 1980's and it wasn't unusual to be walking thru water Memorial Day weekend to get to my dock. In the 90's some of those places in East and West harbor could have used a couple of more feet of water! When you stand a chance of 10 - 12 feet + waves hitting the shoreline with any good storm? it should be a warning not to build to close to it?

Spoke too soon about Long Point, I see on the news this morning, the park is closed for the weekend, flooded , like back in 74 when I worked there. Now I am confused, in '74 we in in a cycle of global cooling and it flooded due to high water ,  now we are in a cycle of warming and high water is causing flooding again ? 

edit: in other news, a couple of days ago with the right wind, this parking lot at the old Pumphouse at the mouth of Forty Creek got flooded around the corner from my home, never seen this in thirty-five years here.

pumphouse.jpg

Edited by dave524