Kings, kings and more kings.

BillM

One of the things I miss about not living in St.Catharines anymore is the early season big lake fishing.  Born and raised in St.Catharines, the spring salmon derby was my fav time of year.   Although living in Barrie gets me access to a lot more water up here, I still usually get the boat wet a few times down there each spring with some browns, lakers and some early kings.    Alarm clock went off at 2:30, on the road by 3 at the ramp by 5.   3rd one in the lot, not to shabby.   Got everything rigged and ready to go and we were off.  Headed west towards Jordan, was thinking of getting out the mast and planner boards but just much work int he dark, so we just stuck with dipsys and the riggers.   Well as soon as I could safely turn off the nav lights, all hell breaks loose.   Riggers going off, dipsys going off, trying to drive the boat, it was chaos.  At one point we had a triple header and one rod sat in the rigger for a good 10mins while we tried to land both our fish.   I haven't had a day like this on Lake O in a loooooong time.    The girlfriend got all the rigger fish and I got all the dipsy fish, I've reeled in enough salmon she hasn't so she was on rod duty.   We got fish on spoons, SD/flies and MC Rockets.  I didn't even both to put a body bait down or use the planner boards today.   Wolfpacks of 3/4 fish were marked and then the rods would pop.  What an awesome day.   All kings, biggest maybe 15lb?   All really nice clean fish.    After a while we stopped taking pics and just tossed the fish back.   Bite died at around 11am and that was it.   Fun fun day, the gf says her arms are sore, lol.

rtNWdPql.jpg

Q0liAYql.jpg

oOtZaeRl.jpg

oz5CNKBl.jpg

zzhozi6l.jpg

gJdYMyxl.jpg

tZL3ex3l.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, misfish said:

I could of used a small one for the smoker. Wish I knew you were going.

Nice bunch of fish there bud.

Smallest was about 10lbs.   If I would have caught a few in the 3-5lb they would have made their way to the livewell.    

Great fishing. The thing I Iike most about Lake O than Erie is generally it has calm water like you had. We have never been blown off Ontario but too many times to count on Erie. Nothing more disappointing than getting up early full of P and vinegar and find it blowing like mad. 

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Great fishing. The thing I Iike most about Lake O than Erie is generally it has calm water like you had. We have never been blown off Ontario but too many times to count on Erie. Nothing more disappointing than getting up early full of P and vinegar and find it blowing like mad. 

We fished Erie a lot when I was a kid and living in St.Catharines... It's scary how fast that lake whips up!  

• Like 1

The fishing gods were shining on you both, well done.  Various derbies out here during the season. Lots of activity at our launch, and a lot of fished weighed in.

We have 55,000 chinook salmon fry in our pens

We also have a  kids derby each year, currently being held in September.

Little plug for the club.

4 hours ago, BillM said:

We fished Erie a lot when I was a kid and living in St.Catharines... It's scary how fast that lake whips up!  

In the last 3 years Bill we have been blown off more times that we can get the boats in the drink. The older I get the more I won't risk it. I get paid to get excited not pay to get excited is one of many mottos I have =. Only a few years back we would go out in the fog and couldn't see 3 boat lengths, idiots. I have another saying about the Big E. "In by 7 off by 11." 

Those are some beauty's you have there, the fish too. I have to know what's wrong with that girl to be hanging with the likes of you Bill?? Looks like a keeper bro. 

We are almost ready to put the 4 sale sign on the lawn. Looking at Pt. Colbourne to Ft. Erie  to the Falls. Close to some world class fishing in the Niagara Peninsula. Put an offer on a property in Chippewa. Didn't get it. 

11 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

In the last 3 years Bill we have been blown off more times that we can get the boats in the drink. The older I get the more I won't risk it. I get paid to get excited not pay to get excited is one of many mottos I have =. Only a few years back we would go out in the fog and couldn't see 3 boat lengths, idiots. I have another saying about the Big E. "In by 7 off by 11." 

Those are some beauty's you have there, the fish too. I have to know what's wrong with that girl to be hanging with the likes of you Bill?? Looks like a keeper bro. 

We are almost ready to put the 4 sale sign on the lawn. Looking at Pt. Colbourne to Ft. Erie  to the Falls. Close to some world class fishing in the Niagara Peninsula. Put an offer on a property in Chippewa. Didn't get it. The prices in St. Kitts have gone crazy. My niece bought a small story and 1/2 handyman's special across from a shut down GM plant and paid a ridiculous price. Over 300K. 

Ooops

Edited by Old Ironmaker