5G coming soon. Is it safe or unsafe?

cisco

I think South Korea has 35000+ of the new 5G access points so we're gonna find out pretty quick i think. They have 250,000 customer out of the gate and the first phones launch May 10th.

For Canada, 4G service makes so much more sense since low frequencies travel further than high frequencies. as such we're likely to be saturating 4G LTE everywhere for a while before 5G mini-cells start replacing them for most usage. In the cities, who knows. I think we're gonna see it at stadiums and malls just because of the performance. I thought it might be good mention that your 5G router is a very likely 5Ghz router which is different than 5G wireless technology. Most home wifi is 802.11ac which is 5Ghz and has been around since about 2013. The routers that use the 5G technology that we are worried about use the 60Ghz spectrum, but have only been around 6-8 months at the consumer level. This is 'WiGig' or 802.11ad. These are available in the 350-500 dollar price range but it's good to keep in mind that 60Ghz wifi won't bi-sect a wall. It's wave form won't penetrate a wall. The 5G devices that might be used could be higher or lower than 60Ghz, I think they are looking at 24-40Ghz stuff but I'm a network guy not a cellular phone expert. To some extent, the answer to getting away from Bell's 5G might be to go inside your house. If you want to cover your brain so it doesn't get hit by 5G radiation, you can very likely use a magazine or your hand, you won't need a tinfoil hat. 

• Like 1

" Colin quote... To some extent, the answer to getting away from Bell's 5G might be to go inside your house. "

Colin, I can't see that being correct if it will be used 'everywhere'. It has to be able to go inside bldgs or else what good is it? Rogers is telling me my old crap must be updated to new or I'm out. So if I'm inside and my old crap won't work and the new 5G crap can't get inside to me to work  ???

Something is missing here. 5G must be able to get inside somehow. Making any sense?

31 minutes ago, cisco said:

" Colin quote... To some extent, the answer to getting away from Bell's 5G might be to go inside your house. "

Colin, I can't see that being correct if it will be used 'everywhere'. It has to be able to go inside bldgs or else what good is it? Rogers is telling me my old crap must be updated to new or I'm out. So if I'm inside and my old crap won't work and the new 5G crap can't get inside to me to work  ???

Something is missing here. 5G must be able to get inside somehow. Making any sense?

5G covers the 6GHz band , so you'd likely only get a 4G in a house.. 

53 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

I don't know if any of the techies can decipher it but my Rogers router has a 2.4G and a 5G light that flashes.

That means it can/is receiving signals in both frequencies, effectively giving you more bandwidth.

Cheers

34 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

That means it can/is receiving signals in both frequencies, effectively giving you more bandwidth.

Cheers

NOPE!!!

It means your router is dual band and when set up you can connect to either 2.4 ghz or the 5 ghz radio but not both at the same time.

My wireless access points at the college I work for are dual band to help with congestion. We have 7 floors of apartments above us and because of that our top (3rd) floor suffers from a lot of congestion from all the wireless devices used in the apartments.

5G on that floor is more reliable as a result.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

NOPE!!!

It means your router is dual band and when set up you can connect to either 2.4 ghz or the 5 ghz radio but not both at the same time.

My wireless access points at the college I work for are dual band to help with congestion. We have 7 floors of apartments above us and because of that our top (3rd) floor suffers from a lot of congestion from all the wireless devices used in the apartments.

5G on that floor is more reliable as a result.

It's probably the microwave ovens in the apartments, those things play hell with 2.4 ghz wifi ? 

9 hours ago, dave524 said:

It's probably the microwave ovens in the apartments, those things play hell with 2.4 ghz wifi ? 

NAH, it's cordless phones, wifi, game controllers etc. 

When I do a scan using heat mapper I get over 100 WiFi hot spots showing up just on the third floor. 

It's ridiculously congested. We are supposed to be getting a new campus as we transition into a polytechnic university.

Time will tell if we get there before I retire though. ;)

https://www.ekahau.com/products/heatmapper/overview/

25 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

NAH, it's cordless phones, wifi, game controllers etc. 

When I do a scan using heat mapper I get over 100 WiFi hot spots showing up just on the third floor. 

It's ridiculously congested. We are supposed to be getting a new campus as we transition into a polytechnic university.

Time will tell if we get there before I retire though. ;)

https://www.ekahau.com/products/heatmapper/overview/

cool toy, all I know is my wife screams that she lost connection when I am in the kitchen using the microwave, this has gone on through 2 microwaves, a Acer and now a HP laptop. Changing channels on the 2.4 didn't help, guess the microwave is pretty broad band, the new router has 5 Ghz and going to that solved the b*tching, I mean the problem.

9 minutes ago, dave524 said:

cool toy, all I know is my wife screams that she lost connection when I am in the kitchen using the microwave, this has gone on through 2 microwaves, a Acer and now a HP laptop. Changing channels on the 2.4 didn't help, guess the microwave is pretty broad band, the new router has 5 Ghz and going to that solved the b*tching, I mean the problem.

It is a pretty cool tool.

I can even import my floor plans and it overlays the map.

I can see weak zones in the classes and halls and adjust my access points accordingly.

22 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

NOPE!!!

I guess it depends on how you look at it Dave. Many of the dual band routers are MIMO which means that you get to use more devices at a time without loss of signal, so effectively giving you more bandwidth to use. Plus the lower speed is best for going thru walls for wifi so the net result is more usable bandwidth. I get what you said about only one frequency at a time but the newer standards like WiFi6 and 802.11 AX allow the use of both frequencies at the same time. I did debate using the word "is" when I typed it.

