A great way to replace Gas BBQ burner tents

Old Ironmaker

There is always a diffuser over the burners on a gas BBQ. Most of my 5 tent like diffusers are toast after 5 years. I had some left over 2X3 steel studs from our reno. I cut them to length and drilled a few holes in them. New BBQ burner tents that I don't need to go out and buy, that is if they are available. You might have to McGiver them for your specific Q. Please don't tell me I will get Cancer from the heated Steel cooking my meat. My neighbour already told me that. I don't know how she can get around lugging that big giant brain of hers. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You should be OK as long as they are not galvanized, seriously at our age and years in the steel industry I think we would be immune by now.  Lowes seemed to have the cheapest one size fits all diffuser tent last time I looked  , I need 3  https://www.lowes.ca/bbq-grill-replacement-parts/char-broil-adjustable-porcelain-coated-steel-heat-tent_g2664137.html

Dave, I remember the very 1st time I went north of Orillia to a young ladies devoutly religious parents cottage. I had to be 21 or so. That fresh air hit me big time and I couldn't stay awake all weekend. They thought I was sneaking booze or on drugs I'm positive because that's what they told her. I remember calling home a few times from one of the Blast Furnaces during the summer and asked how the weather was? My wife said it's beautiful, look outside, I think stupid was used. Outside was an envelope of atmosphere you had to cut with a chainsaw. You know of what I speak. 

I'm not sure if it is galvanized steel. It doesn't look like it but a good point. It is a Chinese or Vietnamese built unit I'm sure and who knows what the original metal is in those things. Paid 130 bucks at a Brantford liquidators. Actually I bought all 15 they had. No way were porcelain coated. With my meager pension it has to be supplemented some how, anyhoo. Unless you are paying 600 or more bucks for a BBQ from a Canuck manufacturer like Vermont castings or a US company like Weber who knows what materials are in them. I saw a 3 burner Vermont Castings gas Q on CHCH TV Morning Live this past week for something like $1500.00, oh my, someone buys them. Meat not included. 

Maybe it would be prudent to delete this thread. I don't want a class action suit brought on by fellow members of OFC to defend. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I am going to look into whether steel studs are galv. The lumber yard must have WHIMIS  data sheets for them. 

Well unless they specifically have non galvanized studs, H/D, Rona, Lowes, etc all list them as galvanized steel.  I wouldn't use them.

The metal studs are definitely galvanized! Heating them will allow the zinc to burn off. Not something you want to ingest in your food.

The gauge of them are so thin that they will not last long at all. Just take one of the old ones to any sheet metal shop. They will be able to bend you up a set of thicker gauge ones without the galvanized coating.

As far as the gauge of these studs I have they are thicker than the cheap tents it came with. No more cooking with them. Thanks to all that pointed the hazard(s) out, my met background confirms this. I didn't even consider that they might be galv. Now I have to go out and get all those I sold. A recall of sorts, laff out loud, which I think means I'm just kidding. I didn't sell any, just gave them out for free. Back to the drawing board.

It makes me wonder if any of these cheap imported offshore BBQ's and those small charcoal fired Q's and cheap Hibachis talked about on Big Cliff's thread have metal in them that are hazardous to our, and most importantly, our little babies health? Who checks? 

28 minutes ago, Rattletrap2 said:

The metal studs are definitely galvanized! Heating them will allow the zinc to burn off. Not something you want to ingest in your food.

The gauge of them are so thin that they will not last long at all. Just take one of the old ones to any sheet metal shop. They will be able to bend you up a set of thicker gauge ones without the galvanized coating.

Yes thank you Rattletrap2. I do have access to light gauge plate that I can put on the industrial brake. Who knows what it's met analysis is?  Back to square 1?

I know many folks that have Q'd food on chromed refrigerator racks. I sure have. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker