Flat top or ring elements NF

Big Cliff

8 hours ago, big guy said:

Cleaning a flat top is a piece of cake. Just get a product called Weiman Glass top cleaner, you can get it at Home Hardware. Pour it on, wipe with paper towel to clean, then wipe off with another paper towel. Similar to waxing a car. Do it every couple of weeks or after you've had a big spill over and it'll stay like new. And they don't scratch easy at all. A hell of a lot easier than cleaning an element stove where you have to take all parts off and soak them, pain in the ass.

My crew uses that stuff too, it is sold in a spray bottle here and available at Walmart or most bigger grocery stores.

16 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Take a sniff of that stuff and then Nu Finish car wax in the orange container.  pretty much the same stuff.

Maybe same sent, but not the same stuff.  Wax does not belong on a glass top.  The other cleaners are generally acid based (like citric acid) with a mild abrasive.

We had all three over the years (never had induction though).  Gas is the best by far.  One problem with glass that makes a major difference for me is not being able to use cast iron pans for searing any more.  1. they are not flat bottom so they don't sit right, 2. they scratch the surface 3. not hot enough.  Our "old" appliances move from home to the cottage.  Gas at home now, electric up north.  But we have NG at the cottage (near Penetang) so once I retire, its a new gas stove at home and the one at home goes up north.

If you stay with electric, the old style rings are the way to go. They don't look cool but they work great and are easy to replace. Otherwise, go with gas, you won't regret it. Besides, if the power goes out, you still have a source of heat to cook with. 

5 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Boy I really appreciate all the replies and incite, you guys have really helped me narrow it down, thank you! Based on your replies I put together a pros/cons list and it looks like I am going to go with the propane. ?

You won't regret that decision at all. I've now had propane now for 6 years and I would never go back. The only problem I've ever had was getting the heat down low enough to not scorch the bottom on thick sauces. I have to use my smallest burner on low and then use the warmer shelf on the counter and grate to lift the pot 4 inches off the burner, so Cliff you'll need to consider that and find something to raise your pot off the burner.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

We have a glass top and clean it often with Weiman but it takes quite a bit of elbow grease. I guess ours must have quite a few small scratches--that's why it's harder to clean. 

I have had natural gas and I like it. If it were just up to me we'd have a gas stove. Re costs--if it rises due to the carbon tax you will quite likely get that refunded on your income tax(something that conveniently left out of the political statemnets that we hear.)

We have a dual fuel range. Electric oven, propane cook top. It’s hooks up to two 20 lb propane tanks. When one runs out, switch the valve to the second tank and replace the empty next time we go to town. We go through about 4 tanks a year. 

We are a few weeks from putting the Real Estate sign on the lawn and started looking online for a new shack. My wife won't bother showing me a place unless it has Natural Gas. I will never go back to electric. I, we don't bake.

One should never say never. If it had 5 wind turbines and a roof of solar panels I might think about it, maybe.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, ketchenany said:

You should get a propane gas burner. I have used one for years when I boil my tomatoes for the sauce. Readily available during tomato season (late Aug/Sept) in Woodbridge.

My first one laste 40 years.

11A8D414-399B-424D-80E9-C0F952799B93.jpeg

I have 4 of them. Use them for everything from canning, maple syrup finishing, to fish fry's. I run two at a time off a 100lb tank. 

S.