Fish picture help?

OhioFisherman

11 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

I think Dozer has it.  They seem a bit small for spawning peacock's.  

Ya, couldn't really get a size reference from that picture, and no idea how big peacocks have to be to start spawning, but with two of those fish in the picture at this time of year it did seem like a spawning thing.

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from Fort Lauderdale area and they are all an absolute hoot on spinning and fly rod tackle

caught cichlids, oscars, peacocks. all public all diy. I could get hooked on them pretty quick pun intended sorry!

On 4/30/2019 at 3:16 PM, Tom S said:

Looks like they get a bit bigger than your typical sunfish. Probably lots of fun on  light tackle.

https://www.bigcatchflorida.com/eligible-species/mayan-cichlid.aspx

LOL, take a look on the list for Florida's state record for red ear sunfish, 4.86 pounds?

fishing_record_jf-rede.jpg

Panfish as big as the pan? When I was young my next door neighbor's grandfather had a 2 acre pond out in the country here in northern Ohio, it was pretty common to catch bluegills pushing a pound there, for there size they fought well!

34 minutes ago, bonessk01 said:

just got back from Fort Lauderdale area and they are all an absolute hoot on spinning and fly rod tackle

caught cichlids, oscars, peacocks. all public all diy. I could get hooked on them pretty quick pun intended sorry!

Puns are fun?

6 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Which fish? The little striped fellow or the one on bottom directly below it? ?

I saw 2 fish in the picture too, no idea of the color variations on those fish, but they both look to be the same species to me.

Fired up male and a female most likely - or a male sub.  They're a riot to catch on ultra light and make fantastic gator food, along with the 100 other invasive fish species found in the waterways.  Hurray for invasives diversity!

19 minutes ago, Dozer said:

Fired up male and a female most likely - or a male sub.  They're a riot to catch on ultra light and make fantastic gator food, along with the 100 other invasive fish species found in the waterways.  Hurray for invasives diversity!

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-sp-outdoors-everglades-fishing-20170511-story.html

Evidently they are good people food too?