The premise of my statement was that with a dual band router you have way more available bandwidth, and I still stand by that. I'll leave it with this from LinkSys on the pros of dual band routers.

• Being the current market standard, dual-band routers might surpass their single-band cousins in cost, but they still sport entry-level prices
  • With more modern hardware, dual-band routers offer more range and stability than singe-band routers
  • Compatibility with recent 5 GHz-friendly devices, such as the Google Pixel, iPhone 7, and PlayStation 4 Pro
  • Twice the bandwidth of single-band routers (or more)

Cheers

14 hours ago, dave524 said:

Someones going to grow a tail if they keep using that thing...lol

Art

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, cisco said:

Obviously there is a great degree of speculation here as to what 5G even is. 

I googled 'scientific concerns about 5G and here is the first link that to me anyway provides an insight to it and concerns from scientists around the world. 

https://ehtrust.org/key-issues/cell-phoneswireless/5g-networks-iot-scientific-overview-human-health-risks/

This is the internet equivalent to making your own website to prove your point in a forum. This is 100% biased. Every single article is trying to forward your point on this site. 

Just imagine what you are proposing. Marine radar is up to 40Ghz, is that no longer safe? 

https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/electromagnetic-compatibility-division/radio-frequency-safety/faq/rf-safety#block-menu-block-4

WHAT IS NON-IONIZING RADIATION?

"Ionization" is a process by which electrons are stripped from atoms and molecules.  This process can produce molecular changes that can lead to damage in biological tissue, including effects on DNA, the genetic material of living organisms.  This process requires interaction with high levels of electromagnetic energy.  Those types of electromagnetic radiation with enough energy to ionize biological material include X-radiation and gamma radiation.  Therefore, X-rays and gamma rays are examples of ionizing radiation.

The energy levels associated with RF and microwave radiation, on the other hand, are not great enough to cause the ionization of atoms and molecules, and RF energy is, therefore, is a type of non-ionizing radiation.  Other types of non-ionizing radiation include visible and infrared light.  Often the term "radiation" is used, colloquially, to imply that ionizing radiation (radioactivity), such as that associated with nuclear power plants, is present.  Ionizing radiation should not be confused with the lower-energy, non-ionizing radiation with respect to possible biological effects, since the mechanisms of action are quite different. (Back to Index)

Don't get upset Colin! I just googled 'concerns over 5G' or something similar. I linked a couple that addressed 'concerns'. That some 120-36 scientists have signed a petition from 36 or something countries says care should be exercised does concern me. I have no position /point of view other than this stuff may prove harmful so proper research should be carried out before we get stuck with it. 

You are saying it is of no concern to you yet haven't come up with any links that provide more than opinion from its promoters. What 5G radiation effects on flora and fauna has been done? Seriously Colin. I would like to review some of this. 

OK then Colin (hope yours is healthy after 5G BTW) haha.....

then why is it that Brussels, Israel and looks like Australia maybe soon doesn't want it yet?

Why Colin? And why is one of the above having 20 engineers developing a 5G 'cloud' to give it to a neighboring jurisdiction that they oppose? Why Colin? This really makes me wonder if the stuff has an effect we may not like.

My guess is these places want to have research that supports that it is safe before they accept it. I think that's smart.

Oh and if you are right re the website thing, why would anyone do this unless there were concerns? 

Everything is comprised of electrons and such. Some things are very delicate. Shake em up and who knows? Let's do proper research before the shaking starts is what many are saying Colin. If you think it is not needed then fine. Have a nice day. Nice to hear your personal opinion. Honestly I  have to chuckle when you seem to be saying that until electrons are stripped (ionized) from atoms and molecules all is OK. All is perfectly fine until that line is crossed. Scary to imagine this perspective Colin.    

Another website a few down when I typed into Google.... research showing 5G is safe...

https://ehtrust.org/scientific-research-on-5g-and-health/

Edited by cisco
  • Like 1

Older data is sometimes not applicable today , frequencies and radiation have changed a lot over the years with the development of technology. Remember when TV channels 70 to 83 disappeared, that became the original 2 analog cellphone bands, 30 plus years ago.

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:31 AM, dave524 said:

Older data is sometimes not applicable today , frequencies and radiation have changed a lot over the years with the development of technology. Remember when TV channels 70 to 83 disappeared, that became the original 2 analog cellphone bands, 30 plus years ago.

So you disagree with the info Marketplace has shown? That was with the older less powerful stuff. Now with 5G it will be one of three things.... better, worse, or the same effect on users.

I'm not an expert and seems things are pointing to the 'worse' scenario.  IMO people who have been using even the 'old stuff' are or are getting 'hooked' and will for sure be in the 'denial zone'. They don't want to reduce the frequency (pun intended) of their 'fun' habit of using their devices. They also don't want to consider that their devices are harming them or their family, and will even blindly argue that IT CAN'T BE HARMFUL!!!!!!. 

I'll leave it there. IMHO this crap is Darwinism on the massive scale. We are dumming down and changing from sheep to lemmings from this stuff.   

Get earphones and use cases not your pockets to carry the devices around to provide at least a 5mm distance. That's re the older stuff. The new 5G stuff with transmitters pegged everywhere to light poles and such.... well.... ignorance is bliss so enjoy and don't even think about it.