Flat top or ring elements NF

Big Cliff

Well, it's time for me to buy a new stove and I am having a really hard time deciding which one to buy. The trend seems to be toward flat tops but never having one I'm a little hesitant to go that route, I've been told that they can be finicky to clean and polish, are prone to scratching, and you have to be very careful what pans you use on them.

The ring elements; well, I know they can be a pain to clean if you do have a spill but but I'm pretty careful and that doesn't happen too often. I sort of like the fact that if an element does burn out it's easy to repair..... Who has what and would you buy that again and if so why/why not?

The other question I have is : Stainless or white, I was going to go with white but it seems that stainless is the trend right now and my choices in white is somewhat limited, I've been told that stainless shows finger prints and such like crazy. Again, not a huge deal but I'm looking for feedback.

Any other concerns/recommendations?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Our sears flat top is about 8-10 years and just a piece of crap to keep clean. What I do like about it is the element at about 3/4 and lower shuts on and off making heat more even. And likely a little more efficient.

I would look for something easier to clean.

• Like 1

Depends as much on usage as anything. Some love the glas tops ans swear by them. I do know that if the top goes, you are into a new stove. I've seen a couple that have cracked or shattered.

Perhaps not as much a sticking point for you....    Glass tops are not recommended for anyone who does any canning or pickling. They do not run hot enough from what I understand. Even better here are the reasons.

https://foodinjars.com/blog/canning-101-can-safely-can-glass-top-stove/

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

Depends as much on usage as anything. Some love the glas tops ans swear by them. I do know that if the top goes, you are into a new stove. I've seen a couple that have cracked or shattered.

Perhaps not as much a sticking point for you....    Glass tops are not recommended for anyone who does any canning or pickling. They do not run hot enough from what I understand. Even better here are the reasons.

https://foodinjars.com/blog/canning-101-can-safely-can-glass-top-stove/

Thanks Bruce, some interesting reading there

Glass tops, ring tops, I'm sure both get their fare share of cuss words directed at them.  Our last one was a solid element one, a royal pain, takes forever to heat up and forever to cool down.  Our present one is a hybrid induction and infra red,  2 burners of each.  Induction is sooooo much faster and efficient than the other ones.  Only thing you have to check is make sure the bottom of your pots are magnetic or they won't work on the induction side.  Cast iron also works,  some aluminum and copper ones will if they have the steel insert built into them.   Most of the newer pots and pans will have it marked on the bottom for induction.

1 hour ago, Gerritt said:

Is gas/propane an option Cliff? By far superior in mho, and they function during power outages as well...

I'd go gas if possible

I'll also agree with Gerritt

We had a natural gas stove in Toronto for 42 years and have been using propane here for the last 9 years and I would never go back to an electric stove.

Instant heat, fast cool down and much easier to regulate when cooking.

Of course this is just all stuff my wife tells me LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some really good points, I could go with propane, I did have it out at Snug Harbour, I'd have to get lines run which I'm told would cost me about $500.00 then there is the cost of the stove. Cleaning is about the same as ring type burners although I did find propane discolored the bottoms of my pots and pans. Might be something to consider especially if we can get rid of this "carbon cash grab".

3 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

although I did find propane discolored the bottoms of my pots and pans. 

Never ever had that happen to our pots with either NG or propane Cliff and am wondering if you weren't getting a proper mixture of air & gas and were somehow getting a "dirty" flame that was causing the problem.

I had to break down and buy a new stove about 5 years ago and went with a glass top stainless front, my home is all electric.

If you have a problem with a burner? you may have to replace to whole top? You probably have to be much more careful not to drop anything heavy on them?

No kids or grandkids climbing on counters and walking across the stove top to get at cabinets above it?

Quality pots and pans? if they don't sit flat on the surface?

I really haven't been able to cook or clean since we got the new stove, my crew handles it, haven't heard of any other complaints from them.

We have used a glass top for a number of years now and the only thing that has bothered me is the scratching, which I can look past.  We do canning on ours (probably where the scratches came from), but the weight issue is a thought that I didn't necessarily consider. Hmm.

