kapuskasing - Any advice on what to do?

AKRISONER

Hey Guys,

Ive got some work up in Kapuskasing so I will be spending a couple of days up there in 2 weeks time. Which also means that I will have some evenings to burn. My guess is that its still ice fishing season up there. I also know it lies on a river so maybe thats open to some casting? Any tips at all that a local or someone with some knowledge could recommend I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to PM or just reply here.

It was many summers ago, but I camped out of Rene Brunelle Provincial Park on Remi lake, which is I think is about 20 min East of Kapuskasing.  Out of our canoe we chucked spoons for big pike around the islands and narrows in the Southern end of the lake.  Talked to some guy who said good walleye can be found on shoals but we were blind and this was before any of us had the navionics maps (back then I don't think the app existed lol - I had a siemens phone).  He also said there was a smaller lake with a creek between there and Kapuskasing that held small brookies but we never ventured out there and I don't recall the name.  Never went into town itself so couldn't speak to the river.  I imagine it would hold pike and walleye.

I was in Kapuskasing last Wednesday. It was -15 C and  snow. Didn't see anyone fishing - people spend more time snowmobiling i guess. Saw at least 100 snowmobiles. River was open in the town so you might be able to cast if season is open.

Good luck

13 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Not to be bummer, but I think the area is kind of poor. There's 8k people in Kap but not many lakes in the area to disperse the pressure. 

Ice fishing in May is cool though, post some pics if it happens.

we shall see! supposed to be pretty darn warm, even up there over the next little bit so Im not so sure I would want to venture out on ice that I dont know at all. May try and cast the river somewhere and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...