Throwd outa that there boat

captpierre

A friend of mine was fishing alone in the late fall on Lake Nipissing in a 14 foot aluminum boat, when he got to

the Manitou Islands to fish he was excited to get a line wet and shut the engine down 

BUT he left the engine in gear.  When it was time to go home, he stood up to start the engine,

it started and the thrust threw him right out of the boat, he was all alone, no lift jacket on and 

his boat started to go round and round him, he got close enough to grab a piece of rope that was

hanging over the side of the boat and he managed to pull himself up and into the moving boat.

Then he had a long and very cold fast ride back to his home in Callander Bay,

He almost died that day but got back home and survived,  plain lucky..

He even said how stupid his decisions were that day.

I have a story, of course, of a fellow OFC member that I met for the very 1st time that fell out of my boat still fishing for Jumbos here on Erie. It was early May and the water was very cold. He stripped down to his tightey whiteys and like a gift from the God's a warm wind blew and dried his shirt and jeans within a few minutes. We were away from the pack of fishing people, had we been in tight with the other boats that would have been funny. It was funny regardless, sorry Al&^%t, I will leave it at that because the story has several different root causes and endings. We did get a bucket of plus 10 inchers though. 

30 minutes ago, npt1 said:

A friend of mine was fishing alone in the late fall on Lake Nipissing in a 14 foot aluminum boat, when he got to

the Manitou Islands to fish he was excited to get a line wet and shut the engine down 

BUT he left the engine in gear.  When it was time to go home, he stood up to start the engine,

it started and the thrust threw him right out of the boat, he was all alone, no lift jacket on and 

his boat started to go round and round him, he got close enough to grab a piece of rope that was

hanging over the side of the boat and he managed to pull himself up and into the moving boat.

Then he had a long and very cold fast ride back to his home in Callander Bay,

He almost died that day but got back home and survived,  plain lucky..

He even said how stupid his decisions were that day.

I don't scare easily but that would have made me soil myself. A prop spinning by your head is not a good thing. Wear your life jacket at all times folks, if that can happen anything can. 

My uncle was up in northern AB at a property or his and him and his associate decided to take the boat out for an evening fish. A local bar regular was about and my uncles associate invited him out for the fish. Wouldn’t you know it they are out in the middle of the lake and the regular falls in. My uncle quickly flips him the safety line and the guy is just not moving and staring right at my uncle and his associate. The guy sinks and is gone. 

They call 911 and after some intense questioning from the police the divers find the guys body. A scary day on the water indeed.

that'd be brutal to witness. wonder if the regular had a cardiac event.

but back to the tossed boater, he was supremely lucky he wasn't ginsued by the prop. if he had been wearing his tether, it would be a simple thing to climb back in and keep on keeping on. was hoping the rescuers would have mentioned the need for kill cords and why everyone shld clip them on every time they boat.

Edited by woodenboater