Our  flat top is 7 years old Cliff. We love it and will stick with flat tops from now on. Much easier to clean then messing with a burner and cleaning those rings after any kind of spill. Wipe with a cloth and you are done.  A flat top also adds counter space to your kitchen, which is very helpful if you have a smaller kitchen like we do.When we bring groceries in we just dump them on the stove top  and organize from there rather then trying to fit grocery bags or totes on the counter or having to walk across the room to but them on the kitchen table. We also use the stove top as a work area if we are both in the kitchen.  I can get out a cutting board and do meal prep work on the stove top while Debbe is using the counter or sitting at the table.  To each there own but we are very happy with the flat top. 

Cliff we had a flattop for many years and worked well. Wife kept it spotlessl When Hydro went through the roof we decided to give it up and go with Natural gas. Best move ever. WE kept the  flat top (16 years) and will be at my daughter's rental. 

Natural gas is faster and cheaper. No more pilot lights . . . easy to clean with the full tray at the base. Three years and nothing wrong so far.

Edited by ketchenany

Cleaning a flat top is a piece of cake. Just get a product called Weiman Glass top cleaner, you can get it at Home Hardware. Pour it on, wipe with paper towel to clean, then wipe off with another paper towel. Similar to waxing a car. Do it every couple of weeks or after you've had a big spill over and it'll stay like new. And they don't scratch easy at all. A hell of a lot easier than cleaning an element stove where you have to take all parts off and soak them, pain in the ass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big guy said:

Cleaning a flat top is a piece of cake. Just get a product called Weiman Glass top cleaner, you can get it at Home Hardware. Pour it on, wipe with paper towel to clean, then wipe off with another paper towel. Similar to waxing a car. Do it every couple of weeks or after you've had a big spill over and it'll stay like new. And they don't scratch easy at all. A hell of a lot easier than cleaning an element stove where you have to take all parts off and soak them, pain in the ass.

Debbe uses that cleaner and it does work good. I just scrub with a little comet.  I don't know what others are doing to get scratches? We are not gentle with ours and it still looks brand new.

21 minutes ago, big guy said:

Take a sniff of that stuff and then Nu Finish car wax in the orange container.  pretty much the same stuff.

3 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Some really good points, I could go with propane, I did have it out at Snug Harbour, I'd have to get lines run which I'm told would cost me about $500.00 then there is the cost of the stove. Cleaning is about the same as ring type burners although I did find propane discolored the bottoms of my pots and pans. Might be something to consider especially if we can get rid of this "carbon cash grab".

I'm pretty sure the carbon tax will affect everything we use in the long run. Electricity produced using gas will have. . . . 

We have a flat top. Its ok, but I liked the gas in our last place better. The flat top takes longer to boil a big pot of water, and it sucks for finishing maple syrup, where the gas was awesome for that. Its 6 of one, half a dozen of the other though at the end of the day. 

S. 

1 hour ago, Sinker said:

The flat top takes longer to boil a big pot of water, and it sucks for finishing maple syrup, where the gas was awesome for that. 

S. 

You should get a propane gas burner. I have used one for years when I boil my tomatoes for the sauce. Readily available during tomato season (late Aug/Sept) in Woodbridge.

My first one laste 40 years.

11A8D414-399B-424D-80E9-C0F952799B93.jpeg

From my prospective...(for what that’s worth) I grew up on gas stoves. Working on the road and in different fishing camps I’ve seen a bunch of various setups. I think it’s a personal prefrance. I’ve installed a number of gas lines to stoves and would usually be back at that certain residents sometime in the near future. I can honestly say they had nothing bad to say with regards to a gas stove except they wish they did it sooner...as far as the flat top vs. the coil top I don’t know. The flat top looks scheychy to me if something like a cast iron pan slips and hits it. I could be completely wrong and they can take a good deal of use and abuse, but the winner in my books is gas. Just my two cents. 

-Pidge