Catching up

Bernie

Hello all. I guess it’s been a while since I last checked in here. Never had an issue with anyone or anything here, just slowly drifted away. 

I have been working as a mobile mechanic on a two week on two week off rotation at DeBeers Victor mine for the last 4 1/2 years. Best job I ever had. Not easy work but the payoff is enjoying two weeks at home. The pit at the mine is now closed and the stockpile is nearly depleted. Reclamation has already began. They asked me to stay on for the next year or two, maybe more, so I should be able to retire when I’m finished there. 

Im the fat guy on the right of the picture. ?

4D235640-A81F-428C-B124-88724E91BED1.jpeg

• Like 2

It is humbling to see  how big the equipment is that they use in mining operations.  Glad to hear from you here Bernie spring is almost here and those two weeks off will get more and more valuable. 

Art

• Like 1

I can only say that I can imagine the fishing is great here. We are not allowed to go fishing on off hours unfortunately. Hopefully someday I’ll be able to wet a line.

The Attawapiskat River flows by the mine 90 km from the James Bay coast and is a beautiful sight to see. I’ll take any opportunity I can to take the four kilometre drive from the main camp just to have a look at it. Most of the area up there is a marsh and the only place trees get larger is around the river banks as it allows proper drainage for growth.

I don’t think the area is ever fished much as to access it is difficult. But it was a fisherman who recognized a piece of kimberlite along the riverbank which led to the discovery of diamonds in the area. I don’t think he has to worry about how much fishing gear costs anymore.

I have asked many of the locals what kind of fish are in the river, many just shrug their shoulders. But from a few of the older ones they say walleye and pike are prevalent, I’m not sure about other species. Moosebunk probably has better information on it.