Spinning Rod Recommendation

bobowski

So I'm looking at picking up a new spinning rod for this season. I"m looking for a rod that will be good for flipping weightless Senkos and jigs for bass. It also has to have the back bone to be able to get fish out of thick cover quickly. I usually fish a lot of Lilly pads. I'm thinking something medium heavy with a fast tip would probably do the job. Does anyone have any recommendations on what rod I should get? Thanks guys.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Aird_X_Spinning_Rods/descpage-DAXS.html

You might check out the bottom one on the list here, it's a Diawa rod and very reasonably priced, they maybe available locally for you? All kinds of options and pricing out there and everyone seems to have their own opinion on what rod feels right to them. I was surprised to see the guys on tactical bass using them because they rarely use any under 100 bucks, they seemed happy with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

You might check out the bottom one on the list here, it's a Diawa rod and very reasonably priced, they maybe available locally for you? All kinds of options and pricing out there and everyone seems to have their own opinion on what rod feels right to them. I was surprised to see the guys on tactical bass using them because they rarely use any under 100 bucks, they seemed happy with them.

Thanks. The price is certainly right. I will have to look into this rod. Thanks 

1 hour ago, mamona said:

Are we talking about Daiwa Aird X MH? Price in Canada (Sail) seems to be very attractive.
Any more info about this rod? I am a big fan of Fenwick.

AIRX701MHFS  That is the Diawa model number for the one I was referring to, 7 foot one piece medium heavy action, 8-17 pound test line, 1/4- 1 ounce lures.

I have no personal experience with the rod, but it seems to be in the power range bobowski may need.

These guys give a brief review of that series of rods about 10 minutes into this video. I haven't really been able to fish since 2003 , never bought a rod on line or bought a rod that I didn't hold in my hand before using. I haven't bought a rod in 25 years? I have a few older Diawa spinning rods, Heartland series as I recall, and didn't have any issues with those roughly 45 dollar Diawa rods at the time I bought them.

Just throwing out options, and I like lower priced ones.

Hard to say what I like vs what you might like and not knowing a budget is even harder to guess.  

I stick with Shimano as I can get to the depot for warranty work or tune up on reels in an hour drive.  

1 hour ago, GBW said:

Hard to say what I like vs what you might like and not knowing a budget is even harder to guess.  

I stick with Shimano as I can get to the depot for warranty work or tune up on reels in an hour drive.  

Sorry I guess u should have mentioned a budget. Anything up to about $200 I would say is my budget. 

3 hours ago, GBW said:

Do you like cork or EVA for grip?  I have not held one of these yet but I hear the new SLX line as a whole is very good for the price.  https://naturalsports.ca/products/shimano-slx-spinning-rod

Those also look like decent rods, but for flipping or pitching around cover the recommended lure weight can be a hint if the rod is going to have a  heavy enough action for it?

2 hours ago, Pigeontroller said:

I'm thinking you'd have more and better options for that type of rod in a casting rod?

It's one heck of a lot easier to find a casting rod with heavy enough action for the purpose. Just looked at some rod brands and that Diawa was the only one I saw rated to 1 ounce, most ended at 3/4 ounce. Never used lures - baits that heavy here much but it is an indication of how much power a rod has?

Back in the 1990's I was in my favorite tackle store here and they had a couple of Falcon flipping sticks ( 7' 6" telescoping ) made with spinning reel handles, I bought one to try out, by the time I got back to the store the other was gone and they were discontinued. I used a 1970's era Abu 507 reel on it, an under-spin.

If you don't mind ordering online, a Dobyns Sierra series SA704SF or SA 705SF would likely do the trick for you. Finding heavy powered bass rods that are designed for spinning reels is getting harder and harder. I have used a 704SF in the champion line but have not looked at their Sierra line before. It replaced the Savvy series which I did have one of and it was a good rod.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lape0019 said:

If you don't mind ordering online, a Dobyns Sierra series SA704SF or SA 705SF would likely do the trick for you. Finding heavy powered bass rods that are designed for spinning reels is getting harder and harder. I have used a 704SF in the champion line but have not looked at their Sierra line before. It replaced the Savvy series which I did have one of and it was a good rod.

http://dobynsrods.com/rods/sierra/

Those seem like they have the right stuff to me also.

I cannot imagine choosing a rod any other way than going into a store with a good selection and holding the rod in my hand and asking to pair it with a reel they have in store, either the same as the one I intend to use or similar, but Fenwick, St.croix and Shimano rods have always been a good choice for me.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 7:41 PM, Pigeontroller said:

I'm thinking you'd have more and better options for that type of rod in a casting rod?

So you think I should be tossing weightless senkos with a casting setup? I've never actually done this. I've always just been more comfortable tossing them with a spinning setup. 

Because of your intended area of use, I would say a casting rod would be more inline with what I would use. A weightless senko still weighs enough to get decent distance from a cast and would be easier to control where your jigs ends up.

Other than wacky rigging and drop shotting, all of my other techniques are done on a casting rod. Switching to a casting rod will also open up your options for rods and price point but the reel may end up being more expensive as I have found you do not want to skimp on a casting reel. Especially if it is your first one.

If a casting combo appeals to you, I would recommend you look at the Shimano SLX rods and reels. Most places have specials on them right now where you get a discount for buying both at the same time. At least, I have seen this deal at the local shop and another in Belleville.

14 minutes ago, Lape0019 said:

Because of your intended area of use, I would say a casting rod would be more inline with what I would use. A weightless senko still weighs enough to get decent distance from a cast and would be easier to control where your jigs ends up.

Other than wacky rigging and drop shotting, all of my other techniques are done on a casting rod. Switching to a casting rod will also open up your options for rods and price point but the reel may end up being more expensive as I have found you do not want to skimp on a casting reel. Especially if it is your first one.

If a casting combo appeals to you, I would recommend you look at the Shimano SLX rods and reels. Most places have specials on them right now where you get a discount for buying both at the same time. At least, I have seen this deal at the local shop and another in Belleville.

I have a few baitcasters that i use regularly. I've just never considered using them for this technique. I love my Shimano Compre baitcasting rod but mainly use it for throwing swimbaits and spinners. 

2 hours ago, bobowski said:

So you think I should be tossing weightless senkos with a casting setup? I've never actually done this. I've always just been more comfortable tossing them with a spinning setup. 

Senkos are more then heavy enough to easily use with a baitcast setup.   

• Like 1

I think the best bang for the buck is Bass Pro branded rods, but that's just me. I use med heavy with a fast action tip with both baitcaster and spinning rods for use in heavy cover cause I have difficulty getting good hooksets in thick weeds with medium power rods. I use medium power spinning for everything else. I don't like medium power baitcasters but it's more personal preference and feel than anything else.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:44 AM, BillM said:

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/102572-5-senko-and-hook-weight/

not sure how accurate this is but a 5 inch senko and a 3/0 wide gap hook is 3/8ths of an ounce, very doable with a baitcaster.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:44 AM, BillM said:

I Agree with the above. Casting rod is the way to go. I use a heavy action fast tipped avid x casting rod and casts even 3" seniors no problem. just have to have the tension knob set. 

On 4/25/2019 at 9:29 PM, OhioFisherman said:

Great rod for the money! I use a couple for my panfish & brookie fishing! It really depends on your budget, at a slightly higher price point the new Daiwa Tatula rods are awesome. They've gone back to cork handles which I love! There is a 7'2" Meavy Heavy model TTU721MHFS which is nice & stout! 

• Like 1