39th Annual Orilia Perch Festival

David Chong

Thrilled to be asked to be the "Honourary Chairperson" for the 39th Annual Orillia Perch Festival again this year. This event is one of the largest events of its type in Canada and makes for great family fishing fun! Lots of prizes to be won for both adults and kids, there are 72 tagged perch worth $500 each and of course the grand prize of a boat, motor & trailer package. The event started on Sat. April 20th and runs until Sat. May 11th, 2019 entry fee is only $20 for an adult and children under 16 are only $5. The OPP are hosting a Kids Day on Sat. May 4, 2019 out of Tudhope Park from 11 AM to 1 PM. This is an event that is all about Accessible, Affordable Fishing for All! You can register at the Perch Festival headquarters at Tudhope Park on Atherley Rd.Come on up to Orillia and enjoy some perch fishing, hope to see you there!

2019 Orillia Perch Festival-001.jpg

Orillia Perch Festival-190419-002-E.jpg

• Like 1

When my kids where small we went every year for the kids day. The one year a work buddies daughter won the chopper ride around the area. Neither him or his wife are flyers and I think they where more nervous about the ride  than  their  daughter was. A great event and I'm happy it's still going on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, crappieperchhunter said:

When my kids where small we went every year for the kids day. The one year a work buddies daughter won the chopper ride around the area. Neither him or his wife are flyers and I think they where more nervous about the ride  than  their  daughter was. A great event and I'm happy it's still going on.

Lots of memories have been made at this event! I used to spend my vacations in Orillia growing up as my aunt & uncle ran the Golden Dragon in town and we chased perch at the Orchard Point & Town docks! Great memories!

8 hours ago, bigugli said:

Spent a lot of time there with the kids during perchfest. Often playing a little hookie from school for an extra day of family fun. Sadly the majority of shore spots are now privatized. So we stopped going.

Yes, sadly although there are still some shore access, we have lost a lot! Probably the biggest loss was the Orchard Point Pier which I spent tons of time at as a kid! ???

David, The idea of Perchfest and all it stands for are great, but if they can't open up a decent amount of shore spots to fish from, it is very limiting. Always been a complaint of mine.

The good people of Orillia really need to get their act together and open things up at least during the derby.

• Like 1

I actually do most of my fishing at this event from various shore spots.There is just not as many as previously available. The good people from Orillia have mostly the same issues when it comes to shore fishing! The loss of these areas are usually a result of a small minority abusing the privilege by littering and not repeating the properties of others. 

• Like 2